How do you use your wedges?

evf going straight up morpheus. i like it!

excellent thoughts dude. i know when i tried to simplify the bottom end of my bag, i was left with a ton of indecision and inability to manage my gaps. so i added more wedges for tighter gapping, and have appreciated it. granted it's a failed company so take that for what it's worth, but that's the philosophy ben hogan golf was going for with their loft numbers instead of iron numbers and that philosophy about gapping carried down through the bottom of the bag too. lots of ways to skin the cat, and i still come back to the fact that better players like you, freddie and spittle miller all say the same thing, so that carries a lot of weight.
I'm definitely a believer that if it isn't broke, don't fix it, so keep it up!

That said, I got to a point where I realized that I had hit the ceiling of my potential using a similar approach, and to raise it again, I had to expand and explore new realms of the golf lexicon.

If you feel you get to that point at all yourself, think about Miller and this thread.

I like to look at the golfbag as a few speed wrenches as opposed to a multi piece wrench set. Each wrench in the set is only good for one size bolt, but a few different size speed wrenches can handle any bolt you throw at it. Utility is king!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I spent all of 2016 playing half and 3/4 wedges. Inside 80 I was playing partial 54*. 110-80 partial 50*. 135-110 partial pw.

In 2017 I changed to PW, 48, 52 and 56 wedges. Still playing 3/4 shots but added the 48 to close that gap in had in 2016. My hdcp moved 2 points both ways while doing this in 2016.

At you going based on feel for what is 1/2, 3/4, etc or are you using something like a clock system?

Of note during my last lesson my pro handed me an 8i and said swing like you were going to hit this 100 yards. We then used that feeling to get my takeaway and backswing in a spot where I wasn't coming across the line and with partial wedges pretty much every shot was straight or with the baby fade we've been working towards.

I carry 4 wedges…. PW, 50, 54 and 58

I'll hit full shots with the PW and 50. I don't like full shots with the 54 and 58. When needed, I'll hit knockdown shots with all 4 wedges. I hit most pitches with the 58, but sometimes the 54. As far as chipping, I use the 50 when the pin is long distance away, the 54 when the pin in mid distance away and the 58 when the pin is close distance and for flop shots. Out of the sand is the 58 unless it's a longer bunker shot, where I'll use the 54.

PW/50/54/58

Full swings on PW-54 partial on 54-58 pitch shots and bump and run with 50 - chip pitch with 54/58 58 and 54 are my sand clubs, hit flop shots with 58

I'll be getting a 55/60 setup soon so we'll see how that works out.

I get both sides of the argument here,

To be dead honest I don't see how there was any argument created nor was any intended. Im not against partial shots (who would be?) and most avid players take them all the time. I mean they even eventually imo become part of a given norm as we continue to play. I think they are of a natural progression to golf ability as the rounds pile up. Whether its recovery shots of different sorts and/or different sorts of chips and pitching and even different flighted longer irons we need them and will be forced to have more of them in our bag if we want to progress. At one point in the conversation Freeddie had a post where as it sounded (could be taken) as though he was almost implying that one shouldn't barely ever use a full shot. And that's the part (if was what he meant) that I was curious as to what he exactly meant and thought to question. But my post must have been taken out of context and hit a nerve.

The only debate (if there is any and if we can even call it one) is that may newer players do have enough struggles just keeping a decent swing and they become somewhat hesitant to want to vary from that swing especially doing it intentionally via partial shots. Imo its almost a constant debate and extremely common one for newer and less avid players to say ...."I need to hit full shots and just cant hit partial ones" ....and I understand why that is. I was exactly that very same way many years ago at first. Not too many such players force themselves to learn even some more basic manageable partial swings. Its a lot imo like how it takes too many people years to finally learn how to manage smarter shot choices but not before stubbornly killing themselves for the longest time before that doing otherwise. Just get too caught up in the difficult process of htting the ball instead of realizing they need to make shots instead of just hit the ball. Eventually most do realize things. You just hope they do so sooner than later.

I totally get what you are saying. Infact, this is what I want to be able to do. But you have understand that for weekend warriors, figuring out if my half-swing is actually a half-swing or not is a lot harder than just have distances dialed down with the full-swing and have clubs for different distances with those full swings. To me the full-swing is a lot more consistently repeatable than a half or three-quarter swing.

It's not as hard as you think. It can be done in a couple range sessions if you're willing to spend the time and balls. I have three wedges above the set pitching wedge. For those wedges I've got three distances: one with a backswing to shaft parallel to ground, one with right forearm parallel to ground, and full. That's nine different shots you'll have at your disposal. Not necessarily 9 different distances mind you - some of my distances are close enough that they effectively overlap, (say 50* shaft parallel ~ 58* right forearm parallel), but I'll have one to use if I have an open path with a lot of green and one to use if I have to fly trouble or get short sided. When I do his I try to accelerate on each shot as if it's a full swing, but the varying lengths of the backswings limit how much room the club head has to accelerate before it strikes the ball.

