How do you use your wedges?

I totally get what you are saying. Infact, this is what I want to be able to do. But you have understand that for weekend warriors, figuring out if my half-swing is actually a half-swing or not is a lot harder than just have distances dialed down with the full-swing and have clubs for different distances with those full swings. To me the full-swing is a lot more consistently repeatable than a half or three-quarter swing.

Inside 125 how many greens do you hit and what is you distance to the hole? There are always going to be excuses as to why we don't do something and that is fine. But at some point change has to occur to see improvement

I spent all of 2016 playing half and 3/4 wedges. Inside 80 I was playing partial 54*. 110-80 partial 50*. 135-110 partial pw.

In 2017 I changed to PW, 48, 52 and 56 wedges. Still playing 3/4 shots but added the 48 to close that gap in had in 2016. My hdcp moved 2 points both ways while doing this in 2016.

I think this is the way to go about it. I'm going to start working on this on the course even. I've been telling myself to try and take more club and have an easier swing. Can't get much worse than missing the green as much as I normally do ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a set PW, GW, and a 56* MD3. I guess the Chipper counts in there too.

PW and GW will be anything from full swing to partial swing/chipping/pitching.

56* never gets more than a 1/2 to 3/4 swing, and is mainly used inside 50 yards.

Chipper is mainly greenside or awkward spots that I need a sure shot out.

I spent all of 2016 playing half and 3/4 wedges. Inside 80 I was playing partial 54*. 110-80 partial 50*. 135-110 partial pw.

In 2017 I changed to PW, 48, 52 and 56 wedges. Still playing 3/4 shots but added the 48 to close that gap in had in 2016. My hdcp moved 2 points both ways while doing this in 2016.

I have the exact same wedge setup this year and am playing very similar except I'll go full swings on my 52 pretty often (very confident club for me). I've played probably 15 rounds this year and took my first full shot with my 56* last week, it just rarely happens anymore. I'm down to my lowest handicap ever and I give this strategy a lot of credit.

Last edited:
My 60* rarely comes out of the bag. I really only use it from a tight lie with little green to work with. Chips around the green mostly either go with GW or SW depending on how much green I have and what type of lie I have. SW almost exclusively from bunkers since it has a lot of bounce. I also use various iterations of partial swings for all shots inside of 100 yards with either PW, GW, or SW. Just depends on the yardage. I used to use my LW from 75 yards for a full shot, but I have become way too inconsistent with it.

I happen to think if you are playing mostly full shots with your wedges then you are leaving a great deal in the bag. Wedges are for scoring and I know very few weekend golfers that are accurate using full shots. What happens if you have a partial yardage? Are you guessing how far you have swing to get to that yardage? It's a rare occasion that I hit a full wedge during a round

I hit full swings and I think I do pretty ok with it, but I've been playing that way for years and am pretty comfortable for the yardages on the full swings (as well as the spin produced). As for partial shots, those get used a lot too, and I'm pretty comfortable with those yardages. Heck, this year, I finally worked out the dreaded 60-80 yards as far as partial shots go. I found a repeatable swing, and just choose the appropriate wedge (50, 54, or 58) to get the right yardage with that particular swing.

~Rock

I don't really get the gist of the recent discussions. I mean sure I know partial shots is something needed and used a lot. And I also know a lot of people struggle (especially newer players) struggle with them.
But aside from that don't we play the yardage we have? We don't some how make up are own yardages in order to play partial shots. We are where we are and If I need 112 yrds for example for a given shot and I know my AW is 110-115 club than that is what im usuing unless of course certain whether or course and landing slopes and conditions dictate otherwise. If I have an in betweener for my 7 or 8 iron I will play my 7 partial (most the time) vs a strong 8. That same scenario works its way imo through the bag. Obviously when we get to wedge distance we run out of next shortest clubs and so we have to take partials due to that yardage. Then of course when we get even closer to greenside distances (say 50 and in) we may use different partial clubs for the given scenario and desired ball flight and path.

