How to fix slow play on tour

Forgot about that cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the pleasure of standard bearing for him at the Sony. Even I was getting flustered with his putting. Dude needed to see about 14 differant angles on a 5ft putt. God it was annoying. Every time we walked off the green. The guys in front where on the green already. I'll never score for him again

First ask Jordan Speith not to play that week, second ask Jason Day to stay home, 3rd, kill Ben Crane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised it took 23 posts before someone decided to get clever.......

All I know is that if you assessed penalty strokes for any player taking longer than 40 seconds per shot, then Jim Furyk and Ben Crane would never break 90.

Pull sponsorship money because the players take too long that would get them to play faster

Two words.

Shock collars.

If you really want to add something to the next time you watch golf on TV, just start timing players over putts, and shots and see how long they take. Just in the last 20 minutes at the Wells Fargo on the Golf Channel, JB Holmes took 50 seconds to hit off the tee at a par 3. His preshot routine was ridiculously long. Takes three practice strokes, then backs off, looks at the green, then steps up, addresses, and then three more practice strokes. Looks again at the green, then finally pulls the trigger.

JB Holmes, Phil Mickelson, and James Hahn each spent over 1 minute reading a putt before pulling the trigger.

It's not hard to find slow play, because while some players may publicly say they are in favor of speeding up the pace of play, no one (beyond Rory Sabatini: 2005 Congressional tournament paired with Ben Crane - hit ahead of Crane on #17 and played out by himself and left Crane behind him in embarassment) is willing to publicly do something about it.

Mickelson in particular is ridiculously slow, and has been for years. I remember one time when he was next up to hit at #17 at Sawgrass he spent over 3 1/2 minutes having a conversation with Bones about what shot to hit. I mean, why not have that conversation BEFORE it's your turn to hit?

Based just on my little examples above, and the fact that Mickelson is one of the main offenders of being slow, I say your chances of seeing anything concrete change on the PGA Tour with regards to pace of play are slim and none.

Pull sponsorship money because the players take too long that would get them to play faster

Pulling sponsor money because the player is giving the sponsor extra on camera time probably won't work.

Back