Hopkins Golf Wedges Preview Thread

Has anyone else experienced rusting on the satin finish wedges? I didn't think they would. My 60 is orange on the sole and the lower part of the face.

Slight blemish on my 54 on the face but nothing too bad, my other wedges are fine.

Has anyone else experienced rusting on the satin finish wedges? I didn't think they would. My 60 is orange on the sole and the lower part of the face.
If you wore through the plating it will rust. Sounds like this may be the case.

Hmm. I thought the Satin finish wouldn't rust, and that was the whole reason they offered it. I'd say an email pic to their CS wouldn't hurt.

Side note, I did nothing to accelerate the rusting if my raw Hopkins, and thought they would rust faster than they were. Since I haven't picked up my clubs since June 5, the wedges have rusted nicely. So non-use is the key to them rusting naturally (go figure).

It was after my week of not using them that I noticed it. I got home from Indy and played and when I saw my 60 was like WTC?!

I haven't noticed anything on my black satin club. The black finish has completely worn off the bottom from using it in the sand, but no rusting yet.

Tour Raw wedge is deeply discounted right now. If you're looking for wedges and are on a budget I don't know if you could get a better deal for the quality of the product here.

Buy one, get one 50% off.
Buy two, get one free.

I know it, I'm so tempted I love my 50*!

Tour Raw wedge is deeply discounted right now. If you're looking for wedges and are on a budget I don't know if you could get a better deal for the quality of the product here.

Buy one, get one 50% off.
Buy two, get one free.

This deal pushed me over the edge. Grabbed a 54 & 58. Full & heel grinds respectively. Didn't do any customization other than the KBS Hi-Rev shafts. Was planning on stripping the paintfill and going just straight raw finish, but after seeing some of the pictures re-reading this thread, I'm not sure. Either way these are going in the bag immediately.

Wedges come in tomorrow. Excited to get them in hand. Any long term pics of the coke bath wedges?

Sure, see attached. I've had these for about a year and they had their last coke bath several months ago. That said, while I love the way these look, I just play better with my Vokeys, so those are whats in the bag. I listed these Hopkins wedges awhile back, but no bites. They do have a "BG" custom initials stamp so I can understand why they'd be tough to move in a resell...not to mention the colors aren't to everyone's tastes either.

View attachment 16987
View attachment 16988
View attachment 16989

6db3604266c21ca2bb075787a586044d.jpg

b0c0cde5e72a9a9c9dc25fadc13c5f45.jpg

Dang you guys don't mess around. Thanks! Think that's going to happen first. Those look awesome. Wish they would have let me order them with no paintfill but citrus strip will take care of that.

Also, Hillary at Hopkins is awesome. Very helpful!

I didn't coke bath mine, I just let them rust as they wished. I think they look pretty badass. I'll get some pictures up tonight.

Also, it almost seems that during the round, the rust wears off (especially on the sole), but then as they sit in my bag in between rounds, rust back beyond the level they were previously at.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Oct. deal. I need a 56* bent to 55* and a 60*. I love the way the raw looks.
c8f91912b2f044eb210676d3be4f9f99.jpg
e01c81230287aae3bd78c10f49f44d77.jpg

That looks awesome. Did you do a coke bath or just let them color naturally?

Thanks. Yeah coke first to strip it down. Then I followed Jman and some of the other guys earlier posts. A mixture of peroxide and vinegar. I just played around with it. You can spray it and it will crust up nicely. You can always just put it back into coke to strip and start over. I think the last time I used apple cider vinegar. Have fun and the wedges are really nice.

Arrived today. This will be the before pic I'm sure.

325C3719-9B1D-4260-B69D-DDDA06A5CC03_zpsvuetvmfc.jpg

Looking good!

Just have to decide what to do with the finish & fill now. Thinking about leaving the paintfill in, doing the coke bath to darken them up, then stripping out the paint fill so it's a lighter shade of metal underneath. When you guys did the coke bath, did you dunk them up to the ferrule? Should I be worried about the coke getting in with the epoxy?

Just have to decide what to do with the finish & fill now. Thinking about leaving the paintfill in, doing the coke bath to darken them up, then stripping out the paint fill so it's a lighter shade of metal underneath. When you guys did the coke bath, did you dunk them up to the ferrule? Should I be worried about the coke getting in with the epoxy?

I made sure I stayed just below the ferrule just in case the coke would do anything to the epoxy. I doubt it would have, but I didnt want to risk it.

Just tape them up to be on the safe side.

Got some chipping in on my birdieball green last night to try and start to get a feel for these. I don't think they're considerably heavier than my J40, but the feel a little heftier in hand. Took a little bit to get the feel down but after a few misses I was hitting some good chips. Just straight up chipping, I found the 54 worked better for me but that's kind of what I expected. With the heel grind on the 58 I had no trouble opening up the face a little and hitting a little bit of a higher chip that checked a little and rolled out slowly. I also messed around with some toe down shots and had some decent success but that's something that I haven't really been utilizing lately and I need to get some more practice with to really dial in.

First impressions are pretty positive. Can't wait to get these out on the course.

So first round out with these was pretty positive. Still working on distance control a bit but I found the 58˚ with the heel grind really easy to pop the ball up in the air with. Was super windy so I got to do some work from an assortment of lies around the green. Other than a couple of lazy attempts I was pretty successful for the first time out with no real practice. Shots were going a little long, but they were on the green, which is all that matters for the first time out. Only hit the 54˚ a couple of times, but no complaints there either. Definitely digging these so far.

Another round in with these and the 58˚ is still impressing. Distance control is much better on chips, probably thanks to having the birdieball green in my basement. Pitches still need some work but I was consistently on the green. Even hit a beaut of a flop shot on 17. Never even tried it with this wedge yet, but I was playing pretty poorly and had nothing to lose so I went for it. Green about eye level with me and the ball sitting up in the rough about 5 yards off. Popped right up and trickled down just a bit to 3'. Definitely some luck, but probably my best shot of the day.

Only found the sand on the sides of the fairways, so other than a couple of shots from ~100ish, I didn't get much time with it. I managed to chunk or thin most of my shots with it, but that was more of a swing issue as I was having trouble across the board. Going to the range to work it out when the weather allows and these will definitely be with me.

Some light surface rust on these already but nothing crazy. I'll try to get some pics up this week.

Another round in and I continue to be impressed with the 58˚. Actually didn't hit the 54˚ on the course once, but made sure to get some practice in on the range. No complaints from my time there, but nothing super exciting to talk about either. Had some really good shots with the 58 though. Still working on distance with the longer chips and pitches but I'm really happy with it at the moment. Getting new wedges forced me to practice which is surely helping but I haven't been this confident with these sort of shots all year. I have been trying to really get the 58˚ dialed in before I start adding in other clubs. I spend more time with it practicing before every round and chipping at home when I get the time. Starting to pay off at least a little.

Here's what they look like currently. Stripped the paintfill out and there's been just a tiny bit of surface rust building on them. More of a discoloration than anything. On the fence with the coke bath now. Think they could look really cool if I let them 'age naturally'. That said the coked ones do look pretty awesome in their own right.

2a3d6679-bd5d-45fe-9107-34bbc7252295_zps37a838da.jpg

Back