How Does your Club Handle Member/Guest?

Lots of member guests are done as round robin match play 9 hole matches with 27 holes one day so the AM/PM double shotgun thing does not work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Format would play a role for sure. The club I caddied at did an 18 hole match per day, for 4 days, so it worked for them.

Public course guy here. So, I cannot relate to the problem at all. But, I can sympathize as if I were to spend the $$ to get a membership at a private club, I would be pretty irritated that I wasn't able to get into a staple event. I can see not getting in one year. But, to essentially wait 3 years for an opportunity to play is kind of lame.

120 teams (1 member/1 guest per team). For reference, the club has two courses, and somewhere between 950 and 1,000 golf members. Sells out within 10 minutes every year. Signups are typically at 7am on a Friday or Saturday, online.

There is no priority for playing in it last year, or for being at the club a certain number of years, or anything like that. There is a wait list, and from what I understand, a decent number of wait listed members end up getting into the field each year.

Signups are about 3 months before the event, and there's no charge immediately. It ends up getting billed to the member's account about a month or so before the tournament. Total cost is just under $2k per team. 3 day event; 4 if you count the Wednesday practice round, optional skins game, stag night, etc. And there are some great tee prizes and giveaways.

do you mean tenure as in time as a member, or years in the event?

Either.

But on further reflection, I think a certain % or top x number should get auto entry into the next year's event. They earned a spot. But the idea that just because a person participated, they get lifetime entry, seems a bit unfair and would really rub me the wrong way.

Here’s how we run it.

Member guest is open to whoever wants to play. There’s no handicap constraints. As long as you are a member in good standing (i.e. paid and up to date on your bill) you can play. The field is made up of 60 teams, one member and one guest. The guest has to be from a different club. In years past since it is an MGA sponsored event and the primary male on the account is the only male allowed to play, the primaries tried to take their kids as guests.

All guests must have a verifiable handicap OR (I don’t agree with this) 10 signed scorecards we build a handicap off of. I think they need to have an account with some sort of handicap system.

Member guest costs 800.00 per team if registered two weeks in advance. If they miss that deadline the price jumps to 1000.00. We are notoriously a club which signs up super late for any event. That’s to avoid that.

Additional skins each day when applicable.
Horse race is additional as well.

72 holes of golf over 4 days.

Lots of booze. Lots of chaos. Lots of work. Also lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here’s how we run it.

Member guest is open to whoever wants to play. There’s no handicap constraints. As long as you are a member in good standing (i.e. paid and up to date on your bill) you can play. The field is made up of 60 teams, one member and one guest. The guest has to be from a different club. In years past since it is an MGA sponsored event and the primary male on the account is the only male allowed to play, the primaries tried to take their kids as guests.

All guests must have a verifiable handicap OR (I don’t agree with this) 10 signed scorecards we build a handicap off of. I think they need to have an account with some sort of handicap system.

Member guest costs 800.00 per team if registered two weeks in advance. If they miss that deadline the price jumps to 1000.00. We are notoriously a club which signs up super late for any event. That’s to avoid that.

Additional skins each day when applicable.
Horse race is additional as well.

72 holes of golf over 4 days.

Lots of booze. Lots of chaos. Lots of work. Also lots of fun.

With it being only 60 people does it sell out and there is a waiting list formed?

With it being only 60 people does it sell out and there is a waiting list formed?

It’s funny you ask this. The club is right in the middle of hurricane Harvey’s wake. People were still recovering last year and rebuilding homes.

We hit 60 last year in about 2 days. Now that oil and gas has rebounded, housing is more readily available and cheaper coupled with more and more members joining we should sell out quick this year.

Can’t speak on waitlist specifics

Been a member of 3 courses with member guest tourneys in 2 states.

All were over $600 entry fee with a closed course for 2 1/2 days. One had a max of 72 (played on mix of 3 nines) & the other 2 were capped at 60.

All were 1st come 1st served and were perceived as the show case tourney.

My club is a bit different as our member guest js typically member/member member/guest and are two one day tourneys

I think max pairing would be 66 double teeing per day

First come first serve

The way your club does it sucks

Being in the UK this sort of stuff and the money you are all talking blows my mind. I'm lucky enough to get a few pro-ams at some very nice courses but apart from that never really look at member/guest events as usually they are booked up by established members of the club the day it is put on the board.

This also opens up another area that is tough for new members at clubs. Hard to get a pairing or a foursome together if you don't know anyone there, this means you are relying on people not turning up to get tournament play. Not many places around here do random selection of groups

A recent conversation offline has been intriguing enough that I wanted to see how things were handled by the masses as far as Member/Guest Tourneys.

The Oasis has a very "unique" method that I dont necessarily care for and I wanted to see how it is handled at other courses as well.

So with that said, let me know the answers to the questions below:

1. How many members can sign up for the Member/Guest?
2. How is the signup handled? Is it first come first serve? Is it a random draw? Is it something else?
3. How is the wait list done? Is it based on signup order, random draw for position, etc?
4. Do previous year's participants receive any kind of priority or preference?
5. As far as capacity, are all of the spots taken on a annual basis? Is there always a wait list due to demand?

I'll share the Oasis's below:

Open to 60 members and their 1 guest.
The 60 members from the previous year are GUARANTEED a spot in this year's event. Should anyone decline it defers to the wait list which has a lottery in the current year for the available spots (last year's wait list has preference). The leftovers from last year who do not get a spot this year, plus the new signups for this year form the new wait list.

So to give you a rough idea on where things stand this year.
It is expected 58-59 of the 60 from last year will sign back up again.
The wait list last year had 18 guys, 14 of which are expected to sign up this year. So those 14 from last year are battling for 1-2 spots.
And therefore anyone signing up for this year has NO chance of getting in this year and is simply positioning themself to be on the wait list next year in the hopes of battling for 1-2 spots with 14-20 other members.

In other words you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. Obviously Im more of a fan of giving everyone an equal chance.

Mike, the way that Oasis does it is very similar to the way Fox Meadows does it. It’s annoying. If there’s that much want to do it and play in it, just expand it to allow the others in and cap it at 70 or 80 teams. I don’t think our waitlist gets that long like yours but there always is one and inevitably they will expand it another 4-6 teams depending on the schedule of events and time allowance. More importantly, I’d like to know the rough costs of yours compared to ours? (Cost, schedule, days, etc)

Mike, the way that Oasis does it is very similar to the way Fox Meadows does it. It’s annoying. If there’s that much want to do it and play in it, just expand it to allow the others in and cap it at 70 or 80 teams. I don’t think our waitlist gets that long like yours but there always is one and inevitably they will expand it another 4-6 teams depending on the schedule of events and time allowance. More importantly, I’d like to know the rough costs of yours compared to ours? (Cost, schedule, days, etc)

Cost is $1100 per team

Thursday-Saturday

This price includes: 18-hole
practice round, Thursday night party and contests, 45-hole match play tournament, event prizes,
food, beverage, tournament gifts, entertainment, and couples party on Saturday evening.

Cost is $1100 per team

Thursday-Saturday

This price includes: 18-hole
practice round, Thursday night party and contests, 45-hole match play tournament, event prizes,
food, beverage, tournament gifts, entertainment, and couples party on Saturday evening.

Sounds like almost the exact same schedule of events. I think ours is $900ish

We don't have the member participation for slots to be a big issue. They probably have a limit but i haven't seen or heard of people wanting to play that can't.

bump...anyone else?

Back