How Old Is Too Old?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
At what point should you move on from equipment because it’s antiquated? When are you losing performance and giving up strokes because of old technology? Is it a different time frame for different clubs, i.e. driver, irons, wedges…?

In theory? Whenever you want to and you can afford to.
From a purely technical point of view, five years is a long time in golf equipment.

I've often thought about replacing one part of my bag each year so that it rotates fully about every 5 years. Driver 1 year, Woods/Hybrids the next, then irons, wedges, putter. Sounds nice, but I've never actually been disciplined enough to actually do it. I'm committed to something this year. Wedges or driver, maybe both hehe.

I agree with what @JB said. From everything I’ve watched and read, it seems like 4-5 years is when it’s time to upgrade. Even when you look on the PGAT, there probably isn’t a ton of equipment out there older than 3-4 years

At what point should you move on from equipment because it’s antiquated?

I don't turn my back on old friends.

When are you losing performance and giving up strokes because of old technology?

Every round I play, but that's the fun, that's the challenge.

Is it a different time frame for different clubs, i.e. driver, irons, wedges…?

Might change driver more often, but just go ahead and try pulling vintage blades from my cold dead hands.

Last edited:
My answer will be WAY different than most. For me, I like shiny, it’s fun, I also love the tech advances we see, so, I update annually.

I've jumped on every new Ping driver since the G400. Seriously thinking about the 10K.

Perhaps if it no longer performs like it used to. A couple of years ago I put new shafts in my irons.

My answer will be WAY different than most. For me, I like shiny, it’s fun, I also love the tech advances we see, so, I update annually.
Hypothetical question. I gave you a brand new set of Adams CMB irons with your preferred shafts, grips, and we’ll throw in custom ferrules too since it’s hypothetical. Now, they’re brand new and shiny, BUT +/- 10 year old technology. Do you play them or still game something new because of technology advancements?

There is no definitive answer. I still use a 25 year old 3 wood because I hit it great, i'm very confident with it, and I don't believe i'm losing performance or giving up strokes. My swing is what it is, my SS is what it is.

Definitely different time frames in theory. Grooves play a role in my theoretical decision. Wedges get used a lot so they’re getting replaced almost annually. Irons next. Driver could see 2 years in theory. In reality, I update way too often because I like new shiny. I’m changing that this year because I’m not good enough to play anything with good results. But I’m good enough to play familiar clubs with pretty good results.

I definitely agree with what @JB said up thread.

If you like new, and can afford new, buy new.
Five years is a long time for tech improvements, I couldn't imagine playing clubs older than five years as I'm sure I'd be giving something back to the field if I did.

At least you’re honest!

I think certain equipment OEMs are making great improvements year over year. It may not be as big a benefit for a person who’s peppering the sweet spot, but for those of us who don’t it can be game changing.

I think 5 years is where you start to give up yards.

Hypothetical question. I gave you a brand new set of Adams CMB irons with your preferred shafts, grips, and we’ll throw in custom ferrules too since it’s hypothetical. Now, they’re brand new and shiny, BUT +/- 10 year old technology. Do you play them or still game something new because of technology advancements?
I have those, built just like that, with THP shafts in them, in a spare bag.

I still play new tech.

I'm way off the beaten path on this one. I have a driver, wedge, and chipper that are a year or two old, but I play some pretty old irons (Tommy Armour 845Ti). I know I could benefit from the advantages of new clubs, and I'll probably move on to something new in the next couple of years. But for now, I just like the TAs, and enjoy working to improve my shot quality via understanding and improving my swing.

This question honestly comes up quite a bit in my Friday FD group. The best player at our club is still playing a driver that is about 10 years old because he's just that good with it. But we often wonder how much better he could play with some newer equipment. He's won a couple State amateur tournaments in our area, so I guess stick with what works.

Who doesn't like shiny & new every year? Not this guy :ROFLMAO:

Who doesn't like shiny & new every year? Not this guy :ROFLMAO:
SHINY!
maui youre welcome GIF

I very much resemble this question. I have a 3w from 2004 this I still hit great. I've tried to replace it multiple times and I still hit it farther, straighter, and more consistently than newer 3 woods. I don't understand it at all, but I will keep using it until I find something that outperforms it.

I think the unofficlal THP answer is around 30 days, but realistically I think at around the 5 year point you're missing out on some significant technology gains.

Last edited:
I don't turn my back on old friends.

Every round I play, but that's the fun, that's the challenge.

Might change driver more often, but just go ahead and try pulling vintage blades from my cold dead hands.
I’ve spent thousands TRYING to replace my blades from the 80’s. I’ve given up trying! Not happening!

I very much resemble this question. I have a 3w from 2004 this I still hit great. I've tried to replace it multiple times and I still hit it farther, straighter, and more consistently than newer 3 woods. I don't understand it at all, but I will keep using it until I find something that outperforms it.

Smaller head, shallower face would be part of my guess.

Back