How Does your Club Handle Member/Guest?

The club that I worked at, it was two days, 40 Team spots (1 member, 1 guest).
Was first come first serve with a $250 non-refundable deposit.
Different entry list each year.
If someone dropped out, wait list was in order of sign up and we would run down the list until someone filled the available spot.
72 spots, first come first serve. Spots go within 5 minutes. Usually a line to sign up where people start lining up early.

They do open 14 of the spots early and they as designated sponsorship spots, these range from $500 more to $10000 more. This is the route I went this year just made it simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I played as a guest this past year at The Williamsburg Golf Club (owned by the pres of Waste Management). They opened it to 60 teams as well and it was first come first served. Teams had 24hrs to pay deposit and the rest was due at the mixer the night before the tourney started. It sells out in the first day every year. Allowing the past teams to have automatic entry is stupid. That would be like saying if you won Masters tickets in the lottery, that you get to win them every year and that others have to wait for you to die or decline before being able to have a chance at your spot.
The two I belong to are first come first serve, but they’re smaller. The CC I hope to join this summer is the same way though.
Answering for my dad's member guest as I am not a member of a course:

1. How many members can sign up for the Member/Guest?
I think it's 88 teams of 2, but could be slight off, 80 sounds more realistic. Enough for a shotgun start with double ups on the par 5s, and you play morning one day afternoon the next or the opposite way. Last day is split with lower flights playing morning and rest in afternoon. Championship flight all tee off of 1.

2. How is the signup handled? Is it first come first serve? Is it a random draw? Is it something else?
Show up at clubhouse when it opens (6am), or call in. In person gets handled before phone calls. You select what time of day you want to play first round and get opposite time for 2nd day, along with requests for if you want to play with a certain team either or both days. Random draw for starting holes both days.

3. How is the wait list done? Is it based on signup order, random draw for position, etc?
Based on signup order. No special treatment for previous winners or past participants. It used to be a hot ticket item a decade or so ago, but it's been 5 years since I've gone, so not sure how it is now.

4. Do previous year's participants receive any kind of priority or preference?
Not that I am aware of. With respect to the starting hole, I seem to always start on a difficult hole that I would rather play a few holes before going to, so maybe I get "reverse treatment"!! :banghead:
Hey guys forgot to ask. Do these tournaments typically "sell out" each year and have some kind of wait list when the dust settles? Or are they done not at full capacity?

I mean, you can disagree all you want, but comparing a 100 dollar member/member event that is sandwiched between tee times to an event that closes the entire course for multiple days, is all inclusive, and costs 1,000 dollars is kind of a pointless endeavor and it's the same thing I'll say on the numerous committees I'm a part of if it goes that far.

Not sure why he would care. They upped it to 72 and the practice round took six hours. tends to happen when it's open bar for the entire event.

Dont shoot the messenger:

Of the people you talked to, did they just all have a first come first to fill the event registration? If so, have they been operating at a full field for several years running or are their fields below capacity? Thanks to sharing your experience on this situation.

My previous club had a similar policy but we had a TON of teams. I believe it was capped at 104 teams. We had 2 shotguns per day. First priority went to people that were in it the year before. They had to commit by a certain date. After that, it was first come first serve. I think possibly 1 year we had teams that wanted to play but were not able to. We very much felt like it was the premier event of the year (ours was 3 full tournament rds and 1 practice rd), and we wanted anyone who was a member and wanted to play to be able to.

Having said that, many many clubs around here have almost identical rules to your club. They limit it to 72 teams and there is a big wait list. Their rounds also take 5.5 hrs for every round as everyone was on the course at the same time etc.

Of the people you talked to, did they just all have a first come first to fill the event registration? If so, have they been operating at a full field for several years running or are their fields below capacity? Thanks to sharing your experience on this situation.

Is that Brandon's question?

It wouldn't be the first time he didn't ask all the relevant questions... or assume this was in reference to other, similarly constructed events. I'm simply trying to improve on what would be a great case study.

As I've done in the past and will continue to do, I'll happily support challenging the status quo if it makes sense to do so. In fact, in this specific event, I've challenged the tee box logic for multiple years to improve the experience for the members playing with their shorter hitting fathers. Nothing is perfect.

Is that Brandon's question?

It wouldn't be the first time he didn't ask all the relevant questions... or assume this was in reference to other, similarly constructed events. I'm simply trying to improve on what would be a great case study.

