How Fast Are Your Greens?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At your home course or the course you play most often, how fast are the greens you play on?

Medium probably 7-9 but consistent on every green.

They have been 9-10 most of the winter. They will be back at 12 once the grass comes out of dormancy. Champion dwarf Bermudagrass.

There is one course I play a lot that has way fast greens. I honestly have no idea the number, but they are fast. Most of the others I would call rec golf average. Which I would guess is around an 8..

I don’t know for sure buy my guess is in the 11 range. Much faster and some of them would be unplayable and we could have issues with wind moving balls on the green.

Pretty average ~8(?) where I plan to play most of my rounds.

I was curious so I looked up the average public course speed. It says it is around a 9. It said the PGA is around 11.. Just as a reference..

I think they try to keep it at a 9

I would say it probably ranges from and 8-10 and maybe get up to an 11 for tournaments. It can’t really get any faster as they are pretty sloped abs the ball just would stay on a lot of greens.

8-9 typically

I don't know exact numbers but the league course I play are on the quicker side. The other course in the area is much different, practically have to hit driver on them to go anywhere.

right now they are slow because of rain in the winter months probably 7-8 and in the summer normal days 9-10 and tournament time 11-12. We have quite a bit undulation on some of the greens and they obviously are much faster down slope.

Medium probably 7-9 but consistent on every green.
This describes my home course too. It's old and bent grass so they can be bumpy, but they do a good job mowing them and they roll them once a week in season. During the dead of summer they can be a 10 or so sometimes.

I like to play different courses and prefer faster greens.
One's I play the most are 11-12 but a couple of them are 8-10.

Too fast on the mornings that they roll them(Wed., Fri., Sun.) Certainly, over 11, and for tournaments, they get silly where you can tap a downhiller to get it moving, and it will roll 30+ feet.

10.5 right now, they like to keep it at 11 because of slopes and such. It got to 12-12.5 during the winter and it was brutal

Shoulder seasons (fall and spring) in the 10-10.5 range. Peak season, steady 12.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them tested, but they're generally pretty slow for most of the year. Around championships they usually get a little extra attention so they feel WAY faster, but I'd guess they probably top out around a 9.

12 on the Desoto course I play the most. The rest of the courses in the Village are 9 to ten. I always struggle for awhile on those slower greens. They are mix of different grasses and look blotchy and bumpy. Hard to read a break. Desoto rolls theirs consistently and the ball rolls fast and is easier to read the breaks.
Prairie Ridge in Minnesota that I have a membership runs theirs around 11 to 12 most of the time.

2 years ago they made our home course greens quicker for a US open qualifier, they went from slick to very quick. Our greens have always been known for their speed but that really made us appreciate how fast the greens are for the pros.

Back