I mean like if im 125/130 out I am using my pw. And if im at that distance 7 times today then that that is what I would use 7 times unless extenuating circumstances. Why is that wrong? If Im at Aw distance or SW or even lw distance 7 times today why would it be wrong to use that club 7 times? Sure..slopes, landing conditions, and desired shot size and shape can at times have me alter from that norm. But its almost being implied that if your not taking mostly partials your doing something wrong. Not sure I quiet get that part unless where its needed. I mean in one sense its not too often we are at exact yardages for our given clubs so we are always adjusting a little imo anyway but till im not quite getting the gist here.

Not very well.

I don't really get the gist of the recent discussions. I mean sure I know partial shots is something needed and used a lot. And I also know a lot of people struggle (especially newer players) struggle with them.
But aside from that don't we play the yardage we have? We don't some how make up are own yardages in order to play partial shots. We are where we are and If I need 112 yrds for example for a given shot and I know my AW is 110-115 club than that is what im usuing unless of course certain whether or course and landing slopes and conditions dictate otherwise. If I have an in betweener for my 7 or 8 iron I will play my 7 partial (most the time) vs a strong 8. That same scenario works its way imo through the bag. Obviously when we get to wedge distance we run out of next shortest clubs and so we have to take partials due to that yardage. Then of course when we get even closer to greenside distances (say 50 and in) we may use different partial clubs for the given scenario and desired ball flight and path.

I mean like if im 125/130 out I am using my pw. And if im at that distance 7 times today then that that is what I would use 7 times unless extenuating circumstances. Why is that wrong? If Im at Aw distance or SW or even lw distance 7 times today why would it be wrong to use that club 7 times? Sure..slopes, landing conditions, and desired shot size and shape can at times have me alter from that norm. But its almost being implied that if your not taking mostly partials your doing something wrong. Not sure I quiet get that part unless where its needed. I mean in one sense its not too often we are at exact yardages for our given clubs so we are always adjusting a little imo anyway but till im not quite getting the gist here.

Why is it that you make more out of something hen need be. I was speaking to the op and what I feel. What's not to get?

Why is it that you make more out of something hen need be. I was speaking to the op and what I feel. What's not to get?

Im not trying to make something of anything. We speak to all imo when we post in the threads. And I found your posted thoughts interesting is all and wondered more about them and so I posed some question and further discussion. Did I do something wrong?

You stated that taking too many full shots is leaving too many in the bag which I wouldn't disagree completely. It was implied as though most shots with wedges should be partials and if not than its something that should be fixed. I did not take that as anything bad but only to discuss that doesn't it just depend on the yardage we have in front of us? We play with the yardage we have and if that's a full club (wedge) than that should be ok too. I don't really know how/where I may have struck a nerve there with that.

Last edited:

i think i get what you're saying, and i tend to agree.

on one hand, i heard an anecdote about johnny miller. warming up on the range before a tournament, a fellow pro came to him and asked, "hey johnny, what club do you hit from 100?" johnny didn't look up, just answered "all of them." the pro says, "you didn't understand my question." and johnny replies, "no, you didn't understand my answer." as the story goes johnny proceeded to hit every club in his bag to the 100y stick. his point being we should know how to hit the shots.

but we're not all as skilled as johnny, are we? we certainly don't have that kind of time to practice. so if i know a full swing 7i is my xxx club, and i subtract 10y off each club for gapping, why should my wedges not follow those same gaps? if i'm only supposed to hit partial shots with wedges because that is supposed to be the best way to get the ball close to the hole, why wouldn't the same idea apply to my 7i? should i only hit it 1/2 or 3/4 with every club in my bag, if that's the way to get dialed in? i suppose the simple answer would be no, because the margin for error with a 7i is much more acceptable than a sand wedge, but my premise remains the same.

i've never been good at managing big gaps. i want to be able to use one stock swing as often as possible.

and yet we hear from accomplished players that they rarely swing their wedges full. well, they're accomplished players for a reason, so maybe i should listen to what they have to say! and like freddie says, at some point you have to get out of your own way if you want to improve.

fun conversation!

