How was your progress for 2016 season? For me a bit dissapointing.

How was your progress for 2016 season? For me a bit dissapointing.

• very disapointed

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • somewhat disapointed

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Satsified and/or Ok for the most part

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • very satisifed

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • exceeded expectations

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters
it sounds to me like you have figured out what about this game is important to and enjoyable for you, which is the social aspect. the golf becomes secondary, and time with your bros is what is most important. keep enjoying that, maintain pace with your group, and it doesn't matter how you play as long as you're having fun!

I totally get where your coming from with the above statement. Its from a good place and is surely meant well. But I wont lie nor be lying when I say that for very many people its the golf that is primary. And all the other stuff.....whether social, or nature, etc....whatever the case is secondary. For very many the level of enjoyment is greatly affected by the golf performance. It may still be enjoyable whatever the performance but just how much enjoyable? Can certainly and often be dictated by performance.

I have seen plenty people enjoy the heck out of a day on the course regardless of golf performance and I seen the other way where the player is miserable and never happy at all. But most people imo fall somewhere in between. Most people play this game and while putting time and money and efforts into it want to be better. That's important to very many and the golf itself is primary. There is no right or wrong way about this but its just the truth imo.

I enjoy the nature and the social part of golf as much as anyone and its important. I have such a better time when Im with good people so it makes a difference and also a better time when playing in my preferred weather conditions. Those things make it more fun and enjoyable for sure but my progress and performance weighs on it. Its why I play first and the other stuff is secondary. I mean if Im with poor company or the weather is not to my liking, or the course conditions and nature is less than desirable I still play, why? Because the golf is primary. If the other things were really primary than I wouldn't play in those scenarios. Nothing wrong there but I think that's the way it is for very many players. The golf itself is whats most enjoyable and when its better so is the enjoyment but when its not the enjoyment takes a bit of a hit.

I totally get where your coming from with the above statement. Its from a good place and is surely meant well.

Which is why I said it sounded like he figured out what was enjoyable for him. For me, to enjoy my round I have to play well or at least hit some quality shots. I'd be content to never play another round of golf with anybody, just me alone with the serenity of the course and the madness of this game. I love playing with people, but that's not what I love about golf. I love the challenge and the potential and the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my progress this hear has been very satisfying. I brought my handicap from a high of 19.9 to where it is now at 11.3. I played a lot of golf and still have a lot more to go. I've played with some awesome people, was apart of a winning regional rivalry team and had a blast. This year was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped over 4 points off of my cap, so with the limited amount I'm able to play I'm pretty satisfied.

I'd say satisfied even though I haven't met all my goals for 2016. I managed to drop my HDCP from 25 to 21, but more importantly I found an instructor who has helped me ingrain a more reliable swing and I'm making better contact. A HDCP in the teens is around the corner, I just need to find the time in 2017 to continue to put the work in. That'll be hard with another kiddo coming in a month or so, but I'll figure it out.

Managed - with some serious help from my teammates - to snag a HoF tag at Regional Rivalry, so that definitely eases the pain of not making it into the teens HDCP-wise in 2016.

Work has totally consumed my existence the latter half of the year, and I simply haven't been able to play much golf. Maybe 9 holes a month. My swing went through some huge changes while I just tried to stop coming over the top of the ball.

The funny part is right now I feel like I'm swinging better than ever by playing less golf. Mr. Penick starts off his book by saying if you're told to take some asprin don't take the whole bottle. And by next Summer I'll be off to my next job and duty station where I should be able to play more and better golf.

Well, I started playing again in April after about 10 years away from the game. My highest round was a 109 coming back and my handicap has dropped from a 27.1 to an 18.5 and my most recent score was a 93. Am I shooting what I think I'm capable of? Not yet...but I'm excited about the coming year and assuming I can keep the practice up, I think I can shoot consistently in the 80's next year.

Driver.............. B+
FW woods ....... C+
Long irons ....... C+
Mid irons ........ D
Wedges ......... D
Putter ........... C+
Short game..... D
Attitude.............A+

A little disappointed. My goal this summer was to get my handicap into single digits. I got it as low as 10.2 but due to having to travel too much for work it ended up at 12.4. Started at 14.5 so at least it did improve. Something to keep shooting for.

Driver.............. B+
FW woods ....... C+
Long irons ....... C+
Mid irons ........ D
Wedges ......... D
Putter ........... C+
Short game..... D
Attitude.............A+

As a parent....I must say you might be punished for such a report card...lol, Unless your efforts where plentiful.

I wanted to get down to a 2 or 3 and stay there, but only managed to get down to 3 point something for a couple of weeks and then bounced back up to 4.3 and stayed there.
Maybe next year !

I must say finishing my (2016 in season golf) with a 15.1 HC was certainly a let down for me. More lessons, a lot of practice time, a good amount of rounds played and yet not only did I "not" get back to what was a 12.9 at one point last year, but also finished with a 15.1 to boot. Disappointing to me for sure.

Some lesson time was short game too and while my greenside game saw improvement I still just simply cannot strike good balls well enough for long enough periods of play from tee to green without faltering too greatly.

