How much are your yearly Golf Membership dues?

$1034 per month. Range balls, carts and club storage included.

I live on Long Island. Every club has an initiation ranging from $10K - $250K or more. The cheapest club is $7K/year + cart + minimums for a course that's not as good as some public courses. I don't belong to a club but my wife just reminded me I spent $6,000 on golf in 2023 not belonging to a club. I played 40 to maybe 55 rounds tops.

Club I'm looking at is $30k initiation and then $650 per month plus $19 cart fee per round. It's an equity membership and I'd get back 50% whatever they are charging for initiation at the time if I leave
That's really strange. My course is equity as well. When and if I ever leave we own the membership and we have to sell it ourselves. We purchased ours for $18,000 and they are currently being sold for around $25,000.
Bad part is if you happen to sell during a downturn they could go down to worth nothing. At one point during the 2008 recession people were giving them away just to get out of the dues.
With the growth of our area I only see the value going up as there are only 375 memberships and we are the only Country Club in a 70 miles.

That's really strange. My course is equity as well. When and if I ever leave we own the membership and we have to sell it ourselves. We purchased ours for $18,000 and they are currently being sold for around $25,000.
Bad part is if you happen to sell during a downturn they could go down to worth nothing. At one point during the 2008 recession people were giving them away just to get out of the dues.
With the growth of our area I only see the value going up as there are only 375 memberships and we are the only Country Club in a 70 miles.
My last club was non equity so when I left for my new job and moved 40 miles away I just left and got nothing back. I wasn't considering this club because of the $30k at first, but when they said I could get back 50% if I ever leave it made it more enticing. I thought with most equity memberships you had to do what you're describing but it definitely helps that you don't have to sell it. I'm sure initiation fees will go up over time so I could end getting back more than 50% of what I initially paid.

My last club was non equity so when I left for my new job and moved 40 miles away I just left and got nothing back. I wasn't considering this club because of the $30k at first, but when they said I could get back 50% if I ever leave it made it more enticing. I thought with most equity memberships you had to do what you're describing but it definitely helps that you don't have to sell it. I'm sure initiation fees will go up over time so I could end getting back more than 50% of what I initially paid.
Dues creep is the biggest thing we are dealing with. Every year they go up by 10% it seams. Then we all got a $5,000 assessment this year as well.
What started out as a reasonable membership is quickly becoming a cost we are looking at very closely.
Don't get me wrong I cannot get anywhere close the value at any other course nearby.

Dues creep is the biggest thing we are dealing with. Every year they go up by 10% it seams. Then we all got a $5,000 assessment this year as well.
What started out as a reasonable membership is quickly becoming a cost we are looking at very closely.
Don't get me wrong I cannot get anywhere close the value at any other course nearby.
I was pretty set on joining the cc here next year, but was just talking with my friend who is a member and he's leaving because they doubled the dues (which are still relatively cheap compared to a lot of places). Now I'm a little less sure I'll be joining. They have 12 month+ wait list though, so can't really blame them.

My northern VT summer home course is $900/year. It’s a semi private 9 hole track. Cost includes unlimited range time and club storage. I only walk it, no cart. It’s 15 minutes from my house and I get to play it a solid 5 months a year. $1K initiation fee paid up front or spread out over the first five years.

Southwest Florida winter home course is $1800/year. Private 18 hole course. We live on the second hole and have our own cart. No tee times required just go off one or ten please. 5 months a year here as well.

Very happy with what I pay for both experiences.

The other two months of the year are dedicated to my other obsession, deer hunting in New England!

Private 18 hole course. Family membership for me, wife and two boys is $7,500 April to November. Unlimited golf, range, practice facilities and pool use. $175 / month minimum food quota. Carts are extra, but we typically walk. (2) simulators you can rent during the winter months for $50/hour. All in all, a very fair deal.

Unlimited golf at my home course for $1200 CAD / year.

Assessments are the downside to equity memberships. It hurts when they hit you with a big one for repairs after a storm or course renovations or whatever.

Semi-private, unlimited golf, range, no minimums or initiation, annual cost $3,000 CAD. Course is in top 3 amongst 20 tracks within an hour’s drive of my house.

Assessments are the downside to equity memberships. It hurts when they hit you with a big one for repairs after a storm or course renovations or whatever.
Very true. As long as the elected board is connected with the membership they are more likely to understand that not everyone can simply right a huge check at a moments notice.
The flip side is a course that is seldom packed, great conditions, a staff that all know you by name and treats members very well.

Back