I play four wedges. I use my PW and GW for full shots and then all the rest for partial shots and chips.

PW-45 degree rocketbladez
50-Vokey SM6
54-Vokey SM6
58-Vokey SM6

Im curious what degree of bounce do you people have for your Lob Wedges say 58,60 and higher. I actually forget at the moment but I believe mine is either 8 or 10 so that would be mid I assume.
My 60* is 8* bounce. My 54* is 10*. I think 8 is pretty standard

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have almost the same Wedge setup and just carry 3 as well. I will bump and run every chance I get with the PW. Highest lofted wedge only comes out if I have to hit over something. The middle wedge is for full swings usually right around 100 yards or so.

I've become quite fond of bump and runs with the 8 iron. There is a lot less check for me with that club than with the 48°.

I'm still getting used to chipping this way, but it is beginning to work out that the 8i is great for long chips, the PW is perfect for mid range ones, and the 52 is my short range club, and I can keep the same general stroke length for each shot.

I'm trying to take the guesswork out of my short game (I suck at guesswork!) and this is helping me do that. My pap and his friends chipped this way and I was always in awe how good they were at it and how well it worked. I'm committed to learning this lost art now.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I've become quite fond of bump and runs with the 8 iron. There is a lot less check for me with that club than with the 48°.

I'm still getting used to chipping this way, but it is beginning to work out that the 8i is great for long chips, the PW is perfect for mid range ones, and the 52 is my short range club, and I can keep the same general stroke length for each shot.

I'm trying to take the guesswork out of my short game (I suck at guesswork!) and this is helping me do that. My pap and his friends chipped this way and I was always in awe how good they were at it and how well it worked. I'm committed to learning this lost art now.

I'm actually putting an old 44* wedge back in my bag that I just loved to bump and run from pretty much anywhere inside 100 yards as long as the green was open in front. Not sure why I ever took it out.

on one hand, i heard an anecdote about johnny miller. warming up on the range before a tournament, a fellow pro came to him and asked, "hey johnny, what club do you hit from 100?" johnny didn't look up, just answered "all of them." the pro says, "you didn't understand my question." and johnny replies, "no, you didn't understand my answer." as the story goes johnny proceeded to hit every club in his bag to the 100y stick. his point being we should know how to hit the shots.

but we're not all as skilled as johnny, are we? we certainly don't have that kind of time to practice. so if i know a full swing 7i is my xxx club, and i subtract 10y off each club for gapping, why should my wedges not follow those same gaps? if i'm only supposed to hit partial shots with wedges because that is supposed to be the best way to get the ball close to the hole, why wouldn't the same idea apply to my 7i? should i only hit it 1/2 or 3/4 with every club in my bag, if that's the way to get dialed in? i suppose the simple answer would be no, because the margin for error with a 7i is much more acceptable than a sand wedge, but my premise remains the same.

i've never been good at managing big gaps. i want to be able to use one stock swing as often as possible.

and yet we hear from accomplished players that they rarely swing their wedges full. well, they're accomplished players for a reason, so maybe i should listen to what they have to say! and like freddie says, at some point you have to get out of your own way if you want to improve.

fun conversation!

When you get inside 125 it's more of exact science. Flighting the ball in close can be done with a solid wedge set up. And you do hit partial shots with all clubs in your bag.

fun conversation!
I get both sides of the argument here, as I have believed both at different times. At this current point, I am all in on Johnny Miller's perspective. My game got light years better once I started learning how to hit multiple shots and clubs to the same target.

It didn't even take any more range work than I normally put in. I just had to change the focus of my practice from working on my swing (It will always need work anyway) to working on a specific shot that I felt I needed to score with.

