How would you play this hole?

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
THP has had and will have many events on courses that a great deal have not played. A lot of golfers like to know the layout ahead of time and often look over holes posted on a courses website to see how to play them. Some courses have pro tips and that can be helpful.

I would like to know how you guys would play particular holes from THP events. Our first event of 2016 is the 'Kickoff classic' on the RTJ Golf trail, Grand National Golf course.

Each day we will post a new hole and would love to hear from you on how you would play it. Maybe we can keep this going all year.

************************************************************************************************

Here we go gents and ladies. We are less then a month away from the #THPKickoffClassic sponsored by Kentwool. I think it's time to start showcasing the courses selected to host this event.

It would be great to see participation from the entire community on how you would play these holes. Who knows I might give you credit when I roll in that Eagle or Albatross.

A link to the course at RTJ can be found in the first post of this thread.

Kicking off with the Lake Course
How do you play this?
e151a68972dd3e84006b8303d3505d68.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it would depend on how far to the left edge of the bunker. If I go right of the bunker, I might go too far right and have a bad line for second shot.

I would aim to hit the meat of the fairway then second shot to the green, then 2-putt for par.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 wood over the bunker and a lob wedge in.

I would be playing the 285 tees.So I would say a nice driver out about 200, and a 9 iron from 80 yards.Knock it 5 feet and 3 putt for a bogey

From the 380 tee, 3 wood down the middle and a 7 iron on the green to 1 ft for a kick in birdie. Now when this plan falls apart like normal I will improvise and try not double bogey the hole!

Relaying a bit of local knowledge number 1 can be two totally different holes depending on how the course is playing. If it is firm and fast I will go hybrid and layup just shy of the fairway bunker but if it happened to be playing soft after a rain it is a 3 wood to the right of the bunker.

when the course if firm and fast as it usually plays a bad bounce can leave you scratching your head with a difficult 2nd from some fairly stout rough, although the rough won't be such an issue in winter.

Depends how I'm driving it that day on the range, the wind, and nerves. I'm assuming the orange tees. Google Earth was no help in finding the exact hole layout so I'd have to use GPS to figure that out when on the tee when it's not my turn.

I'd want yardage to the bunker, yardage to carry it, yardage to the fairway past the bunker in case there's rough between the two, and then how wide the fairway is before going through. Unless the reward for going over that bunker is huge, I'm probably following exactly as the hole recommends: hitting either just short of that bunker or just to the right of it. For a second shot, aim for the correct third and go from there. Hard to tell, but I have a feeling based on that complex that it's got some slope in that green..

Edit: Found it! Roughly 227 to the bunker, 250 to carry it, and 280 to the water. Laying up short of it or hopefully right even with it, have anywhere from 130-165 in.

Short of the bunker, mid iron in, 3-putt = GGG = Golf Ghost Golf.

I'd hit driver and then probably make an 8.

Depends how I'm driving it that day on the range, the wind, and nerves. I'm assuming the orange tees. Google Earth was no help in finding the exact hole layout so I'd have to use GPS to figure that out when on the tee when it's not my turn.

I'd want yardage to the bunker, yardage to carry it, yardage to the fairway past the bunker in case there's rough between the two, and then how wide the fairway is before going through. Unless the reward for going over that bunker is huge, I'm probably following exactly as the hole recommends: hitting either just short of that bunker or just to the right of it. For a second shot, aim for the correct third and go from there. Hard to tell, but I have a feeling based on that complex that it's got some slope in that green..

Edit: Found it! Roughly 227 to the bunker, 250 to carry it, and 280 to the water. Laying up short of it or hopefully right even with it, have anywhere from 130-165 in.

I always smile when my playing partners pull driver on this hole I know I getting at least 2 strokes right off the bat

Driver over the bunker with a bit of hook spin. 2nd shot would depend entirely on what kind of bounce I get from the cart path hahaha

I always smile when my playing partners pull driver on this hole I know I getting at least 2 strokes right off the bat

Oh yeah, want nothing to do with driver on this one. The reward isn't worth the risk by the looks of it, and IMO I'd really just want to find the fairway on this hole more than anything. Bermuda rough over water isn't the best shot choice.

After reading your numbers Wardy, I'd play it exactly like you. Lay up to the right of the bunker and play a short/mid iron in. No sense in dunking it into the drink and it just takes a good 2nd or 3rd shot to get your birdie.

Hybrid just to the right of the bunker, leave probably PW/9I in, then one putt for Birdie #InternetGolfer

Depends on some of the yardages and how the course is playing. A soft course I am probably taking 3 or 5 wood and landing it over the bunker into the upslope assuming the shading is correct in the picture. Firm and fast probably putting it in the front green side bunker from the whites. If the pin is front then I will lay up short of bunker with a hybrid when the course is firm from the other tees and if the pin is back right I am aiming a 5 wood right at bunker and drawing it over left.

Pin back, lay up in front of the bunker. Pin front, play to the right of the bunker

Depending on the tees I'm taking a club that gets me over the trap and short of the water.

For this hole I would first start by taking the water out of play by hitting my tee shot short and left of the bunker to give me a good angle to the hole. For my second shot aim for the middle of the green to be able to have a good shot a birdie.

I'd pick a club that I know wouldn't get to the first bunker. If it's 225 them I'm probably taking my 4H and aiming at the fairway. Then a mid iron into the green from there.

Surprised so many people are laying back of the first bunker with the green being as difficult to hit as it is.

In the picture it also appears the lip isn't an issue on the first fairway bunker and the green is slightly elevated and appears to be flat or slight sloping away from you if that changes peoples mind.

Thought I should bring this post over from the other thread. Liking this idea.

"Play your tee shot short."? I got dat shot :act-up:. Depending on pin location, the second here fits my cut shot. I would play to the 150 or under yardage and play to my strength on the second.

JM

Whatever the distance is to the front of that bunker that's what I'll play. Aim middle left of the bunker to accommodate for my miss. Second shot would be to middle/left of the green. Try to two putt and get out without any damage

Most likely a 3 wood over the bunker on the left and then a wedge in.

Back