How Often Would You Use A Hybrid Around The Green for Chipping?

I use it every so often when I want a long bump and run.

I use the rule of 12(13 with my jacked lofts?) and getting the ball on the ground early has paid a lot of dividends for my short game, especially as I don't have as much time to practice the touch shots around the green. I would need a lot of green to work with in the scenario to pull out the hybrid, but it isn't uncommon to pull out the 5i or 6i when I'm looking for 7 parts roll.

I play hybrids all the time around greens especially if the ball is sitting down a bit... really easy to make it right foot to left foot swing and have the ball pop up and start rolling

What is the advantage of the hybrid say over a 6 or 7 iron?

If you’re on the front side of the green and the pin is very deep, the hybrid will get the ball in the air a bit Less and roll out farther than a 6 or 7 iron. So if you’ve just got a little bit of fringe to get over you get the ball on the ground and rolling sooner.

my instructor has been teaching my wife this to help her get on the green to be able to putt. She has done very well with this technique. She is dialing in her distances and not blading everything back and forth.

i have a hybrid chipper putter that i use for bump and runs

Never for chipping ... but I occasionally use a hybrid for putting if I’m just off the green and in the fringe grass.

I hate this as much as those stupid square strike chippers.

Learn how to chip properly and you’ll really develop your fundamentals

Every once in awhile.... not a usual thing TBH

I have no problem playing it when the conditions call for it. Actually a pretty fun shot to mess around with from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tried it today...looked good at set up. result - not so much.

I maybe do this once or twice a year with my 5 wood and only when I am stuck against a cut of grass that I know won't allow my putter to make it through.

It's not something I've done very often, but when I have I've gotten great results. Any of you THPers do this?

Often, if I still had a hybrid in the bag. I'm not gaming one now, but I had much success chipping with my 4h when it was in the bag.

I mean, if it makes the game more fun...why not? I had a lot of success with a chipper in my bag.
I will say that learning to chip with a wedge is something I’ve worked at, but there’s some logic to using multiple clubs for chipping, especially if we’re talking about something like the rule of 12, where you’re trying to accomplish a specific roll out.

I mean, if it makes the game more fun...why not? I had a lot of success with a chipper in my bag.
I will say that learning to chip with a wedge is something I’ve worked at, but there’s some logic to using multiple clubs for chipping, especially if we’re talking about something like the rule of 12, where you’re trying to accomplish a specific roll out.

Having more shots in your bag is more fun than just plowing it with some trick club

It's not something I've done very often, but when I have I've gotten great results. Any of you THPers do this?

I think 39" to 41" hybrids are a bit too long shafted for consistently good chipping.

Never thought of using hybrid for a chip shot.

I've never actually tried it properly. Is a shot that I should really have in my arsenal, but it just doesn;t set up right for me for some reason. Normally if it calls for it, I would just bump a 6 or 7 iron forwards. Can anyone tell me what the situation for this shot would be? Always happy to learn a new trick.

I've never actually tried it properly. Is a shot that I should really have in my arsenal, but it just doesn;t set up right for me for some reason. Normally if it calls for it, I would just bump a 6 or 7 iron forwards. Can anyone tell me what the situation for this shot would be? Always happy to learn a new trick.

I’d say if you’re sitting just off the green with the pin on the other side of the green. The hybrid will give the ball a little pop in the air but be back on the ground and rolling very quickly.

Especially if you’ve got an obstruction in the line that would prevent you from using a putter for the the shot.

Here’s a video on the rule of 12 for chipping for anyone interested in the technique

I’d say if you’re sitting just off the green with the pin on the other side of the green. The hybrid will give the ball a little pop in the air but be back on the ground and rolling very quickly.

Especially if you’ve got an obstruction in the line that would prevent you from using a putter for the the shot.

Here’s a video on the rule of 12 for chipping for anyone interested in the technique

Perfect, many thanks indeed for that. I'm just in my office at the moment but will give that a watch tonight.

Todd Hamilton (2004 British Open), Justin Rose (2013 US Open) and Martin Kayser (2014 US Open) all used hybrids / fairway woods for chipping at various times during their major wins. If you are looking to improve your score, and I accept that might not be your goal, it would seem silly not to consider how to best use every tool that is at your disposal.

I enjoy hitting the hybrid from around the greens. Few courses around town that have tight lies and after learning not to chip which led to a chunk I simply use the hybrid and give myself a chance to save a stroke.

If the fringe is wet/muddy. Hybrid.

Now when I get spoiled at the club corp life I always chip since the grass is pure and plush.

Back