How do you mentally prepare?

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you mentally prepare for a round? I have always felt that it is necessary to have a very clear mind when getting ready to play. If you aren't ready to play mentally, then you can't focus on what you need to be doing.
I like to listen to certain music when on the way to the course, I also make sure I don't have anything on my mind that is causing negative thoughts or frustration.

So how do you prepare for your round.

I golf, therefore I am! ? No preparations just let my mind automatically go to golf mode.

I try to relax and have a game plan. Preparing for a competition next time I will lower my expectations and focus on being loose and taking things as they come. I put a ton of pressure on myself and that leads me to be tight and anxious.

the best thing for me is to have time. i like 45 mins to an hour. 20 mins for full swing, 20 mins for short game, and 10-20 mins for putting. take my time, no rush. i’ve had good rounds that are rushed, and bad rounds when i’ve had time. but i seem to have some success more often when i’ve been able to ease into it.

Put ball
I golf, therefore I am! ? No preparations just let my mind automatically go to golf mode.

I find myself to be similar. When I’m ready to tee off, I just say one phrase to myself: “it’s showtime”. Once I say that I’m mentally ready.

This is an interesting one and something, to be honest, that I've never given (literally) ANY thought to. I've never tried to position myself into any particular mental state to go out and play golf. As far as frustrations, often times, I golf to try and escape frustrations (be it an issue at home, or work, etc.) usually having those things at the front of my mind when I actually leave to go to the golf course. I'm typically, somewhat, oblivious to those things by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th hole (by that time I'm fully engrossed in the round). I would say that that might be a reason for some of my slow starts but, honestly, I'm rarely THAT frustrated. The opening four hole just happen to kick my ass (regardless of mindset).

However, you have sparked in interesting internal dialogue, here. Should I "mentally prepare" for a round of golf? Would I actually see gains in improvement? I mean logically speaking I would almost HAVE to, wouldn't I? And if I were to set a mental stage in preparation to play, exactly how would I do it? I'm interested to hear other's thoughts on this one.

Great thread idea, Snickerdog.

Just know I'm out there to have fun. That's it. I don't take the game too serious.

Really good question. Today I headed out to play straight from work. No practice. Didn’t plan to play. I wasn’t mentally prepared, and it showed. I could not focus and had that tense rushed feeling in the body. I played into a better mindset after 3-4 holes.

I wish I had a better answer, like I do A or B. Truth is I don’t but should have a few mental routines to help set the intention and focus. I look forward to hearing what the collective does.

For tournaments I used to walk through the course and my round the night before when I'm laying in bed. That started backfiring and when my game plan wasn't working I would get frustrated. These days I just get to the course early enough to get stretched out, roll some putts and get going without thinking about it.

For tournaments I used to walk through the course and my round the night before when I'm laying in bed. That started backfiring and when my game plan wasn't working I would get frustrated. These days I just get to the course early enough to get stretched out, roll some putts and get going without thinking about it.
That approach would NEVER work for me (it, obviously didn't work for you, either). The minute something went sideways, I'd be mentally chasing how to make u the difference for the mistake.bad hole which would, ultimately, lead to a snowballing disaster.

Now that I think about it, when I go to the course with any expectations, it usually ends in disaster (in fact it's the reason I don't add my score until the end). My best scores have always come when I ignore the score (in totality) and just play. Obviously I can tell when a round is going better than usual but checking my total (mid-round) is a guaranteed disaster for me.

Don’t overthink it, it’s just golf. I don’t mean that in a condescending way, but if I start thinking then I can’t stop. I trust my abilities to be what they will be based on the preparation I’ve put in and let the results be what they will be.

While on the course I’m even keeled and don’t get too high or low. Listen to some good music and enjoy the round with whoever I’m playing with.

That approach would NEVER work for me (it, obviously didn't work for you, either). The minute something went sideways, I'd be mentally chasing how to make u the difference for the mistake.bad hole which would, ultimately, lead to a snowballing disaster.

Now that I think about it, when I go to the course with any expectations, it usually ends in disaster (in fact it's the reason I don't add my score until the end). My best scores have always come when I ignore the score (in totality) and just play. Obviously I can tell when a round is going better than usual but checking my total (mid-round) is a guaranteed disaster for me.

Exactly. If I set expectations and I get off track it can get ugly.

I think about the THP Events I've played and for the most part I would say I've played pretty well. I think part of it is because I go in with a blank slate and have no idea what's ahead of me (as far as what the course is like) and just go shot by shot. Focus on hitting it straight, hit the green and take it from there.

Show up ready to have fun, and adapt based on the swing that shows up that day. In terms of prep, I find I have a better round if I hit a few chips, pitches, and putts than if I head to the driving range.

I try to take in my surroundings, breath, and smile.

