How to hit Irons Farther.

The farther a rotating object is from the center of rotation the faster it moves, because it has to cover a greater distance around the circle. If you swing every club with the same tempo your LW will be the slowest and your driver will be the fastest SS in your bag because of the longer shaft and longer swing. This is assuming that you do not feel more confident with one club or another and maybe swing that shorter favorite club with a little faster tempo than what you are swinging a longer club.

I'll be 56 tomorrow. Early last year my swing speed was 78 mph. Now it's around 106 mph. I didn't hit the gym or anything like that. I took some lessons and worked on my golf swing in the off season.

Happy birthday eve.

TM Speed Sleeve has helped me increase my SS...I've also lost 25lbs and been weight and core training. I haven't noticed my SS help me with my driver as much as it helped my iron play.

I also have a question with driver shaft length. I play the adams 9064ls and I believe it has a 45.5 inch shaft. Isn't the average on tour 44.5? I know companies make them longer so you hit the ball further. Well I want to hit the ball more consistent. Could I just grip down about an inch or so on my driver instead of shortening the shaft and having to mess with swing weight?

I also have a question with driver shaft length. I play the adams 9064ls and I believe it has a 45.5 inch shaft. Isn't the average on tour 44.5? I know companies make them longer so you hit the ball further. Well I want to hit the ball more consistent. Could I just grip down about an inch or so on my driver instead of shortening the shaft and having to mess with swing weight?

When I was fitted to my Cleveland driver, the rep fitting me strongly suggested that I not cut the shaft but choke down instead. My driver is 45.75" long and I have adjusted just fine to the extra length. It did take a bit of time though.

You can't teach distance! You can teach technique. At 16 a 150 yrd 8 iron is more than fine. As you improve your distance will increase. Work on your short game (100 yds and in) work in your putting (5,10,15ft) work on your shots, high, low draws and fades. Don't over swing.
You want to hit further....work on holding the angle of the club through impact as long as you can. Trapping the ball will create more distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't teach distance! You can teach technique. At 16 a 150 yrd 8 iron is more than fine. As you improve your distance will increase. Work on your short game (100 yds and in) work in your putting (5,10,15ft) work on your shots, high, low draws and fades. Don't over swing.
You want to hit further....work on holding the angle of the club through impact as long as you can. Trapping the ball will create more distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.

How can I hit my irons farther? I'm 16 and I hit my 8 iron 150. Is this normal or above or below average? What can I do to hit the ball further? Just wait till I get bigger? Lift more weights? I already lift now, but not real extreme. What are some good exercises and lifts for golf?

I hit my 8-iron 155. You need not be concerned about your distance. Work on accuracy.

I hit my 8i about 140 on a good day. I dont worry distance with my irons just control. I am hitting my irons farther this year than last year. I have just commited it make easy full swings and the ball has been going farther.

Back