As I've done in the past and will continue to do, I'll happily support challenging the status quo if it makes sense to do so. In fact, in this specific event, I've challenged the tee box logic for multiple years to improve the experience for the members playing with their shorter hitting fathers. Nothing is perfect.

yes sir from his email to me, sorry should have prefaced that better. In response to me telling him that I had talked to a handfull of people offline and his course was the only up to that point that was not first come first serve. I told him my sample was really small and that Id branch out to try and hear from more people and report back.

Hey guys forgot to ask. Do these tournaments typically "sell out" each year and have some kind of wait list when the dust settles? Or are they done not at full capacity?

Generally filled within a week if I remember correctly. There would be like 5-7 on the waitlist and maybe 1 would get in each year. With the large deposit it made sure that people were committed.

We would announce the sign up date 2 weeks before the sign up actually opened.

Generally filled within a week if I remember correctly. There would be like 5-7 on the waitlist and maybe 1 would get in each year. With the large deposit it made sure that people were committed.

We would announce the sign up date 2 weeks before the sign up actually opened.

thanks for the additional info!

One thing my dad's club does is offer a 2nd member-guest in the fall. It is not as "premier" if you will, if the main one is 3 days, then this one is 2. Anyone who is on the wait list and does not get into the main one, gets first priority into that one. Still was very well attended and made money for the club.

I agree with you though. I don't think I would be a member at a club if I couldn't get into the biggest event of the year for like 5 or 10 years.

One thing my dad's club does is offer a 2nd member-guest in the fall. It is not as "premier" if you will, if the main one is 3 days, then this one is 2. Anyone who is on the wait list and does not get into the main one, gets first priority into that one. Still was very well attended and made money for the club.

I agree with you though. I don't think I would be a member at a club if I couldn't get into the biggest event of the year for like 5 or 10 years.

I love that idea!! My course might not be super excited about it because the discussions in the advisory board meetings over the last year reflect the idea of reducing tournaments with how many there are, but it is a wonderful way to support those trying to get into the big one.

Also, 5-10 years.. .there's no chance. I've not heard a single story in 20 years where it took more than 1-2 years to get into this event. It certainly paints an ugly picture but I do not see it as a reality.

That's actually a pretty great idea.

I love that idea!! My course might not be super excited about it because the discussions in the advisory board meetings over the last year reflect the idea of reducing tournaments with how many there are, but it is a wonderful way to support those trying to get into the big one.

Also, 5-10 years.. .there's no chance. I've not heard a single story in 20 years where it took more than 1-2 years to get into this event. It certainly paints an ugly picture but I do not see it as a reality.

I know they had similar discussions (and complaints) about too many tourneys etc. The fact of the matter is, the fall one is a bit more loose/fun (main one is match play, fall one is stableford, best ball, scramble etc), and is only on the weekend. They usually get a very good turnout for it and pace of play is 1000x better. I honestly enjoyed it more than his "main" one having played in both.

The club should want to do anything that makes money for it frankly. And member guests are the biggest money makers of the year usually, especially paying what we/he/you pay for it.

FYI Brandon did mention revisiting the wait list process because this will be the 3rd year in a row that certain members on the wait list will not get into the event. Sounded like some kind of rule that says once you have been on the wait list for 3 years you cannot get skipped over for a new person recently added to the list. Obviously not set in stone yet.

Last edited:
What if they made it so after every few years (say 3) the list got renewed. Those on the waiting list for 3 years+ got first dibs and those who were in for 3 years+ taken out. Start with the longest tenure and wait on both sides.

I know they had similar discussions (and complaints) about too many tourneys etc. The fact of the matter is, the fall one is a bit more loose/fun (main one is match play, fall one is stableford, best ball, scramble etc), and is only on the weekend. They usually get a very good turnout for it and pace of play is 1000x better. I honestly enjoyed it more than his "main" one having played in both.

The club should want to do anything that makes money for it frankly. And member guests are the biggest money makers of the year usually, especially paying what we/he/you pay for it.

Interesting take. As far as mine goes, I am not sure they make much if anything on their member/member tournament. Lost profit on rounds/cart fees/food from those 3-4 days and the amount of food/booze/stuff they give away.... I'd be shocked they make a dime.

