How do you gauge a “3/4” shot?

I try to feel it, but generally don't do great at it. Always something I try to work on though.

It’s mostly feel for me, I work with partial wedge shots a lot during the winter and range sessions/warm up before rounds. If I have one focus, it is being aware of waist height on the backswing, either staying short of it or just going past it.

Cool. But how was the question
Your question is how to make a 3/4 swing?
The answer is make a 3/4 swing. In other word's whatever is what one considers to be their "full turn" or "big swing" or "full swing", simply make a 3/4 version of same.
Old time instructors would often have a student strike 5 or 6 balls with their usual swing and then ask the student to make 3/4 swings. Typically what the student perceives to be a 3/4 swing is actually a legitimate full golf swing, contact improves, compression happens, and it's all good. The old time instructor tells the student "that's the swing to use when playing golf".

Your question is how to make a 3/4 swing?
The answer is make a 3/4 swing. In other word's whatever is what one considers to be their "full turn" or "big swing" or "full swing", simply make a 3/4 version of same.
Old time instructors would often have a student strike 5 or 6 balls with their usual swing and then ask the student to make 3/4 swings. Typically what the student perceives to be a 3/4 swing is actually a legitimate full golf swing, contact improves, compression happens, and it's all good. The old time instructor tells the student "that's the swing to use when playing golf".
So is a 3/4 swing a 1/2 swing then?

It’s feel but also thinking about back swing length. 3/4 would be what feels like 9 o’clock put is probably closer to 10 with follow thru to 2. Need to spend time as I work on game dialing in this part of the game.

For me, it's

1/4 swing - knee to knee
1/2 swing - hip to hip
3/4 swing - armpit to armpit.

I have wedge matrix stock yardages for those, and I try not to stray too far off of them. "On the green" is fine by me. Pin hunting would take a lot more practice hours to build touch than I spend.

I pretty much do this as well and it mostly works!
I don't have 100% consistent tempo and speed so the distance dispersion isn't amazing despite following the mechanic above.

I suggest you make a full swing, then a 3/4 swing, and finally a half swing. The one in the middle is the 3/4 swing.

I’m going to have to try this on the range next time.

For me, I exaggerate a slower backswing and stop just past halfway and accelerate on the downswing. Probably not conventional, but it keeps me in control.

3/4 my left arm is parallel and the shaft is just short of vertical. 1/2 I feel like left arm is 45* to the ground and the shaft is parallel
This is me. Adjust as needed with feel for the inbetweens

A mental picture first.

Using about 2/3 of my normal backswing and add in little finesse. I try to avoid being mechanical about it.

I may or may not choke down depending on the type of shot.

I practice those shots a lot, especially with my wedges: 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Do it enough times and you develop a feel for each one.

All feel. I hit a ton of them on the range to warm up before rounds

3/4 shot is backswing to 9 o clock. Works a treat and becomes very reliable distance wise with a little practice. All my wedges (50 and above) are 3/4 shots or less.

Trapping something less than full, by feel, is basically commitment to the intuition, and 2 practice swings, if needed, to set the trap.

Mine is by feel, I need to remember though that just because it's not a full shot doesn't mean I can get sloppy and drop my shoulders. When I do that I chunk it bad.

I do it with the width of my stance. I want the length/speed of my swing to remain close to the same. Inevitably, if I try to "9 o'clock" a swing, I will decel.

I am probably more mechanical than feel.
One of the keys for me was learning feel from mechanics rather than mechanics from feel.

I have a mechanical process. Yours might vary.

I am very flexible, even at age 66. So, with wedges, my 3/4 shot is actually 3/4 of the way to the top where full is hands directly above and behind my head. So, using the clock method (I am lefthanded) a 3/4 is about 10:30. A lot of other players would consider that their full swing.

What is most important is to figure out where your 3/4 point is and then turn to that point consistently. This is a case where "feel is not real". Use a mirror or have a buddy watch you until you can hit that point consistently. Then get a population of shots with that swing to determine how far your 3/4 swing carries with each club.

Repeat for 1/2 swing.

Repeat for a knockdown (abbreviated finish).

I try not to kill it. Normally I flush it and hit it 10yards longer then my kill it swing.

oh, so I think 1/2 swing

Wedges it's a clock face.
Longer clubs are all full swing with tempo changes, I use various timing mantras I use in martial arts which serve the same purpose at the course or the dojo. They slow me down yet still assure acceleration through the hit.

This reminds me of my main golf buddy's habit of giving me the exact yardage on less than full wedges. He does love his Garmin watch! I once told him, "Dude, I am nowhere near that precise", after he gave me a reading of 47 yards! I actually do better just looking at it and trying to get a feel for the shot.

Back