How/when do you decide you're done with lessons?

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
I'm coming up on the end of my 2nd package of lessons, and don't feel I'm where I want to be yet, so I'll probably re-up. I don't know if I'll ever feel 'done' though. So how do you decide you're swing is 'good enough' and don't continue with lessons?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The scorecard is a good yardstick. At some point you have to take charge of your golf education. When it is time...you will know.

Depends on how much I want to improve. I'm currently in a 3 pack and will finish them and then may do single lessons as needed

While I get where 4Regal is coming from in my observation done done usually occurs when a player gives up trying to get better or decides they aren't willing to put in the practice time necessary to apply what the lessons suggest you need to implement.
IMO there is a lot of truth in what 4Regal says, but reaching that point doesn't mean no more lessons forever. Even those of us who have taken charge of our golf education can benefit from another set of trained eyes now and then.

You will never be done with lessons. You may stop taking them but as an amateur, lessons will always be needed. You will get to a point where you've had enough and feel it's time to stop. And that's what you do but only if you have put in the work. And only you know if you put in the work.

Golf lessons teach you how to swing, they do not teach how to play. That is your job to take he swing and make it work and make it help you score. So the score card doesn't matter until you learn how to play the game. Right now you're just learning how to swing the club.

You will never be done with lessons. You may stop taking them but as an amateur, lessons will always be needed. You will get to a point where you've had enough and feel it's time to stop. And that's what you do but only if you have put in the work. And only you know if you put in the work.

Golf lessons teach you how to swing, they do not teach how to play. That is your job to take he swing and make it work and make it help you score. So the score card doesn't matter until you learn how to play the game. Right now you're just learning how to swing the club.
Well said Sir!!!

Well said. I had my first in the early 1970's and a tune up a couple of weeks ago. Even all the world class pro's have teacher's, and they use them often. Lessons are for life.

I always thought it was the coach/teacher that decides when enough is enough :)

Can you ever really be done? I would imagine as you progress, that the goals would just change,

From making contact
To Hitting it Straight
Hitting it Long
Hitting Draws, changing Trajectory
Mental game work
Short game
Putting
Sand work.....

I would imagine as you went through the list, there would always be something that could use a refresher.

I think when you have absorbed as much as you can and then have to groove it. But I expect to have to go back every now and then to clear up any bad habits that I may develop in the future.

As soon as you run out of money lol

Lessons are like a really hot ex that you can't quit - you are never really done you just start going back less frequently.

Personally I think it comes down to when you see what you've worked on somewhat consistently when you play. How long that takes obviously depends on what you're working on. I've been taking lessons for pretty much the entire time I've been in Monterey and the swing changes have stuck but now I'm more interested in course management. I'll likely keep taking lessons until I move next year so I can take advantage of the year round golf and to make sure my game is in good shape. And once I'm settled in MD, I'll find another instructor to work with so I can keep working towards my golf goals. Bottom line: it all comes down to what your end goal is!

Last edited:
I see the best in the world with a coach with them on the range. :D

I may not be in the right frame of reference for a lesson... I may not have the right guy available to give a lesson
But I'll never be "done" ;)

I'm not sure you ever stop learning things about this game. There is always room to improve, always something to work on. "Teaching" yourself IMO is a terrible idea. So I don't think you are ever done and can always learn something if you're willing to work!

Never.

There are many different swing styles/philosophies out there. So, if you already have a decent swing, stay with or find an instructor that doesn't want to completely change your swing (unless it's completely wrong and not working for you). There are many good instructors out there that will take your swing to a better level from where you are without rebuilding everything from the ground up. So, in this case a "checkup" lesson with a qualified instructor from time to time can be helpful. There are also some on-line services available that allows you to submit videos of your swing for evaluation.

Back