How long do you wait?

JBJGolf

Reaction score
Last year I tore my labrum in my right shoulder and continued to play several rounds before I made the decision to have surgery.

This year I hurt my wrist in July and continued to play, now it's getting tough to play. I shot a 117 today, the highest score I have had in years. A lot of years. I'm pretty much bracing and icing through the week and playing Sunday/Monday.

To the question... how long do you wait until you shut it down? The season is almost over, I want to play until I can't due to weather. I just am not sure if I should. I have reinjured it several times, the worst being at the Bridgestone and it just hasn't been right. Anyway, what do you do?

it's really hard to stop playing golf when the weather is nice but if my scores where going up at a alarming rate I would probably shut it down.

it's really hard to stop playing golf when the weather is nice but if my scores where going up at a alarming rate I would probably shut it down.
This.

I tore something in my left shoulder early this year. Never went to the doc, I'm stubborn. Still can't reach out to the side of me or behind me without sudden intense pain and loss of all strength. But swinging the club hurt early but was not horrendous. Still, I think I subconsciously started to alter my swing to find a more comfortable path.

Screwed me up, scores climbed. When they hit 92, I set 95 as the number. If I hit that, I'd hit the doc's office and consider surgery.

Pain subsided some, I found my swing. Discomfort when playing, some pain, but tolerable.

Basically, when it stops being fun it may be time. Pain/frustration/enjoyment ratio is key.

I hurt in various places and probably won't do much about any of it for a few years.

I'll go until I can't stand it, and then probably go some more. What an addiction.

Shut it down when the pain sucks and your game suffers.

I play until he weather shuts me down and then I worry about healing!!

When the pain doesn't allow me to play

Most of us here are golf fanatics, so situations like these are really hard. We want to play!

The way I look at it is to determine if continuing to play carry's a longer term problem or not. Some injuries hurt, but continuing doesn't have any long term downside. Others risk taking me out for A LOT longer. Those are the ones I can convince myself to shut it down.

Even if I can't play, I will try to find something golf related I'm allowed to do. It might be just putting, or putting and chipping. But whatever it is, I'll take it. I know some of you hate practicing, so this doesn't work for everyone. But I love to practice, so it works for me.

Praying you heal soon.

I only stopped because injury happened. If I hadn't had this injury occur I would have worked my game out and tried to fix it on the course but I can tell you now that taking a rest and avoiding injury is a lot better alternative than getting hurt and being forced to shut it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from some lower back pain, golf is rarely the cause of my various hurts. I don't think physical pain or injury has kept me from playing golf, though I have chosen to play less golf in response to some shoulder pain that wouldn't go away a few months ago.

Being a hockey player I would continue to play unless I can't! Same goes for golf. Once the pain gets to an unbearable level and/or is a total hindrance to my enjoyment, I'll stop but otherwise just rub some dirt on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opted for surgery when the pain got so bad and so continuous that I couldn't sleep at night. It's amazing how much better I feel (and how quickly my scores came down) once I started playing pain free again.

Pain don't hurt! Now 117 that hurts! Once the pain started making me play poorly, I'd shut it down

If I have to prep (ice and brace) a body part all week just to have a chance at playing on the weekend I've passed the point where I would normally shut it down. Listen to your body.

I look at it like this. If I can work, then I can play.

Last year I tore my labrum in my right shoulder and continued to play several rounds before I made the decision to have surgery.

This year I hurt my wrist in July and continued to play, now it's getting tough to play. I shot a 117 today, the highest score I have had in years. A lot of years. I'm pretty much bracing and icing through the week and playing Sunday/Monday.

To the question... how long do you wait until you shut it down? The season is almost over, I want to play until I can't due to weather. I just am not sure if I should. I have reinjured it several times, the worst being at the Bridgestone and it just hasn't been right. Anyway, what do you do?

Injuries suck! Really sorry to hear about the wrist AND your score. You're probably familiar with the RICE treatment method for soft tissue injures (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). I played with a wrist injury two years ago. In addition to rest and ice, I bought a cheap elastic wrist strap at the drug store. Strap provided compression (used during the round) and helped quite a bit. Also took 2 Aleve pills before arriving at the course.

In regards to shutting it down on keep playing; your body has to answer that question. Nagging discomfort is one thing. Permanent damage is another. If you're not afraid to make contact with the ground after striking the ball, then I'd say keep going.

Good luck on Sunday & Monday!

I've been trying to make the decision... I played Monday and started out on fire... Birdie, Par, Bogie, par (with a chunky wedge). Then the wheels came off. I couldn't get my timing back after that chunked wedge. I had to walk off the course early. I might give it one more shot this weekend.

Vortex - I use KTape, it works wonders for support.

I've been trying to make the decision... I played Monday and started out on fire... Birdie, Par, Bogie, par (with a chunky wedge). Then the wheels came off. I couldn't get my timing back after that chunked wedge. I had to walk off the course early. I might give it one more shot this weekend.

Vortex - I use KTape, it works wonders for support.

Bummer to hear about Monday's round. Hope things go better on Sunday.

I would see a doctor first. If he determines that you can't do any more permanent damage by playing then continue to play as long as you can manage the pain.

I suffered a non-golf shoulder injury last year that made it impossible to swing a club. But I still wanted the walk and couldn't stay away from the experience. So I went out with my son, tagged along and just dropped a ball at each green and putted. As the pain subsided, I took to chipping and putting, and then added pitches and short iron shots. Within a couple of weeks I was able to play the whole course again, and didn't have the rust I would have developed by shutting it down completely. A little bit is better than nada.

I made it through the end of men's club. It hurts like hell these days but it's in a brace now. We'll get er turned around.

Glad to hear you're on the mend Joel.

Sorry about your injury. After any serious type injury, I always wait until the doctor gives the OK to resume playing. My latest injury was a spinal fusion, and the doctor said 1 year without swinging a club! That sucks!

Hopefully you get to 100% soon and do no further damage. I think most of us probably 'play through it' far more than our docs would recommend.

Last edited:
Back