Case in point, we tend to have a good bit of wind where I'm at and most often, the wind on the range is dead into the teeth. Instead of working on my swing those days, I'll grab my short irons and wedges and hit low, partial swing, knockdown shots to each of the pins under 130 yards. I figure, why fight the wind when I can use it to practice better?

I also use the time when the range guy is picking to hit chokedown lasers with the driver for those times when I need to hit the ball 250yds and not risk getting caught on the wind ( @Jaysfan witnessed this one firsthand ? ).

The absolute best part about this type of golf is that A) I am better equipped to move my ball from point A to point B, which is the basic idea of the game anyway, and B) that there is another way to move the ball around the course when those days arrive when the swing is a pile of dung.

I'm all about keeping things simple, but sometimes it gets more complicated before it becomes even simpler.

I get both sides of the argument here, as I have believed both at different times. At this current point, I am all in on Johnny Miller's perspective. My game got light years better once I started learning how to hit multiple shots and clubs to the same target.

It didn't even take any more range work than I normally put in. I just had to change the focus of my practice from working on my swing (It will always need work anyway) to working on a specific shot that I felt I needed to score with.

Case in point, we tend to have a good bit of wind where I'm at and most often, the wind on the range is dead into the teeth. Instead of working on my swing those days, I'll grab my short irons and wedges and hit low, partial swing, knockdown shots to each of the pins under 130 yards. I figure, why fight the wind when I can use it to practice better?

I also use the time when the range guy is picking to hit chokedown lasers with the driver for those times when I need to hit the ball 250yds and not risk getting caught on the wind ( @Jaysfan witnessed this one firsthand ).

The absolute best part about this type of golf is that A) I am better equipped to move my ball from point A to point B, which is the basic idea of the game anyway, and B) that there is another way to move the ball around the course when those days arrive when the swing is a pile of dung.

I'm all about keeping things simple, but sometimes it gets more complicated before it becomes even simpler.

Those were slick dude, set us up in a good spot in a couple occasions

Those were slick dude, set us up in a good spot in a couple occasions

I remember the terror on your face when I pulled it the first time too!

You: "You're hitting driver here?!?!?!"

Me: "Trust me. I got this."

Current setup:
PW 45* (iron set)
AW 50* (iron set)
SW 54*/10 (SM6)
LW 58*/8 (SM6)

Considering I just got fitted and redid the whole bag, I don't have distances totally dialed in yet. But, I will hit full and partial shots with the PW and AW. I don't quite go full (at least not often) with the 54 and 58. It just doesn't usually work that well for me. If I go at it a little harder with those two, I just end up hitting it higher, not really any further. 58 has been my go-to in greenside traps and anywhere else around the green where I don't want much run out. If it's an uphill green and the pin is far back, I'll use anything from an 8i to my AW, depending on exactly how much run out I need.

The 58 is the M grind and I absolutely love it. Feel like I can hit any kind of shot I want with it. The 54 is the S, and I'm not sold just yet. I'm contemplating swapping it for an F grind and making full shots easier.

I need that shot in my arsenal!

evf going straight up morpheus. i like it!

excellent thoughts dude. i know when i tried to simplify the bottom end of my bag, i was left with a ton of indecision and inability to manage my gaps. so i added more wedges for tighter gapping, and have appreciated it. granted it's a failed company so take that for what it's worth, but that's the philosophy ben hogan golf was going for with their loft numbers instead of iron numbers and that philosophy about gapping carried down through the bottom of the bag too. lots of ways to skin the cat, and i still come back to the fact that better players like you, freddie and spittle miller all say the same thing, so that carries a lot of weight.

I am a little worried we maybe we running into the creek . Then the ball game off the club face perfectly, nicely set up. Flip wedge in

I need that shot in my arsenal!
If you play in wind at all, it is so, so helpful to have!

PW - Full shots, 1/4 swings, chips when I need to keep it lower
AW - Full shots, chips/pitches, green side chips
54* - Full, 1/2 shots
60* - Full, 1/2, 1/4 shots, flops, greenside bunkers

Back