In terms of feeling physically ready to go, I just stretch out my body, hit a few chips, and roll some putts to judge speed. That is enough for me to feel ready. It's really about letting bad shots go by remembering I'm out there to have fun.

Just know I'm out there to have fun. That's it. I don't take the game too serious.
I do believe this is a main point/key to golf for sure. But at the same time, if you are playing some sort of competition I think there is more to it IMO. I will be the first to admit that at times I do get to serious and it effects my game negatively.

Range with a small bucket to warm up and make some good contact. Then a 10 minute chipping followed by a bit of putting.

I usually get amped up anticipating the start of a round of golf. I hit the range and hit a few wedges, a few 7 irons and my driver. I try to calm down. Then make a few putts on the practice green. I see what everything is doing and go to the 1st tee and begin to calm down some more, deep breaths, relax, free swing the club in my hands and feel the swing tempo. Then when it's my turn, tune everything out and focus on the shot at hand.... and then play one shot at a time, the best I can. The good, the bad and the ugly. Don't get riled up and also don't fist pump. Even keeled and try to smile.

Little range warmup. Bag set up the way it should be. Couple balls marked up and ready, two tees and a ball marker in my pocket.
Once everything is in place, I'm relaxed and mentally ready.

I would like to hear from some of the low and + HC's on this question. @Canadan @OldandStiff
I really need to put some though into this.

Simplifying my mentality has been a big part of how I put up scores without really looking like I'm trying or care about the round. For me it's just been about that 15 second period between pull-club and take-swing where I elevate my expectations to focus and prep.

There are a lot of people who are super mechanical and particular about what they do, but it's just not for me. If I still cared about the game like that, I'd be trying to play in local am stuff and no.. Just absolutely no. Not to mention it's mentally draining, and the last thing I need to do after golf is be mentally drained.

So I'm apparently gonna need a minute to think about this. It's a tough question, and my wife just asked me why I was sitting here staring at the screen. lol Told her why (pondering exactly how I mentally prepare for a golf game I want to score well in), and her response was "Not bring your wife." Which coincidentally is exactly what I was going to say as a snap, sarcastic reaction to the question.

edit: coming..

My short answer is turn my work phone off, and avoid messages from family. They tend to require a lot.

Long answer is that my mind clears pretty quickly when it comes to golf, because I'm really grateful to be out there. I almost, definitely could have, really probably should have died a couple times last year, and I think the resulting appreciation and perspective has kind of been my personal cheat code to better golf, and a lot of other things. I said in another post that my body might be a lot stiffer than when I was a young athlete, but my attitude is much more flexible. No expectations, no real pressure, just love for golf and gratitude.

I'm still competitive though, lol, so I definitely plan ahead. People that don't know me would never guess by my really laid back attitude during the round that I've already scouted the course if I've never played it. I have plan A's, B's, and C's depending on what's working and what isn't. That while we're bullshitting and laughing I'm also calculating which holes I should press to win based on what you're doing well or aren't. I rehearse the first couple holes on the range before I start so those shots are fresh in mental and physical memory. I think about it before I go to sleep (and during) but a little differently than KEV mentioned. I know I've done my prep by that point so I focus on one shot I know I have that could play perfectly there tomorrow. I envision it, over and over. Hitting it perfectly. Basking in the feeling. And I wake up just itching to make it happen. Seems to start me off on the right foot. When I was a pitcher I was really big on visualization, so I could be calm in the moment, and find that feeling when I need to.

Last edited:
So I'm apparently gonna need a minute to think about this. It's a tough question, and my wife just asked me why I was sitting here staring at the screen. lol Told her why (pondering exactly how I mentally prepare for a golf game I want to score well in), and her response was "Not bring your wife." Which coincidentally is exactly what I was going to say as a snap, sarcastic reaction to the question.

edit: coming..
She understands you well I think :ROFLMAO:

i don’t think too much. I visualize. Visualizing shots on where I want them to go and land will subconsciously produce the swing I need to make to execute those shots. Overthinking or trying to do too much can make bad shots happen.

Having some confidence helps too. I try to bank that up on great shots to build it and keep it going. Bad shots happen but the next hole is a clean slate

I don’t stress or spend too much time on the range before a round. I don’t focus on targets to hit. I just hit to warm up and get lose. You try to hard and it’s not going your way, it’ll translate onto the course.

there’s a lot more to it but those are the primary preparations for my game.

I definitely try to not put any pressure on myself. I am the type to get out of the car, load up my Clicgear and head to #1. Stretch for a couple of minutes and off I go without a lot of expectations. Expectations tend to make me feel a little pressured to live up to them and that often leads to failure. Clear head and just take it one shot at a time and don't dwell on bad swings or missed opportunites. What's done and done and the only thing you can control at that point is your next shot.

Back