To be dead honest I don't see how there was any argument created nor was any intended. Im not against partial shots (who would be?) and most avid players take them all the time. I mean they even eventually imo become part of a given norm as we continue to play. I think they are of a natural progression to golf ability as the rounds pile up. Whether its recovery shots of different sorts and/or different sorts of chips and pitching and even different flighted longer irons we need them and will be forced to have more of them in our bag if we want to progress. At one point in the conversation Freeddie had a post where as it sounded (could be taken) as though he was almost implying that one shouldn't barely ever use a full shot. And that's the part (if was what he meant) that I was curious as to what he exactly meant and thought to question. But my post must have been taken out of context and hit a nerve.

The only debate (if there is any and if we can even call it one) is that may newer players do have enough struggles just keeping a decent swing and they become somewhat hesitant to want to vary from that swing especially doing it intentionally via partial shots. Imo its almost a constant debate and extremely common one for newer and less avid players to say ...."I need to hit full shots and just cant hit partial ones" ....and I understand why that is. I was exactly that very same way many years ago at first. Not too many such players force themselves to learn even some more basic manageable partial swings. Its a lot imo like how it takes too many people years to finally learn how to manage smarter shot choices but not before stubbornly killing themselves for the longest time before that doing otherwise. Just get too caught up in the difficult process of htting the ball instead of realizing they need to make shots instead of just hit the ball. Eventually most do realize things. You just hope they do so sooner than later.

I didn't mean the word "argument" in a negative way. It's just a synonym for "discussion" or "conversation" or whatever. There was no nerve struck with me so rest easy

I would agree with the implication that Freddie said that one should probably never use a full swing (at least until we reach hybrids/woods). In theory, the full swing should be the toughest to execute because the club head travels the farthest so a shorter swing should increase the quality of contact and therefore the consistency of shot distance.

As far as newer or less experienced players, the biggest challenge isn't learning something new but unlearning something we already think we know. We most often come into the game watching pros or golfing friends take these big full swings, and we are immediately conditioned to think that is the way to swing a golf club.

My belief, and what I suggest for those who ask, is that starting with a short swing and working on consistency of contact is more important than doing it the other way around, which is how pretty much all of us learned. That's how I learned and it took me 20 some years to unlearn it.

The old pros were so good at moving their ball around the course because that's what was necessary to shoot better scores. They werent influenced by TV, pros, and constant marketing that modern golfers of the last 40 years have been. We are learning backwards, IMO, and it makes the game much harder than it already is.

It's not as hard as you think. It can be done in a couple range sessions if you're willing to spend the time and balls. I have three wedges above the set pitching wedge. For those wedges I've got three distances: one with a backswing to shaft parallel to ground, one with right forearm parallel to ground, and full. That's nine different shots you'll have at your disposal. Not necessarily 9 different distances mind you - some of my distances are close enough that they effectively overlap, (say 50* shaft parallel ~ 58* right forearm parallel), but I'll have one to use if I have an open path with a lot of green and one to use if I have to fly trouble or get short sided. When I do his I try to accelerate on each shot as if it's a full swing, but the varying lengths of the backswings limit how much room the club head has to accelerate before it strikes the ball.

Good idea(s). I will definitely work on this when I head to the course/range next time. I actually got a little carried away today and ended up ordering the MD3 52 (S grind), MD3 (56 S grind), MD3 (60 W grind) today. Borrowed and tried the LW (60 W grind) from the Pro at my course last weekend. Loved the way it checked up compared to my Ping G30s. Hope to get all 3 by sometime next week and try them out.

Would have needed to do that anyway because I am going up 2 degrees on each of those clubs from 50/54/58 and I need to get an idea of the distances. Am thinking of trying all of the 3 shots (per club) next time I head to the course and get some kind of idea on how far they go.

I have 4 wedges in my bag:

PW
AW
SW
LW

I use the LW for full-shots, chips and pitches (70-80 yards and inside) and use the rest of the clubs for full shots only. I am curious if I am under-utilizing my other wedges and am curious on how most people use them.

Just so we are crystal clear. My statement about my feelings as it pertains to full shots came from OP (quoted above) all of his wedges are used on full shots except for the LW. I have always taught my students to use the scoring clubs for just that, scoring. If you have a club that goes 100 and you use that club full all the time, you have 100 yards covered. How often do you see exactly 100 yards. I may see an exact number for a full swing club a hand full of times in 18 holes. Hence partial shots and since a large majority of golfers are left with tweener yardages inside 120, partial shots are needed more often then full shots. Plus partial shots are much easier to control than full when your dealing with wedges. Will there be occasions to swing full with a wedge, of course. But partial shots will be more abundant.

Just so we are crystal clear. My statement about my feelings as it pertains to full shots came from OP (quoted above) all of his wedges are used on full shots except for the LW. I have always taught my students to use the scoring clubs for just that, scoring. If you have a club that goes 100 and you use that club full all the time, you have 100 yards covered. How often do you see exactly 100 yards. I may see an exact number for a full swing club a hand full of times in 18 holes. Hence partial shots and since a large majority of golfers are left with tweener yardages inside 120, partial shots are needed more often then full shots. Plus partial shots are much easier to control than full when your dealing with wedges. Will there be occasions to swing full with a wedge, of course. But partial shots will be more abundant.
I would also add that partial shots help to reach pins without having to hit a number so that we can avoid trouble better.

