How did you Land on Your Current Putter?

New golf location opened up near me and they had the Edel fitting equipment. Decided to do it & was wonderful.

I was playing a Scotty 6M dual balanced that I really was putting well on. I took advantage of Club Champion's full back fitting and we hit the putter at some point in the fitting. While I had been waiting earlier in the day, I had casually been hitting putters and ran across the Toulon Portland. Loved the way it felt off the face and I made the first 4 putts from 10 feet with the thing. I was in awe. When the time came to fit my current putter, oddly enough, I was pretty much right on with the choice of the Scotty mallet. The fitting told me what I had felt was right: I am Straight back/straight thru stroke and a face balanced putter was the right way to go. On top of that, they recommended a non-blade shape, all of which fit my scotty. A quick adjustment later, I was done.

But I couldn't get the feel of the Portland out of my head. I had a follow up to get my irons back after some adjustments/shaft changes, and while I waited, I gravitated to the putting center and started hitting balls. That's when I found the Las Vegas sitting in the corner. I hadn't noticed it before, but shape caught my eye. It also hit all my criteria: mallet, face balanced, large grip, great feel. I gave it a try and I was done. Within a minute I new I wanted one.

So shortly thereafter, started scanning CallawayPreowned and bam! Putter sale. And the rest was history.

When we went to visit my wife's family last year, my nephew beat mine to hell when none of us were watching him, so I needed one to play the next day. Of the choices at the nearest store, the o-works #2 was the only one I could stand to look at. Turned out #2's are kinda my jam.

Had a chat with @Canadan about people putting off handed (hit their clubs righty but putt lefty and vise versa). Had a pretty terrible day putting one day and thought about that exact conversation. I'm a lefty in golf but am actually right hand dominant. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try putting right handed and have three rounds in the bank. In those three rounds of 18 (small sample size I know) I haven't looked back. Absolutely everything has improved. Another reason this place has changed my game :) I actually got a Toulon Chicago and couldn't be more excited while I'm using it

Last edited:
Were you fit for your flat stick? Did you buy it in a shop based on how it looked? You get where I'm going with this.
I asked you to fix one up and send it to me.

I bought the newest and best putter out there; the year was 1998 and the brand was called Odyssey ;)

Having a chat with @Canadan about people putting off handed (hit their clubs righty but putt lefty and vise versa). Had a pretty terrible day putting one day and thought thought about that exact conversation. I'm a lefty in golf but am actually right hand dominant. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try putting right handed and have three rounds in the bank. In those three rounds of 18 (small sample size I know) I haven't looked back. Absolutely everything has improved. Another reason this place has changed my game :) I actually got a Toulon Chicago and couldn't be more excited while I'm using it
I love it!!!

I've had and have quite a few. I like a certain look and feel to my putters and if I find some that give me both then they usually stick around. I've never had problems jumping from putter to putter each and every round. I actually quite enjoy changing things up. I guess you can say I've self fit myself because I've tried just about every type of neck and body style there is. I know what works and what doesn't so anymore it's really only informed choices I'm making. Currently though I like getting away from "stock" configurations. I'm looking to maybe get a couple of putter heads refinished but just need to find the right place to do it.

First, I know I like blades, I had already been through 2 Odyssey #1s. But I was looking for something milled, no insert. Saw all the rave reviews for the Cleveland Huntington Beach series and bought one on a whim in my usual specs. Been in the bag ever since, end of 2017 i think, except for a few months when I gamed the Spider Tour.

I played an Atlanta and saw a EBAY add for a tour issue Atlanta garage with stroke lab for a good price, after some chatting back and forth I met him and once I saw the cool color of it (which I have not seen since and is not in the garage as an option) and he got the price even better I bought it. It still misses putts or more accurately I still miss putts but it has not been beat out yet by a new betti or a new scotty.

He would not tell me who the putter was made for (to protect his caddie) but alluded that it was made for a guy that lives in Ponte Vedra and plays Sawgrass as his home course, but I really don't care it is just a real nice putter for the price.

I found a putter I liked. Was hitting it very well at the store. Went back the next day with my then current putter and did a side by side putting comparison, and the new one came out on top, so I purchased it.

I started with a Ping PAL and played it about 20 years. Then an Odyssey White Hot Rossie for a number of years. Then I wanted to go back to an Anser style blade and got a used Scottie Studio Select Newport 2 that has worked for a year. But recently I wanted to try something different to convince me the NP2 was what I should stay with and got an O-works Red 7S and am giving it a trial now and am really impressed with it. Never had a fitting, at least not yet...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I use to practice putting 4 days a week about 45 minutes. Then started get a lower back ache after bending for a while,one day walked into golf shop and seen a long puttter, i walked over to the pratice matt and proceeded to drain 8-8ft putts in a row.
I even got down on the floor to see if the pratice area was rigged.
$45 later i took her home.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was in the Nashville area for a conference 6 or 7 years ago and with all the SeeMore talk on THP had to head to their office to check it out. Went in with an open mind and went through their fitting process. Walked in thinking I was a mallet type guy, but walked out with a FGP and still love it to this day. Even not even holding a club in my hand for 2 years, went to the course the other day and it still stays on the line I start and speed control still exactly what I like about it. Now if only I could read a green.

Edit: also have the same putter with my exact specs signed by Zach Johnson at the house too. Thanks THP!!!

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

I was fit by some of the folks who designed it.

As much as I like to tinker, I always go back to this when I struggle and remind myself it's the stroke, not the putter.

I went to the golf shop to buy a new wedge. Started rolling putters on the putting green. Made putt after putt after putt. First one of the floor guys came over when he must have heard the ball dropping into the cup. Then another guy and another. I lost count of how many I made, but when I finally looked up there's 3 or 4 guys standing there watching. One guy says "you might want to consider buying that club". I chuckled to myself and told him to go get the head cover.

THP Event - a customize MySpiderX. A subsequent Club Champion visit confirmed it was a good fit.

I bought a lot of clubs and tried a bunch out.. I liked this one.

A fitting at Ping HQ a few years back during the THP championship revealed I would be best off with a PN type tie hang. Which was awesome because of the millions of cool choices that gave me. I ultimately picked this one because of the deep milling and pure beauty!
60843469-B41E-4E6D-8047-6F34C5BA5E02.jpeg

I have wanted a Scotty shortly after I started playing. Scoured ebay for probably about 3 months or more until one became available and locked on to it.

Gamed a old Yes putter for years (blade). Wanted to try a face balanced putter (mallet) and saw the Cleveland Huntington Beach soft series and haven't looked back.

Tested dozens of different putters of all prices at golf shops and box stores. Even though it was a cheaper off-brand, the one I went with just performed better. I would have gladly paid many times more than what I ended up spending.

I was the exception that proves the rule. I won my current putter at a tournament eight years ago. I absolutely love it! I took it to a fitting at Club Champion three years ago and it showed I was perfectly fit for this putter. (Obviously, it wasn't the other way around.) What are the odds?

Back