Holing Out for Eagle 2 Vs. HIO

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So playing a ho-hum round of golf today till the 9th fairway when I hole-out from 155 yards for eagle 2. Move to the par 4th 10th and nearly hole out again. So got me to thinking. I've been playing golf for 45 years and have 1 HIO, yet have several hole-outs from the fairway (i'm not including chips-ins but full swing shots). One would think that a HIO would happen with more frequency, as it requires only one shot, versus a eagle on a non-drivable par 4, which requires two shots. Go figure.IMG_1005 copy.jpgIMG_1006 copy.jpg

In addition, you get to tee up your ball and choose your lie on a par 3.

I usually hole out for 2 a couple of times a year on par 4's. Have made 1 HIO, without a witness so it didn't really count, in 41 years of playing.

In addition, you get to tee up your ball and choose your lie on a par 3.
But not your approach position. I have zero HIOs, but I've holed out a bunch in my life, and I think that's probably why. I'm playing myself into position to be aggressive and ultimately more successful on approach on par 4s. I don't get a choice on my line to the pin on a par 3.

Better players are usually weakest on par 3s for that same reason.

Last edited:
I have 6 hole outs for Eagle from 80 yards to 155 yards; I do not have a HIO.

I have one hole out for eagle on a par 4 and one hole in one.

Most layouts have ten par 4s versus just four par 3s. I've holed out four times for eagle 2 (ironically all were full 8 irons), I have one ace ... also an 8 iron.

Give me the ace, always.

I'll take the 1 all day everyday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have had the hole out for eagle....I want the ace.

I'll take an ace or a hole out. I'm not picky

I have more opportunities in the typical round to try and hole out for 2 on a par 4 than I do for an ace. That being said, I’ve never done either 😢

I have one Ace and have holed out for eagle three times on Par 4's and once on a Par 5. I've only ever made one eagle with my putter, about a 10-footer on a Par 5 I reached in two.

Trivia fact only interesting to me...two of my three Par 4 eagles were on the same hole, with the same club from virtually the same spot in the rough about six weeks apart. Very strange.

Since I have neither I’d be happy with either.

I have 3 or 4 hole outs for eagle. I'd be much happier with the 1.

The Ace. Always.

You never hear anyone brag or boast or mention a Hole out for Eagle.

It's the Ace.

I have 10 HIO but only 5 or 6 (that I can recall) shots holed either on a par 4 or 5 for eagle. Teeing the ball up for a perfect lie may make the HIO easier if that can be said at all. I believe holing out from the fairway and a HIO are as much about luck as they are skill.

I have 2 hole outs on second shots for Eagles on par 4's, and one hole out on my third shot on a par 5 for the same. But, in 50+ years of this game, I do not have a HIO! I've been close any number of times, but never did the deed!

Same here. More full swing hole outs from 100+ yards over the years than HIOs
Me, too, although the score is only 1 - 0 in favor of the 100+ yard hole outs.

I have holed out 4 times fro 100+ (110-130) for a few eagles and a birdie but never the HIO. Because it feels elusive I would say it's what I'm seeking.

Most layouts have ten par 4s versus just four par 3s. I've holed out four times for eagle 2 (ironically all were full 8 irons), I have one ace ... also an 8 iron.
Is your 8 iron for sale?

haha sure, but my magic hole out 8 irons would all be very old models.

Back