How often do the tour players have their club grips changed

jnug

Reaction score
Does anybody have a guess as to how often on average the tour players have their club grips changed. I would guess they can really have it done as often as they like and I just wonder if that turns out to be every other tourney for example or maybe even every tourney if they want. Seem to see a good deal of tour velvet out there and I suspect they change those out frequently.

I'd think it would depend on the player, the grips they play, and how well they played the last round. If I were a constant tour player I'd probably change them once a month if they were the Golf Pride 2G Wraps I use, probably change the velvets every couple of weeks. That would figure in all of the practice I'd be putting into the clubs also. Probably change the clubs a couple of times a year, wedges every tournament.

I'd think it would depend on the player, the grips they play, and how well they played the last round. If I were a constant tour player I'd probably change them once a month if they were the Golf Pride 2G Wraps I use, probably change the velvets every couple of weeks. That would figure in all of the practice I'd be putting into the clubs also. Probably change the clubs a couple of times a year, wedges every tournament.

Are you talking about grips here? From what I know normally players hate changing wedges because of the feel they get with the one's they're used to.

Are you talking about grips here? From what I know normally players hate changing wedges because of the feel they get with the one's they're used to.

I was just saying if it were me and had the funds (constant tour player) I'd change the wedges, completely, the week before a tournament. I don't believe in feel as much as I believe in grooves. :smile:

I was just saying if it were me and had the funds (constant tour player) I'd change the wedges, completely, the week before a tournament. I don't believe in feel as much as I believe in grooves. :smile:

Ya, everybody is different. I guess one tour player could want it a completely opposite way of another. But for the OP, at least a couple of times a year. At least. Grips aren't something you want worn down.

If I recall at one point Vijay used to change his wedges every tournament

My brother in law did q school for a year- he told me he changes his grips once a year, when I first heard that I thought it was too often. Compared to the 10 year old clubs i had that i had never changed lol. But now I would think maybe twice a year if excess practice wore em down.

Obviously depends on the guy and conditions, but the most common I've seen is every other week/every four weeks. Somewhere in there. I change mine twice per season.

Obviously depends on the guy and conditions, but the most common I've seen is every other week/every four weeks. Somewhere in there. I change mine twice per season.

Wow that is not even close to what we see on the tour trucks or with our order sheets from the tour trucks. Possibly because of weather conditions.

What we are seeing is that unless there is something else being done to their clubs (lie adjustment, etc), it is every 2-3 months. Some guys are more fanatical about it and there are guys that go way longer. It also VERY much depends on the grips. Some of the softer grips get done quicker than that of other versions.

It also VERY much depends on the grips. Some of the softer grips get done quicker than that of other versions.

That is what i would have thought. I guess I would be a bit surprised given the amount of play they must get that they can get more than two months out of tour velvet and when I take the time to look I see a good deal of tour velvet out there. In fact I would guess that two months would be fight on the edge for tour velvet if you really tax it.

Wow that is not even close to what we see on the tour trucks or with our order sheets from the tour trucks. Possibly because of weather conditions.

What we are seeing is that unless there is something else being done to their clubs (lie adjustment, etc), it is every 2-3 months. Some guys are more fanatical about it and there are guys that go way longer. It also VERY much depends on the grips. Some of the softer grips get done quicker than that of other versions.

Take it with a grain of salt, it probably doesn't apply across the board. Chatted with a guy who's been on tour and he mentioned it and kinda shook his head (he changed them with much longer intervals) at some of the guys who'd change their grips very frequently. This was about a year ago, don't know which year he referred to specifically but it was of course the Euro tour guys.

Back