Hot Take on Golf Hoodies

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I see them everywhere now.

When they first started to show up, I actually thought they made a lot of sense. The material was practical and the cut seemed appropriate for what I consider to be acceptable golf attire.

The variety of the material and presentation now is.. broad. I've seen materials that are thick and baggy and frankly, almost unkept. It's as though it became a gateway into sloppy golf style, which I am wholly against.

What say you? Has the evolution of golf hoodies been a bad one?

I am for more brands and types. There will be some that I find just awful; just because someone can wear it to their local muni does not make it a 'golf hoodie', but if the increase in types and materials yields more in the fitted, thinner, nice material realm as well, so be it. I think there is just more of everything now.

I think our entire culture has gone much more casual in accepted and preferred dress standards. When I started my career, it was coat and tie. We moved to casual Fridays. Now the dress is casual. Attending the theatre used to be ties. Now it is jeans. Coaches used to wear suits and ties. Now they wear sweats.

I am not advocating for it, but I am not sure why golf would be different, particularly as it becomes viewed more as an athletic activity.

Wear what you want, as long as you can accept the judgement from it. If the course allows it you can go for it, but if it’s a friend of mine I’ll probably give you a jab or two over it.

That said in terms of the nature of the thread, I don’t really care overall. People have been wearing jeans for decades now and nothing seems to stop them.

I am a fan of hoodies, I have many. However, I'm not a fan of hoodies being golf attire. I'd probably buy a couple golf hoodies to wear but I won't wear them while playing golf. IMO, hoodies should not be worn on the golf course.

I am a fan of hoodies, I have many. However, I'm not a fan of hoodies being golf attire. I'd probably buy a couple golf hoodies to wear but I won't wear them while playing golf. IMO, hoodies should not be worn on the golf course.
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

I don’t wear hoodies but I don’t hate them. I think the golf branded hoodies are still well kept but I think allowing them opens the gate to any hoodie, of which most look very sloppy

I wear more qtr zips than hoodies and have never worn one while playing. I do not mind the look but agree that sloppy is not a good look.

I don't care what people wear. Just respect the course, follow that course's dress code and be nice to fellow golfers.

Times change. Things 50 years ago don’t always make sense for today. Golf attire has evolved over the years and I am so glad it has. I love hoodies and golf. Adidas make some great, thin, flexible goodies that are made for the game. The game has attracted the masses since covid and if we are going to continue to “grow” the game, it has to continue to find ways to keep it appealing. You shouldn’t have to dress like you are going to church to play golf. By the way…it’s time for shorts on the PGA Tour.

I'm more curious about the evolution of the golf hoodie since we saw it pop up on Tour, but you're all welcome to say you love or hate them if you want as well haha

I wear golf hoodies a lot on and off the course, but agree for me personally I want them to look presentable and not all baggy/slouchy. Which is saying a lot as a... larger human being. Anything that's excessively loose is reserved for off course wear for me.

If the course allows it though, I don't have any real problem with others wearing whatever they want. I will say I don't know how people can wear the super baggy stuff and it not bother their swing.

I don't think it is bad. Most I think look good. Personally, my only complaint is the function.. They kinda bug me.

I see them everywhere now.

When they first started to show up, I actually thought they made a lot of sense. The material was practical and the cut seemed appropriate for what I consider to be acceptable golf attire.

The variety of the material and presentation now is.. broad. I've seen materials that are thick and baggy and frankly, almost unkept. It's as though it became a gateway into sloppy golf style, which I am wholly against.

What say you? Has the evolution of golf hoodies been a bad one?
Its always been bad.

saying "collared shirts only" or "no hoodies" misses the point as i see it, which is the desire for a generally "nice" appearance.

i see plenty of guys wearing worn-out stained polos from 1997 to league night tucked into a pair of frayed cargo shorts that look like crap - but this meets the collared-shirt standard; and also lots of guys with a new blade-collar shirt under a golf hoodie that look spectacular - and this is not okay?

styles change. courses with pro shop staff who use their discretion about appropriate modern golf course attire based on looking good is a better tool than any rule can ever be. if appearance matters for your members but the staff isn't willing to say "no" to anyone who doesn't meet your course's standards, go to your Board or owner about it.

I don't think it is bad. Most I think look good. Personally, my only complaint is the function.. They kinda bug me.
I like the hood for some dome coverage on days where cold but not cold enough for a beanie. They can get annoying in the wind though.

1) I love hoodies and enjoy wearing them on the golf course when needed

2) per your question, I think the evolution was inevitable. To be accepted at first, they had to be streamline as a thinnner layer. Honestly they didn’t do much haha.

I’m not sure if a marketed golf hoodie will approach the thick winter hoodie, but I mean, I’ve seen people wear the latter (including me this winter) in order to stay warm but still have movement and it be restricted like jackets.

I'm more curious about the evolution of the golf hoodie since we saw it pop up on Tour, but you're all welcome to say you love or hate them if you want as well haha
I think it's this phrase "Has the evolution of golf hoodies been a bad one?" in the OP which made me answer whether I liked them or not. I deleted my comment after reading the above.

one thing i'd like to see for golf hoodies is a magnet in the hood matched to one in the back. this would help prevent the hood from whipping to the back shoulder during the swing. watching Rory flick his hood back into place on Monday night was the most relatable thing ever for us golf hoodie wearers.

What other people wear for various activities has zero impact on me. I like hoodies and make no distinction between a golf hoodie or any other hoodie. It's a sweatshirt, tshirt, or other jumper with a hood attached. Some are thick, some are thin, some are bulky, and some are slim. If you like em, wear one. If you don't, okay. Doesn't impact me either way.

I don’t wear hoodies but I don’t hate them. I think the golf branded hoodies are still well kept but I think allowing them opens the gate to any hoodie, of which most look very sloppy
I have no problem with hoodies. I just think golf hoodies are going to continue to evolve from where they started towards the any hoodie is acceptable for golf.

For me, it is difficult to talk about the evolution without addressing whether they are appropriate golf attire, which is what most people are focusing on when they express their like or dislike. Were they ever appropriate on the golf course and has the evolution crossed some subjective line? I have a couple that are made by Footjoy and they are more of a sweater-type material, although thin. I think they look classy and I am a stickler for trying to dress well, wherever I am. However, they probably look a tiny bit bulkier than the very light nylon-type fabric of the first hoodies I saw. I also have some work hoodies that are very heavy cotton material. I would never wear them on a golf course. They don’t fit for me.

Serious question: What makes a hoodie a “golf hoodie”?

I think that to many, wearing a hoodie while golfing makes it a “golf hoodie”. Some brands even market certain hoodies as made by their golf division but they are simple loose hoodies.

I don’t care too much what anyone else wears, but do try and keep myself to a certain standard.

Like any trend in apparel, there is good and then there is bad. A nice clean cut hoodie looks great, but the overly baggy look just isnt a good one.

Back