I've always debated the importance of ball striking in the long and mid range game. I've also received a ton of backlash for insisting its every bit as important as the short game towards ones scores. Even with greenside game improvement there is simply an inability (for me) to repeat good shots from tee to green with enough consistency or at least not enough to score better through more rounds . Surly some rounds when my ball striking was good, my greenside or putting was to blame and has let me down too and Im ok if that sometimes happens but even many more rounds than that where the ball striking from the tee and on in just simply failed too greatly where as even an improved short game couldn't salvage before it was already too late. You just cant be lying 3 or 4 strokes and only then be playing a greenside game. It just doesn't work for scoring better. Your then playing for bogey or double from that point and that doesn't work.. My ball striking (or lack of consistent "good" ball striking) was often to blame.

I am disappointed with my season. As said, I had more lessons, I made even more practice efforts. While my swing is better understood, and my latest lessons proved to offer me a better swing, and when I make the good swing I can play with just about anyone, but I simply struggle to repeat that good swing enough times through an average round and so I cant play with anyone.

I enjoyed most my golf and still do but I admit I am somewhat frustrated after the efforts I made again, the resources of time and money again I put in and yet I ended up worse than last year. I understand lessons can set you back some but by years end I was hoping to finish at least close to that 12.9 I saw last year. Not that I had to beat that but just being close would have felt much better. So yea, I am disappointed.
I'm in the same situation, not sure I'll ever see consistency in my game.....

Dropped my handicap 4 to 5 points, so I'm happy and have played my PB round of all time this year...

Hit the "Somewhat disappointed" because things are beginning to slip. Driver shorter every year, use an 8 iron where I used to use 9 or P, and what was the best part is getting iffy. At least can still putt. Will be 71 in a few weeks so I am truly happy to be able to play because so many can't. Started playing late at 61 and have had several rounds in the 70's so really playing better than I thought I would when I started. Haven't been practicing much the last couple of years so maybe that would help. Even though a little disappointed still enjoy the game as much as ever.

I'm satisfied, figured out how to let golf just happen. Playing better than I have in 20 years. I'm playing irons I didn't think I had game for. I'm putting better than I ever have because I tried a style of putter I always avoided. My wedge plays is a strength in my game when I was once the weakness.

My only regret is I didn't play enough golf with some of my closest people on THP

I will add I'm able to hit a cut shot off the tee! Which has avoided my game for years. 2017 my game will be full of cut shots and spinning wedges.

My season doesn't end, here in Florida, but, for the most part my pursuit of goals has for this year. My goal this year was to get my index back under 10, and, I achieved that, so rated myself as "okay with that". I set specific events, mostly THP ones, to "train" for, and it helped me keep focused. I didn't get into those events, LOL, but, when one filled up, I just used another one as the target. I got it back to 9.6. Lately, I've stopped going to the practice range and the index is climbing as a result. I do expect it to go up a little in the winter months due to playing conditions, etc., though.

I began my season very poorly having made changes in my grip and parts of my swing. I finished last season playing pretty well and I was excited about this season, but I opened up with a bunch of 95+ scores (including a 110 and a 117). I was discouraged, but then I found a groove and began playing well. I got down to as low as a 13.0 index after being as high as a 17.8 index.

Currently, I'm sitting at a 14.4 index with very little golf left in me this year. I figure on playing a handful of times before putting the sticks away until after the holidays. Then, I'll get back into things and get prepared for the 2017 season, but... I need a break.

For the year, I entered 19 tournament events and finished 'in the money' (top 4) in 7 of those, including 2 wins. I hope to play about the same number next season. If I even sniff the same level of success... I'll be happy!

Overall... I'm pleased with my 2016 season, but I know there's room for me to improve come next year.

Worse year by far since I got back into playing in the mid-90's. I normally don't shut it down but after 36 yesterday I'm done for the foreseeable future. Will be in Naples starting Friday night for 10 days and have no intention of playing and will be in Hawaii for the last 2 weeks of December and won't play then as well. Right now I'm intending on taking 60 days off then assessing where my interest level resides.

I managed to keep my index under 10 but barely. I have improved my distance off the tee and am putting better than I ever have so it's been a good year for me to just stay where I am. At my age that's an accomplishment. My new Bettinardi Tour BB8 has been amazing and with my practice everything came together this year.

Having just got back into serious golf this past year I wasn't really expecting much of anything. My goals going into the year were to play more often, and I wanted to break 100. As the season progressed I ended up breaking 100 more often than I ever thought possible for a hack like me, and was consistently shooting in the low to mid 90's. So for that reason I voted Very Satisfied and I'm hopeful that I'll continue to see improvements as we move into next season. Breaking 90 is now my new goal...fingers crossed.

My 2016 season has been incredible. I have posted a couple of rounds in the low 90's, several 80's and many, many 70's but still haven't managed to break 70. Nothing dissimilar to any other year, really.

Why has 2016 been so incredible you ask?

My 8 year old daughter has been bitten by the golf "bug". She wants to play all the time and I absolutely love spending that time with her on the golf course! Looking forward to many more!

I voted "exceeded expectations." Goals for the year were to break 90. By mid summer it looked like I should sell my clubs and starting looking into tennis. i instead focused on targeted practice (not just beating balls) and worked at getting a decent swing. It paid off as breaking 90 now kind of commonplace, had one round in the high 70's. My index has been coming down consistently finishing the season at a 17.9.

next year the bar will be higher. Goal is an index of 10. Going to take some serious work to make it happen....

Took a step forward in some areas and a step back in others so I'm a little disapointed. I barely hit the range this year and that's most likely why.

It wasn't that good to be honest, but it's taken a turn for the better.

Thinking back...it was great! Didn't get to meet as many new friends as I would have liked, or see old friends at multiple events. The little things big and small made it so.

Back