How Unconventional Do You Try?

At different times I’ve played with one length irons (which I really liked), a chipper (that I never did get along with), a chunky sand wedge (that worked until I learned to hit a proper sand shot), and a belly putter (that I didn’t belly).

I’m drawn to unconventional stuff by nature...not just in golf. Unfortunately the truly out there stuff is usually either more expensive than I’m willing to tolerate or unavailable to try in local stores.

I used the C3i wedges for a few years as I was learning the game. They worked very well for what they were designed to do. Easy to get up and down from the bunker, hit a flop, or even a full shot from the rough. Issue was the bounce and sole width made it impossible to hit from any dry ground or even fairways.

OL irons, 12* driver, Heavenwood, Cavity back (Rad set) wedges for PW, GW, SW, and planning on trying a 6h here shortly.

For a sand iron, Tour Edge one out, I could never get the hang of that thing. The premise sounds great, get a monster and heavy club head and let it swing.

When playing or testing I try pretty conventional items. I have tested one length irons and hybrid but that is about as unconventional as it got for me and now I don't really consider this unconventional.

I guess it depends on how you define try. I'll hit just about anything I can get my hands on. Especially if it's weird. :LOL:. It doesn't take many to get a decent sense for if it might work for me though. If it might, I get it out on the turf if at all possible and give it a chance. I have my preferences, and my swing definitely appreciates a certain set of traits more than others, but I'm always willing to put some swings on something.

I am open to a wide variety of equipment, if I see a tangible benefit. In my testing, I have tried a good range of options. I am confident I play driver and irons that are about a current optimal fit. I doubt I can do significantly better. Between driver and irons and wedges are areas I might find better options. Putter, I don’t know. I can putt surprisingly well and remarkably terrible from one putt to the next with most anything and keep looking. Nothing is off the table.

We all have types of clubs that you gravitate towards, so when trying new equipment or thinking about purchasing, how far outside the box do you ever test out? In the last couple of weeks we filmed a lot of video from the THP Tech Studio on different clubs and it is always amazing what surprises people. So genuinely curious here.
I try, but it never sticks, always back to a comfort zone. But dammit it’s fun to try!

I could easily go with the one length movement. Used a belly putter for a couple years. Have given armlock a serious consideration.

Gamed an Axis1 Eagle putter for a few years. Other than that, I’m pretty traditional in most of my club selections.

I liked it well enough but moved on to an Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 for a couple more seasons and now a Scotty Squareback 2 which has me putting my best ever.

I'd consider myself fairly conventional. Sure, I'll hit some odd things in a shop just to try it, but usually no intention of throwing it in the bag.

That said, I have been tempted to try OL. Oh, and every time I watch a Stacked Golf video on YouTube I want a Square Strike.

Playing Wishon single length irons 6-Sw, with two single length hybrids, and a single length 5 and seven wood. They have JumboMax grips on them, and I think I will put that on my driver, too.

I will try anything. I dont care how ugly or unconventional it is. If I golf well with it, i'll use it. I don't care what my playing partners might say or think. I'm the kind of guy who's not afraid to put an iron cover on my chipper!

Guess I'm sort of unconventional. Lately seem to be going the opposite direction than most, older clubs in the iron department. Have 3/4 sets of irons and the newest are '02 Big Berthas. Have tried a few sets of delofted irons and just can't hit them. A while back I was hitting balls in the yard and took an old Ping Karsten IV (yard sale) and hit a few and was impressed with it when hit halfway solid. Long story short I came across a set of Karsten I's from the 70's/80's I think, that I was able to trade for. Only have one round with them but was in my normal range score wise. We've been doing some moving go my golf has been sidetracked for a couple of weeks but I did hang on to my mid-nineties Mizuno's just in case. Did pick up a new driver, G410 Plus, so I'm not against new.

I’ve been pretty conventional during my golf days, I cannot think of going crazy on a fad or something outside the norm. Another reason to up here in Canada where I live, retail golf is not as expansive as south of the border where your choices are significantly better and more things to try all different stores. Probably save me a lot of money by having limited options :p

I will give most anything strange a try at the nearby Golf Galaxy. If it looks like it works, I will check it out even further. That said, it has be really, really good for my game for me to purchase it. These day's I'm not in club purchasing frame of mind.

I recently changed my bag up a little in a some what unorthodox way. I dropped my LW to make room for my old TE #2 Ironwood, while keeping my 5W in the bag. The Ironwood, with the lower shot trenectory, is giving me some good roll out. This works well for the summer's firmer, afternoon fairways.

I don't miss the LW, because I can use my AW in it's place, with a little manipulation of the club face, and my stance.

I got fit into a LAB putter & considered it for longer than I'm comfortable admitting. I also used my wife's cavity back Cleveland wedges when I didn't want to go back to my bag, never again.

I played the Cobra F7 OL irons for a couple of years. I think if I did one length irons again I would do one length in the 5-9 irons and variable length in PW-LW if I could work out the gapping. Might also consider playing the PW-LW all the same length but at a shorter length than the 5-9 irons.

Years ago I also played a wide sole(1.62") Maltby Glider sand wedge which is similar to the Cleveland Smart Sole and Callaway Sure Out wedges and it was great out of the bunker but had limited versatility. It came out of the bag after I figured out it was easier for me to get out of a bunker with a traditional 60* wedge than a traditional 56* wedge and it gave me more versatility.

Quoting these three, but so many said similar. That is really my question. You will try anything, but do you? Meaning you go into a store or decide you want new irons. Do you test things that wouldn't normally match up to your conventional style? We always hear "I will use anything if it works". How will you know?
When it comes to golf, I rarely buy anything new; I'll wait until the prices come way down on the used market. But I'll try a friend's new club at the range occasionally. I'll also buy something to try if I'm fairly sure that I'll recoup my money by reselling in the event I don't like it (I did that all the way through my search for a 3-wood; I actually made money on the resells).

As I mentioned before, if I can try out a set of OL irons or an arm-lock putter, I'd definitely be interested. Some of the original Cobra OL irons are reasonably priced now, but the arm-lock putters are still way out of reach.

I always wanted to try the larger of the PING Doc putters - that thing looked like half of a bicycle wheel!

I moved from blade to mallet putter for the first time ever.
Does that count?

Back