How to fix an outside-in driver swing

Ndfan301

Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, tried to find the best spot for it.

I'm fairly certain that I do this with all of my clubs, however they are no where even in the same ballpark as my driver. I have a terrible outside-inside swing that is causing a huge slice and losing distance frankly. I hit an old 3 wood yesterday, and went straight, hybrids and irons are fine, a little leaking to the right but only a yard or so. Driver is not fitted, however when I replace my irons sets (fitting for those then) I might do a driver fitting then to see if it's correct for me, but until then, what are some ways I can correct this?

I recieve videos every Wed from a site called Chuck The Putter. This worked for me on my irons and I am sure it will work for you with a driver.

Something that works for me (when I remember to do it!) is think "4 o'clock" when swinging.

At address, if 12 o'clock is the point on the ball furthest from you and 6 is closest, I try to strike the ball at the 4 o'clock position.

Sounds weird and I can't remember where I read it but it works for me and shows on the videos I've been doing in lessons, I can come back on pretty much the same plane.

Bit I do need to remember to do it, it's not natural yet.

Do a search for the baseball drill. Also, start your swing with your lower body rather than your shoulders.

A swing thought that helps me is moving the hands straight down at the start of the swing. This helps me drop the club on plane. Good luck!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, tried to find the best spot for it.

I'm fairly certain that I do this with all of my clubs, however they are no where even in the same ballpark as my driver. I have a terrible outside-inside swing that is causing a huge slice and losing distance frankly. I hit an old 3 wood yesterday, and went straight, hybrids and irons are fine, a little leaking to the right but only a yard or so. Driver is not fitted, however when I replace my irons sets (fitting for those then) I might do a driver fitting then to see if it's correct for me, but until then, what are some ways I can correct this?

A pretty simple thing to try is to take your normal stance and then close your stance and make some swings. This is something you will have to play with trial and error until you find out what keeps the ball flying straighter. It will probably lead to you hitting your first several shots straight right (if you are a right handed) but you will realize you are too closed or maybe to far from the ball and you will adjust, this adjusting will help you learn more about your own swing. This should also help you release to club and gain some distance. Golf seems to be an ever changing game but it is always nice to know what to try to get the swing corrected or at least playable. Hope this helps, we all learn in different ways and sometimes we just have to keep searching until we find what works for us.

I tried to open my stance at first (thinking trying to play a draw type shot might help bring it back straight) worked for a little bit, didn't solve it. I closed my stance in my previous round, was worse. It's still trial and error I know. Thanks for the advice so far

Think baseball--stance like you are going to hit to the shortstop, then swing like you are hitting to the second baseman---hard to get your head believing it won't make your slice worse, but it will correct the slice with some practice. The headcover/towel under the right arm also helps.

The closed stance worked for me. Make sure you aim the club face at the target with your foot line pointing right for a righty. Take the club back along the line of your feet and keep your back facing the target as long as you can on the down swing. This will definitely get you swinging from the inside. You should immediately hit striaght balls or slight draws.

No matter how much you try to swing inside out, if you don't stay connected (they've given you some drills for that) and stay on top of the ball then it just won't happen.

A drill I use to stay on top of the ball is to try and resist with everything I have, my bodies urge to throw my chest through and out in front of the ball. I try to keep my back turned to the target line through the whole swing (it feels like this, but in all reality it still turns through...just not too much like I usually do). Try doing that and see if it helps you any.

I could tell you what works for me, but I'm a big believer in taking swing issues to a live qualified person. I would locate a PGA Teaching pro in your area.

I would drop you right foot back of your intended target line. This will close your stance. This will help to get the club moving on an inside path on your back swing.
Once you get to the top of your swing your down swing should be started with the left arm and back of left hand moving down toward the target. The lower body will move on its own. I'd practice this drill at 75% until you get used to the feeling.
Another key is to pull the butt of the club down toward the ball and make sure the right knee moves toward the ball at the same time.

I could tell you what works for me, but I'm a big believer in taking swing issues to a live qualified person. I would locate a PGA Teaching pro in your area.
A ton of great advice so far but this is by far the best! Without a certified pro you don't really know what is causing what. We are all different and have our own swings, even the tour guys. No two swings are the same and a PGA pro is who could best assist you.

Severe over the top swing!

Severe over the top swing!

I've been struggling for the last couple of years with an over the top swing I managed to get my handicap down to 12 but since this problem it's crept back up to 15.

i have an ok backswing...sometimes it goes a little inside but generally it's ok on then on the transistion I try to muscle it with my shoulders which means my entire upper body moves forward on the downswing. This results in me hitting steep and across the ball which produces a low pull slice. I have tried all kinds of drills but and I seem to get some success on the practice range but as soon as I get on the course it just seems to come back!

does anyone have any experience with fixing an over the top swing and if so what worked for them

What works for me when I notice I'm coming OTT is I focus on hitting the inside part of the ball. I try to imagine the ball as a clock, the 6 would be facing me & 9 would be facing my target (for a righty), and I try to focus on striking the ball where the 4 would be on a clock. Hope that makes sense.

Can you post a video???

Right elbow pointing down and tight to the body on the back swing.

Back