Houston Area THP group

Walden on lake conroe is a fun course....the par 5 on the lake is tough. Good luck, have fun.

Had the course mostly to myself but played on Thursday. Took a lot of great pics out there!
55729dcdca4250ee5fa435effa16f7c9.jpg
79e833e0306ef9dc689af944fed73b7d.jpg
08ccfd7c38ff7bbc5bf5fbb2e28bf583.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Houston area golfers. I just joined the forum and wanted to check in here. I have been out of the game for too long, more than a decade. Boy things have changed for golf in the west Houston Katy area and not for the better I'm afraid. I learned to play at Green Meadows in Katy before they put in the 2nd eighteen. I played that old course a hundred times and did not realize how much I liked it there until it was gone. I also played at Fox Creek in Monaville which is also closed. The course at Gessner and Clay and River Ridge is out of business. I am just getting back in the game so paying 50 to 80 bucks to hack around is not going to happen. I was thinking to play Sharpstown tomorrow but the wind forecast 15-25 mph is scaring me away.

I have been practicing quite a bit for the past couple months and my game is coming around. My irons are really working right now but the driver is not on board yet. I plan to keep working at the range mostly and play when I can. I have Mondays off in the fall and winter but have to work them in the spring and summer. I used to play super twilight at Cinco Ranch quite a bit, I liked that course but never really scored well there. I would not be able to finish before dark there most times and it would be so dark you could not see the ball anymore. You would have to feel how you hit your drive and go look for it, the good old days.

I hope to get to know you guys and maybe play some golf later on.

Dan

Welcome to THP. The Houston crew has been quiet for a while, but with the weather turning better I’m sure we can get some rounds going.

I’m in Katy and usually playing as a guest where a friend is a member, but I’m 5 minutes from Meadowbrook and about 10 from Cinco Ranch.

I’m off every other Friday and usually play twilight on the weekends due to family commitments.

Hey Mike, I live on Mason rd. a little north of I-10. I have been practicing at the driving range on Barker Cypress which is very close to work. The wind forecast kept me from playing today but I am going to the range later unless the wind is just unbearable. Have you played Heron Lakes on Beltway 8 across from the horse track? I played it once when it first opened, I think it was still under construction. I remember that I did not like the course but with all of the courses being closed I am thinking of trying it again. It is relatively close and the price is right.

Dan

Hey Mike, I live on Mason rd. a little north of I-10. I have been practicing at the driving range on Barker Cypress which is very close to work. The wind forecast kept me from playing today but I am going to the range later unless the wind is just unbearable. Have you played Heron Lakes on Beltway 8 across from the horse track? I played it once when it first opened, I think it was still under construction. I remember that I did not like the course but with all of the courses being closed I am thinking of trying it again. It is relatively close and the price is right.

Dan

We probably live within 4 minutes of each other. I’m on mason south of 10 behind the Mexican place tonys

Sent from HTX

Dan

I haven’t played Heron Lakes is a long time. Last time I was out there I didn’t like it and never went back.

If I’m not playing privately I think you still have plenty of courses closer with good value. Staying in the cypress to Katy areas you have

Cypress Lakes
Blackhorse
Cinco Ranch
Meadowbrook Farms

Hey Gilbert, Yep about 4 minutes or half an hour with traffic on south Mason sometimes. I am right behind the new Kroger on 99. Lived in the same house since 1992, Katy is a little different now days.

Dan

Hey Gilbert, Yep about 4 minutes or half an hour with traffic on south Mason sometimes. I am right behind the new Kroger on 99. Lived in the same house since 1992, Katy is a little different now days.

Dan

Just a tad lol. I just moved here in june

Sent from HTX

I haven’t played Heron Lakes is a long time. Last time I was out there I didn’t like it and never went back.

