How Good Are You At Reading Greens?

Pretty good at reading them but pace and distance can be a struggle some days.

I am pretty decent, especially once I get the speed of the green matched up to how much break I play per % slope.

Reading greens is a strength of mine, I'd say that I'm better than average for my index. Unfortunately I can't say the same about number of putts holed per round.

I rarely mis-read the break or speed of a putt..... now executing the putt....well that's a different story LOL. To be fair, I rarely 3-putt

I think I'm pretty terrible at reading them. I can usually put the ball on the line I picked out but it's many times the wrong line.

i've gotten really good over the last couple of years. especially on longer putts.

I feel like I'm bad enough at it that I could probably be shooting high 70s, very low 80s if I were better at it.
Sometimes I get so befuddled that I'll play it to go one way, and it's complete 180 off....which makes for a long 2nd putt. Oddly, the longer and 'break-ier' they are, the better I do.

In the past I felt I was really good at reading greens. I would walk up to the green and if I was inside 20 feet, I felt like I knew the read. I would get frustrated waiting for playing partners because I was so confident. Lately, however, a few stroke imperfections ruined the roll of the ball and its made me second guess my reads. I'm on the mend now but I'm nowhere near where I was 6 months ago.

On a 1 to 10 scale... I'm probably a 4 at green reading. Even that may be too high of a number. I'm usually trying to get the ball inside 3 feet and then hope that I'm not having "one of those days" where I even miss those. If I'm outside of about 8 feet... it's a struggle for me to properly see the break and gauge how hard to hit the putt.

Grain doesn't bother me. I can read grain. Breaks baffle me.

I don't know what changed over the past couple months but I'm reading greens quite well and more importantly I'm hitting my line. Now I can expect to make a few 15-25 footers in a round.

I can usually tell "downhill and right", but couldn't tell you by how much.
If I am familiar with the greens, it helps.
Occasionally , I'll think it breaks right about a foot, and it breaks left by 6 inches.

I am not able to read them. Pretty much I just walk around the green and take in the whole green and then let my mind calculate it subconsciously.

I honestly consider it a strength to my game, but do struggle when playing on greens that are significantly faster or slower than what I'm used to.

I have days where my lines are perfect, and days when I'm just burning edges all day because there's something wrong with the way i'm processing what I see.

One thing that does screw me up frequently, is when my eyes tell me a putt is going to break a given direction, but my feet / equilibrium tell me something different when I address the ball. Like when a putt turns a little left at the beginning, but will ultimately end up going right. My brain just can't handle the conflict lol.

I. Am. Awesome. I hole a ton of putts. A ton.

(This message was written with being the 4th to putt in scramble format as my POV). Honestly this is one of the things I am well below average at for my abilities/HC. I would say I'm well above average for speed and hitting it on line. Finding that line? I stink. You'll hear me exclaim "that broke the wrong way!" at least a time or two every round. I'm an average putter for my level, but this is probably the single worst part of my game. I score WAY better on courses I know, mainly because I know how most putts will break. My middle son, he's a very good short game player for his ability level, amazes me sometimes with his ability to read a green. In the past I'd offen argue with him on the line. I've stopped. If he says it's going right and I see a little left, it's going right. 100% of the time. Greens, particularly slow ones, confound the heck out of me.

I'm much better at reading greens with bigger, more obvious breaks than I am at reading putts with subtle breaks.

Just average-Think it was DP who said that hackers like me need to double the break distance that I think. Break has been much better because of that.The last two months I've missed 4 or 5 strokes a game by a fraction of an inch. Speeds been good. Sure would like to have those strokes back

I like to think that I am very conscious of the green complexes. I pace off every putt for length. I look at low spots overall on the green to get trends for the entire complex. I try and feel it in my feet. I pay alot of attention to breaks on the practice greens in comparison to what I think the break will be like. That being said, I feel like I lip out more putts than anyone that I know lol. Not really sure why...

My reads on bent are quite strong. I lip a ton of putts when I am missing.

The more grainy, the harder it gets for me. Having such limited exposure to that type of grass, it's so easy to overthink everything.

This year - horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading the greens is alright. Where I really struggle is the pace.

I've been a cabinet maker and Carver for many years so I'm use to seeing center, square, right angle. I find that made a huge difference in my green reading. But being new to golf I'm judging that on my results. Today's 9 hole round had 6 one stroke putts.

My demon is the fairway woods.

Well enough that I'm surprised when it doesn't break as I expected.

I think I'm pretty good at it.

When I played Pebble with a caddy there were only a couple of putts that I didn't already have a very similar spot as the one he pointed out

Back