how do you keep a couple of water bottles ice cold?

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had it with sticking a water bottle in the water bottle pocket of my golf bag ... and by the fourth hole it's lukewarm. Yes, you can fill up at the water stations (if they are cold), and yes, you can buy a cold water from the cart girl (but I play a lot of midweek rounds with no cart girl service). I need ice cold water at the ready!

Most courses don't want you bringing the traditional square igloo with a couple of waters iced down. So what to do?

I have seen some coolers that fit in the big side pocket of your bag. Then you get stealth and cold. But I really don't want to do the blue blocks you freeze - I want ICE COLD WATER and that comes from a water bottle sitting in ice. Ideas on how to pull it off without (1) getting busted or (2) water draining all down my bag?

mdr

I would think you need to bring an ice chest to really keep it super cold

I actually prefer lukewarm water on super hot days

Buy a good water bottle (vacuum insulated). I have a hydroflask that works wonders. Throw a few ice cubes in and you're good to go for hours.

I have been kicking this idea around for the last season and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be investing in this very soon. I'm buying a hydro pack bladder, with the hose that comes out and I'm putting that in my side pocket with some ice in it. You can get those bladders at outdoor equipment stores and bicycle shops. Fill it up, put it in your bag, run the hose out, and drink away when needed.

i have seen water bottles that have basically ice cube/the blue freezer packs built into them, pop them in the freezer and fill when needed. Could be an option too.

Take a highly absorbent sock...wool works, so does all cotton, and soak it in ice water. Then put your water bottle inside the sock. Then the kicker, put the whole thing somewhere where it gets as much wind as possible. On your golf bag in the back of the cart, or dangling from your bag. Provided the water in your water bottle started out very cold, the evaporation of the water in the sock will help mitigate warming of the water bottle.

Things you learn in Iraq.

Take a highly absorbent sock...wool works, so does all cotton, and soak it in ice water. Then put your water bottle inside the sock. Then the kicker, put the whole thing somewhere where it gets as much wind as possible. On your golf bag in the back of the cart, or dangling from your bag. Provided the water in your water bottle started out very cold, the evaporation of the water in the sock will help mitigate warming of the water bottle.

good tip

I usally put the the bottle in the freezer for 1-2 hours before I leave for the round. That being said, rememberig the water is there is key ans not when you already at the course. Then when you return you find your water bottle cracked. Ah good times.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

if riding, many clubs will either provide a cooler for the cart automatically or on request. They generally want you to use them for keeping a few extra beers cold that you buy from them, things like that... but generally water is considered okay to bring with you. They give it away free in water stations (well, some courses do) so they relax their requirement on buying from them. If walking, a soft-sided cooler that hangs from your cart can work well. I personally don't like to carry the extra weight, so I bring one ice cold liter bottle full of water and refill it at each station. I always have cold water that way. If they don't have stations or they aren't cold, then you may be SOL :confused2:

I can't take the credit for this as somebody posted it in the 'Future THP Items' suggestion thread (I can't remember who it was)

The idea was to half fill a water bottle and lie it on its side in the freezer until it is frozen, then fill the rest of the bottle with cold water and it will stay colder for longer

In hot circumstances I put a couple of water bottles in the freezer, I let them freeze totally.

I like the half frozen idea. Would have never thought of that. Im spoiled I guess as my golf bag has a cooler pocket. I freeze one bottle, and the other two I just put in with ice. I walk with a rovik so the extra weight doesnt bother me. Ice cold every time

I put ice in the cooler pocket of my sun mountain bag and with my water bottle I've had no problems keeping it ice cold. It works really well

I freeze mine the night before. Ice cold water on a hot day!

I would think you need to bring an ice chest to really keep it super cold

I actually prefer lukewarm water on super hot days
Most golf courses don't allow you to be so brazen as to bring your own cooler. They can't do anything if you keep it in your bag, but if they see a cooler, most will have you take it back to your car.

In hot circumstances I put a couple of water bottles in the freezer, I let them freeze totally.

I throw a couple bottles in the freezer the night before. Works great.

I freeze mine the night before. Ice cold water on a hot day!

This works great. When it is really hot they will melt anyway, so there is no real need to do the half frozen half water thing, as long as you hydrate ahead of time.

I have an old Datrek bag in my garage that had a cooler built into it, including drainage holes.

Most golf courses don't allow you to be so brazen as to bring your own cooler. They can't do anything if you keep it in your bag, but if they see a cooler, most will have you take it back to your car.

Really?

I've done it quite a few times and there have never been any issues.

It would be different if there was booze in it but even then no one has asked to look in the bag.

Buy a good water bottle (vacuum insulated). I have a hydroflask that works wonders. Throw a few ice cubes in and you're good to go for hours.

Agreed, the Hydroflasks do work very well. I got one last year and put it to good use, even on the hottest days the liquid stayed cold for hours.

"The idea was to half fill a water bottle and lie it on its side in the freezer until it is frozen, then fill the rest of the bottle with cold water and it will stay colder for longer"

Been doing this for years with plastic 1 quart pop bottles. Fill half to 3/4 full, then place in freezer (with loose cap) at an angle that ensures the water does not cover the opening. when ready to go, just fill with cold water the rest of way. I also place the bottle in an old thick sock, and place a rubber band around the neck.

On moderate temp days I use a "GatorAde" bottle in a sock, and do not freeze. The larger opening of the bottle allows me to fill the bottle with the slender ice cubes that my (and most) freezer(s) makes, and then I fill with cold water.

I can't take the credit for this as somebody posted it in the 'Future THP Items' suggestion thread (I can't remember who it was)

The idea was to half fill a water bottle and lie it on its side in the freezer until it is frozen, then fill the rest of the bottle with cold water and it will stay colder for longer

Solid tips here, guys. Might have to try this out. #Science

Agreed, the Hydroflasks do work very well. I got one last year and put it to good use, even on the hottest days the liquid stayed cold for hours.
Yup it's pretty amazing how good they work, worth every penny. There's a huge difference from a standard water bottle to the vacuum insulated ones.

Is there a certain kind of hydroflask for this or just any model they sell? Best place to buy one on the cheap?

Back