100 yards to a back pin with trouble behind the green is a different shot than 100 to a front pin with trouble in front. One, I'm taking a full swing to stop the ball behind the pin and the other I'm taking a partial swing and letting the ball release to the pin.

It's just better to have more tools in the shed.

PW, UW, 56, 60

I use all my wedges for full shots.

Around the green it all depends on the pin location but I try to get the ball rolling as soon as possible with every shot. I try to visualize the lowest shot possible as the high lobs are the lowest percentage. I use my UW for many pitch and run shots. I still favor the 56 and even more the 60 out of the sand.

agree totally and seeing your thoughts more clearly here is why I had questioned them before. It was somewhat surprising to me had you meant something different than what your saying here. So I was looking to see if you actually did have a different thought process when you posted it before just due to the way it was written. That was all my intent was really about as for my post. Simply put your earlier post makes much better logical sense now imo.

I used to use my 56 for most shots, but have switched to the 60 for just about everything. All others are full shots.

I have pw, gw, sw and lw. I use all of the for full swings, partial swings and chips.

I use a full, half and partial swing with these wedges. I only carry the 3.

I am wondering to those who are sort of putting a number or specific point to there less than full swings. Those who may say "half" or quarter" whatever. I mean I never really look at it that way but just simply try to match the shot required with no real percentage point of stoppage. All such shots with wedges imo is just swing as far back as what I feel will get the job done with no "half" or "1/4" per say ever thought about. No?

I am wondering to those who are sort of putting a number or specific point to there less than full swings. Those who may say "half" or quarter" whatever. I mean I never really look at it that way but just simply try to match the shot required with no real percentage point of stoppage. All such shots with wedges imo is just swing as far back as what I feel will get the job done with no "half" or "1/4" per say ever thought about. No?

If you practice it enough you can feel it. It may not be an exact half or 3/4, but it gets to the point after repetition that you can tell the amount needed for a certain yardage that you feel is a "half" swing.

Inside 100 yards I may use anything from LB to PW for full or partial shots.

Course and conditions dependent, of course. Very generally speaking, to a back pin I prefer to flight the ball lower to get it rolling some toward the pin. Front pin, higher and I'll play to a distance a couple of yards long. Nothing burns me up more than coming up short to a front pin.

If you practice it enough you can feel it. It may not be an exact half or 3/4, but it gets to the point after repetition that you can tell the amount needed for a certain yardage that you feel is a "half" swing.

I just think for newer players when we use the term half or third or whatever they may take that literally when in reality its really just a feel without any real specific definite amount. It really can only be this because each shot needs to be different. I assume most would figure that is the case as its fairly logical to figure. But you just never know what one looking for answers might absorb.

I just think for newer players when we use the term half or third or whatever they may take that literally when in reality its really just a feel without any real specific definite amount. It really can only be this because each shot needs to be different. I assume most would figure that is the case as its fairly logical to figure. But you just never know what one looking for answers might absorb.

I actually liked the example(s) JohnSinVA used with the 3 swings with each club being:

- Full Swing
- Swing till club is parallel to ground
- Swing till hands are parallel to ground

The last two are all new shots to me but I hit a few balls in my yard today and found that it was not too hard getting consistency with the shots. I need to go to the course sometime late in the evening and try these shots with my wedges to get a good idea on distances.

Inside 100 yards I may use anything from LB to PW for full or partial shots.

Course and conditions dependent, of course. Very generally speaking, to a back pin I prefer to flight the ball lower to get it rolling some toward the pin. Front pin, higher and I'll play to a distance a couple of yards long. Nothing burns me up more than coming up short to a front pin.

I like this.

I use a 48, 52 and 56.

52 exclusively for sand.

I eyeball as to how much ground is between me and the pin and getting the ball rolling on the green. and whether there is sand or water in between. If it;s less ground I use the 48. Progressively more ground, the higher lofts.

PW, SW, does the chipper count?
Full swings partial swings, whatever I have to try to get the ball to the pin.
From about 100 yards and in, PW. From about 50 and in SW. All depends in what I'm looking at lie-wise.

I have;
pw (165y full shot)
50 (145y full shot)
54 (130y full shot)
58 (115y full shot)
62 (100y full shot)

I use a different pitching method. Lots of wrist, and feet together (slightly open), weight mostly on the front foot Use mainly 62 for anything 80y and in for pitching, on some shots if I need a lower trajectory I'll use my 54.. Partial shots distances I use the clock method, and ball placement for height of shot.
For sand I use my 58.
For chipping I use whatever wedge gets my ball on the green the soonest (most roll).
I enjoy having the 4 wedges (and a pw) as you have the tools for every shot basically. I played with a fellow who only had a pw... He struggled quite a bit on all short shots.

I carry a PW, 52, 56, 60.

PW- I use anywhere from 105-130 - full swings and knock downs
52 - I use anywhere from 80-115 - full swings and knock downs. I also used this club around the green for pitches just off the green.
56 - I use anywhere from 20-80 - full swings all the way down to little pitches.
60 - I use this in the sand and flop shots only.

Back