Hovering the putter

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
I read something a few weeks ago about hovering the putter to reduce tension and this improving your takeaway.

It works! Well... at least for me it seems to.

Do you hover the putter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ground it, and then right before the stroke, lift it slightly.

This is what I do with all of my clubs. IN other threads I have said I hover, but I don't from beginning to end.

Been doing this for years. Started with the putter, then ended up being all clubs.

it's interesting when you watch the pros on tv many of them seem to do this. i've tried it but not been able to make it work.

i must hover....never thought about it or payed attention but I never ground the putter.

I read something a few weeks ago about hovering the putter to reduce tension and this improving your takeaway.

Do you hover the putter?

Nope, it just introduces another variable, which I am trying to avoid.

For tension issues I teach my kids to take their thumbs off the putter until just before they begin the stroke. Its an excellent trigger, plus, its great to actually practice with NO thumbs on the putter to remove all tension in the grip/stroke and ingrain what they feels like.

I'm not sure how having to support the weight of the putter with your arms as opposed to resting it on the ground would reduce tension.

I've never thought about it but I'll try it on the practice green this evening.

I kind of do. I usually set up behind the ball, lightly bounce the putter to try and remove tension from hands arms then have the putter slightly off the ground when I putt.

I have found that hovering the putter increases tension and causes people to be more handsy. Less tension can be found if the putter is resting.

Do you hover the putter?

I started doing this as of late and it is working for me.

I have found that hovering the putter increases tension and causes people to be more handsy. Less tension can be found if the putter is resting.

Since I got my new cleveland tfi putter, I've done that (resting), but my trigger was a slight forward press, and with this putter it seems to get stuck on the grass. So I haven't been doing the forward press. What would you recommend to improve on that, or disregard the forward press entirely?

Since I got my new cleveland tfi putter, I've done that, but my trigger was a slight forward press, and with this putter it seems to get stuck on the grass. So I haven't been doing the forward press. What would you recommend to improve on that, or disregard the forward press entirely?

WHy would you forward press the TFI. The sight line is designed to remain square. Forward press changes face angle and loft. Enough pressure to keep the face square at address, and the arms move back and through.

I do the Matsuyama. I bounce the putter lightly but before I make the stroke I am not hovering but gently grounding.

Since I got my new cleveland tfi putter, I've done that (resting), but my trigger was a slight forward press, and with this putter it seems to get stuck on the grass. So I haven't been doing the forward press. What would you recommend to improve on that, or disregard the forward press entirely?

jordan has talked about certain grasses or course conditions causing his putter to stick and then throw off his putting. i can't say i've ever experienced it personally.

I often hover putts, but it's important to have some kind of waggle. I think i waggle on longer putts and do little micro bounces on short ones, or some kind of combination of bounce and waggle. You don't want to freeze over the ball. Freezing will certainly introduce tension.

WHy would you forward press the TFI. The sight line is designed to remain square. Forward press changes face angle and loft. Enough pressure to keep the face square at address, and the arms move back and through.

Thanks, I will proceed as I have been. No forward press, perfect.

I don't hover, but I do tap it 2-3 times on the green just before I stroke it.

I often hover putts, but it's important to have some kind of waggle. I think i waggle on longer putts and do little micro bounces on short ones, or some kind of combination of bounce and waggle. You don't want to freeze over the ball. Freezing will certainly introduce tension.

I have never frozen over a putt or known anything me who has. I can understand a waggle with clubs but the putter, not so much. The micro bounce makes sense but a waggle doesn't compute with me.

I have never frozen over a putt or known anything me who has. I can understand a waggle with clubs but the putter, not so much. The micro bounce makes sense but a waggle doesn't compute with me.

Waggle it maybe an inch or so, not a foot or two.

I usually ground it to get my line where I want it then setup over the ball then once set lift the putter and stroke it although at times I do find myself taking it back and forth once or twice if something doesnt quite feel right until I stroke it. I am also really bad so maybe thats not the best way.

Waggle? No. That just means you are taking too much time over the ball if you are taking time to waggle. You need to fall in love with the line, and then my last thought is about speed, and then I close off all thought. Meanwhile, my feet may pitter, patter, the putter may bounce a little during the few moments over the ball - but by the time you've addressed the ball, the line is figured, you are just setting up for address and the line is already picked - speed is all that remains. Micro bounce, pick up slightly and go.

This is what I do, too ... ground it long enough to get my line right (and relax a bit), then lift and stroke.

Waggle it maybe an inch or so, not a foot or two.

I figured as much I still don't understand the need. It's more than likely a wristy movement which doesn't mimic the actual stroke.

jordan has talked about certain grasses or course conditions causing his putter to stick and then throw off his putting. i can't say i've ever experienced it personally.

This is why I started. Not so much on the backswing, but I would tend to catch the ground coming back through before I got to the ball.

Danielle Kang is known for raising her putter right before beginning her backswing on the ladies tour. Never really paid attention to what Spieth did.

Back