A while back my dad's would sell out that morning sign ups opened, but I think it still sells out, just take a lot longer now, if not, it gets very close to full. It's very possible that it's a combination of the town and the course making changes. The town is going through a lot more drug related crime, and people are moving out of the area, plus kids are no longer graduating high school and college and returning home (I am in that group). With respect to the golf course, there are more membership options, some of which are more "part-time" and don't include access to the M/G tourney and even leagues. This is the one my dad is in, and I believe you have to commit to it for a couple years.

The one I played in sells out on the first day every year and has for a very long time so I have been told (Im the guest). There were several teams that play in it each year with the same guest and others that change their guest along with new teams that signed up. It consisted of a Thursday practice round and mixer with rules that night and buying teams. Friday was breakfast 2 9hole matches and lunch and Saturday was breakfast 2 9hole matches lunch and dinner that night. I thought it was pricey at $600 a person but that also covered tee gifts and beer. Most of the members and their guest have a job where they make ample money so for them $600 was cheap.

My club does fist come first serve. Usually fills up a couple days after signups open. We do 60 (120 players) teams. If you want in you can get in as a general rule.

Interesting take. As far as mine goes, I am not sure they make much if anything on their member/member tournament. Lost profit on rounds/cart fees/food from those 3-4 days and the amount of food/booze/stuff they give away.... I'd be shocked they make a dime.

Guess I should have said, "most clubs usually want to do things that make them more money." Our club tacked on cart fees on top of our entry fee, so they made even more money. And the food/beverages at the course were included, but not the drinks at the dinners, stag night etc. So they made a fortune off that.

Does your club do double shotgun start? Club I caddied at back in the day did a double shotgun start (8am and 1:30am). Each hole had a foursome, and some had 2 foursomes. Was always full, both shotguns. Rounds around 5 hours. Could accommodate more people this way.

No idea how they handled sign ups, or how much it cost. Always seemed to fill up.

Does your club do double shotgun start? Club I caddied at back in the day did a double shotgun start (8am and 1:30am). Each hole had a foursome, and some had 2 foursomes. Was always full, both shotguns. Rounds around 5 hours. Could accommodate more people this way.

No idea how they handled sign ups, or how much it cost. Always seemed to fill up.

Lots of member guests are done as round robin match play 9 hole matches with 27 holes one day so the AM/PM double shotgun thing does not work

Ours sells out within 5 minutes

Cost -$1000

Sponsorship Cost (guarantee a spot)- $1400 (10 spots),$4500 (3 Spots),$7500 (1 Spot) and $10,000 (1 Spot)

Private or Public- Private

Turnover- We dont have a high membership turnover and if we are talking event turnover well I guess if they get there early enough they are back in it is all in their hands really. Last year we have people start lining up 4 hours before signups opened, I get the tradition argument but I think the whole membership base should get to experience tradition and not just established members of the club/event. This is one thing I think Private clubs sometimes lack, New members join to be part of traditions many times but in certain instances they are blocked out of the tradition for a good bit while they become "established"

Our course closes for three days and our restaurant closes for three days as well. Pool restaurant stays open for people, Course is always in great shape (isnt that expected of a private course?) but they do speed the greens up a bit and make sure everything is fresh.

Wait List is huge for this event and is easily the most sought after at the club. We have several member/member and member/guest tournaments throughout the year but the main multi day one is always the one people want to be in.

Pace of play- I think you have to expect a 5 or more hour round in any type of tournament like this, Its the one time I throw pace of play out the window and just enjoy the company. Not to mention with full open bar the entire weekend and extra cart girls the pace will be slower, We do 9 hole match play matches so this speeds it up a bit but the first day is practice rounds and dogfights second day is 27 holes third is 18 holes and the championship matches.

I guess I will find out this year, as it is my first year at a Private.

That being said, I am not a fan of a tenured approach. I respect that members have been there longer than I, but we all pay the same dues, so I should have just as much a shot as they do to get a spot.

I am much more in favor of a lottery type system, seems the fairest option in my opinion.

I guess I will find out this year, as it is my first year at a Private.

That being said, I am not a fan of a tenured approach. I respect that members have been there longer than I, but we all pay the same dues, so I should have just as much a shot as they do to get a spot.

I am much more in favor of a lottery type system, seems the fairest option in my opinion.

do you mean tenure as in time as a member, or years in the event?

Back