How long do you keep holiday cards?

How long do you keep your holiday cards from friends and family?

• Open them up, read them and toss

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Write down a new address if necessary into the book and toss

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keep them for a few days to a week

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Week to a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Until we take down the Christmas/Holiday decorations

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Forever, they go into a little box that I will keep and make someone else throw away for me

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I had this talk with my wife last night - we have gotten about 30 holiday cards and they are all sitting on top of our fridge right now. I can only expect a few more before we the season ends.

Our discussion was about how long we should keep them this year, as it will be different than other years.

Depending on if my wife gets ahold of them or not. She's a display them type of gal, this year it's been by magnets (edit, not actually magnets I just looked it's some kind of sticky puddy stuff) on the interior of our front door, WTF?!?!

I'm an open and toss sort of dude.

I didn’t know so I just asked my wife. If they have a picture on them, forever which means we have them going back to 1994, the year we got married. :ROFLMAO: We are selling our Minneapolis home next summer so I see a storage unit in our future.

Last edited:
We are typically a keep until the decorations go down sort of family. Since we're not doing any decorations this year our plan is toss them all at the start of the year.

Every year it's the same thing. My wife loves getting them, tells me not to throw up the envelope so she has everyone's new address. When the Christmas decorations come down I throw everything away when she's not home and we never speak of them again.....until next Christmas comes around.

Depends on if we’re hosting anything that particular year. If we’re hosting, we line the mantle until the decorations come down, if we’re not, they get tossed.

Julie’s no clutter rule applies…view and chunk it 😉

Until my wife throws them out and I have no idea when that happens.

Until decorations come down.

I hate clutter. Open, read, toss.

Ours come down when the tree comes down, usually right around New Years.

We hang them up around a door way in the living room and take them down when the rest of the Christmas decorations come down.

Long enough to walk to the garbage after I open them usually.

someone spent time and money sending it out, the least we can do is keep it up/out until we put ours decorations away.

Ours usually get saved. Especially ones with photos.

I tend to keep them and put some of them out with/as decorations each year. I dont get many so it hasnt been an issue and doesnt take much space..

Usually keep them around until the 1st of the year or when decorations come down.

I will display the ones that have the best cover and then toss them once the decorations come down. The rest are tossed almost immediately after being read.

They go in the trash when the tree comes down. They are usually up about 3 weeks total but not many do them anymore anyways

We have a wire "tree" that hangs on the wall. It's meant to hold the cards. We keep them all there until we take down the Christmas stuff. Some might end up in a shoebox because of who they are from, or if it's a picture card but most get tossed.

If it's from anyone other than nieces and nephews either right away or when the decorations come down.

Read them and toss em. I hate clutter and those are clutter. My mom on the other hand has garland around a double wide 9’ door and places all of them on that.

Depends on who they are from, If the are from The Kids or Grands, we keep them.....From State Farm, trashed

We keep ours until the decorations come down, then they get tossed.

Back