If I’m not playing privately I think you still have plenty of courses closer with good value. Staying in the cypress to Katy areas you have

Cypress Lakes
Blackhorse
Cinco Ranch
Meadowbrook Farms

Of those four courses you mentioned I have only played Cinco Ranch. I will probably play all of these weekday twilight after work when the days get longer. I don't mind paying full price every now and then especially when I am playing well but I am just getting back in the saddle. I probably have a few bad rounds to play before all aspects of the game come together. The only putting practice I have been doing is on my living room carpet which is super slow, I will probably have to putt a few off the green until I get used to the speed of real greens.

Dan

Of those four courses you mentioned I have only played Cinco Ranch. I will probably play all of these weekday twilight after work when the days get longer. I don't mind paying full price every now and then especially when I am playing well but I am just getting back in the saddle. I probably have a few bad rounds to play before all aspects of the game come together. The only putting practice I have been doing is on my living room carpet which is super slow, I will probably have to putt a few off the green until I get used to the speed of real greens.

Dan

Plenty of sites to get good deals where paying full price isn’t necessary. If the courses were maintained well I would be ok paying full rack price, but not what I’ve seen lately.

Do you walk? I’m looking into a lush cart and wanting to walk more this year.

I used to walk all the time, mostly at Green Meadows but the tee's were right next to the green on every hole. It has been a while but I remember Cinco having a lot of distance between the holes. That would be a tough walk especially in the summer. I really prefer to walk, you get more time to think about the next shot and enjoy the outdoors.

Dan

I am all about that #clublife......don't let wind scare you away, golf is an addiction and the itch needs to be scratched. Heron Lakes is a POS, played it once and never again. Cinco Ranch is alright if you don't mind the 5somes and long rounds. Has been forever and a day since I played Meadowbrook, biggest turn off is their weekend rack rates. Not sure how they ever got a way charging $90+.

Made it out to the range today, the wind was there but not too bad. I worked on the driver quite a bit choked down a couple inches and hit it just fine. Hit the three wood pretty good as well.

Hey guys, I'll be coming into Houston on March 3 and leaving March 9. Not sure how much time I'll have to play with other family stuff on tap, but I'll have my clubs with me. If you want to feel good about your game by playing a round with a guy that hasn't played outdoors in months, let me know.

Hey guys, I'll be coming into Houston on March 3 and leaving March 9. Not sure how much time I'll have to play with other family stuff on tap, but I'll have my clubs with me. If you want to feel good about your game by playing a round with a guy that hasn't played outdoors in months, let me know.

Damn during the week is tough, but if it changes I’ll let you know .

Damn during the week is tough, but if it changes I’ll let you know .

I know, the dates aren't great but it's all I can do. Sunday the 4th might be nice.

I know, the dates aren't great but it's all I can do. Sunday the 4th might be nice.

I thought about sunday, but I'm headed up to DFW to play with Nate & the guys on Friday. If I can make something happen on Sunday, i'll let you know.

Anyone ever play Galveston Country Club? Going there wednesday

Sent from HTX

I have played it a couple times, nice place. It is very marshy and water comes into play especially when the tide comes in. The wind was extreme the last time I played there. Eat at Gaidos on the seawall if you can.

Dan

Anyone ever play Galveston Country Club? Going there wednesday

Sent from HTX

Played it a year or so ago, and yeah it was windy out there when I played, a 3 or 4 club wind at times. Fun track though for sure, it's not a typical houston area layout.

Supposed to be 20-25mph winds. As long as it’s in one consistent direction I’m okay. If it’s swirling I’m toast

Sent from HTX

Played it a year or so ago, and yeah it was windy out there when I played, a 3 or 4 club wind at times. Fun track though for sure, it's not a typical houston area layout.

Congrats on the MC! Let’s get out and get you some match play practice.

What's up Houston peeps? I have been going to the range once or twice a week but not playing. Anything exciting going on?

Dan

What's up Houston peeps? I have been going to the range once or twice a week but not playing. Anything exciting going on?

Dan

Same old for me. Work, kids, activities and golf when I can. Weather is getting better, we need to try to get some guys out and playing.

Last edited:
Dame old for me. Work, kids, activities and golf when I can. Weather is getting better, we need to try to get some guys out and playing.
Man, havent played in about 3yrs. I would like to start playing again.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Back