how many golfers are "sneaking" onto open (no fences) courses while they are closed?

The course I work at pulled the flags out and posted closed signs. There are still a few people out there. Either singles or a twosome carrying their bags.
I’ll go this week but just by myself with a couple balls and a couple irons. Just something to do alone outside.

Our course is closed and only minimal maintenance is being performed. But many of us are walking our dogs on the course and I am carefully examining the greens and the fairway in a way I don't when I'm playing and sort of planning out shots and spots on the green for the coming year. Hope it opens by May!

If it’s closed, it’s trespassing and I’m out on that.

Trespass and theft is just not something I'd ever do. Most courses are still open here thankfully, but there are probably still some who'd sneak on vs pay even before covid. Probably be harder for them to do if someone was watching for violators at closed courses.

I am surprised but all my nearby courses are open.

Firm no for me, already get nervous with certain shots when I play, don’t need to be nervous about getting caught playing too.

Our course is open, but our driving range is parallel to the first tee which if far from the club house. Because there is little traffic on the course these days there is no starter. I know there are players who drive to the range and hit balls then sneak out on the course without paying. I talked to the pro about this and he said he has caught people doing this so I am pretty sure it is going on now all the time.

If my house backed up to a fairway or green, I would probably pitch balls from my back yard, and then run out to the course to collect them - similar to going into your neighbors yard to retrieve a frisbee. But that is as far as I would take it.

On a related item, if a driving range is closed and I bring my own shag bag... Is that stealing?

Haven't done it but thinking about it. I won't do it if deemed stealing.

On a related item, if a driving range is closed and I bring my own shag bag... Is that stealing?

Haven't done it but thinking about it. I won't do it if deemed stealing.
In using the range, you're not just paying to use the balls, you're paying to use the facility, so yes. It's stealing. And It's still trespassing.

Firm no for me. It is disrespectful. Even if you are a member, it is closed and closed for a reason.

In using the range, you're not just paying to use the balls, you're paying to use the facility, so yes. It's stealing. And It's still trespassing.
Affirmative... It will be a no go then.

I drove out to look for some wide open field this morning...found some. now I just gotta hope no one's playing in it when I get back

I considered it at a par three nearby but I am not doing it. It's not the time and I cant expect more from our leaders if I dont pay attention to what they ask us to do or not do.

The best practice is threading the needle between your neighbor’s houses though! No need for a golf course! 😅

I live in Minnesota so most of the courses wouldn't be open yet anyhow but the Governor ordered them closed. I live in SW Minnesota and there are courses open in Iowa and South Dakota which are both about 40 miles away from me. If the weather straightens out I'll be traveling.

Not me. I don’t want others deciding which rules they’ll break to suit their self-interest and I don’t want the course getting in the **** because of my selfishness.

Playing - no way, but I like that some courses are offering ‘tee’ times for people to walk the course whilst maintaining social distancing.

If the course is closed then it would be trespassing
Can't understand people who think it is okay, but then I guess I shouldn't be surprised

I wouldn't sneak on. In NJ, golf courses have all been closed until further notice.
There are a lot worse things to give up during this time than playing golf. Hopefully we all get the chance to play again in the very near future.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a consistent putting stroke on the sun room rug.

Since I'm not a member anywhere, I'd consider that stealing. Not my thing.

If caught it's a misdemeanor and carries up to 90 days in jail and/or up to $1000 fine. Here in Washington, anyway. Although when we were kids we'd run and scatter when caught doing stuff like that. Now we're too slow.

I would not do it without permission.

I do have blanket permission to play a local course, walking only, anytime they’re closed and the greens aren’t frozen or have frost on them. When Ohio temporarily closed their courses, I called her up to see if I could still play. She told me that would be fine but asked me to avoid any holes that I could be seen from the road, fair enough. Luckily they reopened them shortly thereafter.

But I wouldn’t feel right sneaking onto a course that I wasn’t a member at without permission. If I was a member and was still paying dues, damn right I would.

Back