Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you really have doves down there. We have them up here too, but they're a little more hit and miss. One time, I was heading into a farm that abuts m.y buddy's property that we had permission to hunt to do some early bowhunting for whitetails. The doves were everywhere! So I told my buddy about it, and the next morning we set out for the lower cornfield. No doves! We walk back to his house, and there's about a hundred of them perched on the telephone and electric wires in front of the place! It's like they were mocking us on purpose!
Trust me when I say it takes a lot of time and money to have good shoots like we have. We have 5 different sunflower fields planted just for dove hunting. This is a picture of my field back in June
8A63B4F4-46A9-41F8-8B02-14B19526AA3D.jpeg

Don't think I will be able to get out for dove season this year so thanks to all for posting the pics. Looking like a good year so far. I am starting to prep for our yearly pheasant hunt in South Dakota. Hoping that the early reports aren't right and that there are birds.

We plant multiple sunflower fields each year just for dove hunting

Yes it was. But we got it done and we fried well over 100 tonight.

You are one of the few I know who fry the dove breasts. And, in my opinion, that’s the best way to cook dove, hands down! As an added bonus, you don’t have to spend hours wrapping them with jalapeños, cream cheese, and bacon.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B9769DF4-9BFA-4F07-9538-9D78CE984D15.jpeg
230 more yesterday afternoon. Probably the last shoot we have until thanksgiving

Attachments

• F51D207C-C687-4E48-BA5F-486A40A1027B.jpeg
    F51D207C-C687-4E48-BA5F-486A40A1027B.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 7
Man, what do you fellas spend on shot shells? :eek:

I've probably posted this before but it's one of my favorite pics of Whip. He's wound tighter than a spring right now. It's his 6th season coming up so he's right at his prime....these cool nights have him constantly wanting to get into the truck. He'll sit in there all day if I let him. He knows it's the thing that gets him to the birds!

HTRmtSq.jpg

Man, what do you fellas spend on shot shells? :eek:
Shells right now are crazy expensive. Assuming you can even find any during this pandemic smh

I've probably posted this before but it's one of my favorite pics of Whip. He's wound tighter than a spring right now. It's his 6th season coming up so he's right at his prime....these cool nights have him constantly wanting to get into the truck. He'll sit in there all day if I let him. He knows it's the thing that gets him to the birds!

HTRmtSq.jpg

When my buddy was laid up after a fall from a tree stand, his GSP hunter, Abigail, knew that it was pheasant season. She would whine and mope around the house. His wife suggested to me that I take her out hunting. I had been hunting many times with Abby, we got along, so I did.

She was very well behaved on the ride to the club. When we set out, she hunted in her standard, methodical way. She wasn't a big ranging dog, unless there was another dog there, and competition was introduced.

She bumped the first bird in a leaned over sorghum field. I heard the cackle and spotted the bird going up. It was kind of a long shot, and I can tell you that I felt the pressure! I wanted to get a bird for that dog! I made a great shot, the bird came straight down, and here comes Abby with the bird in her mouth running toward me. The thing is, she stopped about 10 yards away with a confused look on her face, and looking around. I could tell that she was looking for her master. She would only retrieve to Bruce.

I tried calling her to me, but no go. So, I tried something else. I simply said, "Abby, sit!" She sat with the bird in her mouth, and I slowly walked up to her, talking quietly all the while to calm her. She seemed to be stressing out over not seeing her master. This was a pattern of behavior that did not fit her profile. I laid my gun down, petted her shoulder, and told her that Bruce was not there, Bruce was at home. If she wanted to show him the bird, she had to give it to me. That was Bruce's command. Give. I said it twice, and the second time Abby opened her mouth and let the bird fall into my hand! I got chills!

Now, it tried to snatch the bird from my hand before I could get it into my game bag, but dogs will do that! And I managed to shoot a second for her that day. I took her out hunting every remaining weekend of pheasant after that. First of all, it is pure joy to hunt with a good dog. Second of all, it keeps the dog happy and satisfied. Think about it. For a "bird" dpg, hunting birds is the sole reason for its existence! imagine how you would feel if that possibility was removed from you life.

When we got back, I thanked my buddy's wife for the suggestion. and I told her that I would take Abby out every weekend after that. It was no burden. We wound up with lots of pheasant to eat!

When my buddy was laid up after a fall from a tree stand, his GSP hunter, Abigail, knew that it was pheasant season. She would whine and mope around the house. His wife suggested to me that I take her out hunting. I had been hunting many times with Abby, we got along, so I did.

She was very well behaved on the ride to the club. When we set out, she hunted in her standard, methodical way. She wasn't a big ranging dog, unless there was another dog there, and competition was introduced.

She bumped the first bird in a leaned over sorghum field. I heard the cackle and spotted the bird going up. It was kind of a long shot, and I can tell you that I felt the pressure! I wanted to get a bird for that dog! I made a great shot, the bird came straight down, and here comes Abby with the bird in her mouth running toward me. The thing is, she stopped about 10 yards away with a confused look on her face, and looking around. I could tell that she was looking for her master. She would only retrieve to Bruce.

I tried calling her to me, but no go. So, I tried something else. I simply said, "Abby, sit!" She sat with the bird in her mouth, and I slowly walked up to her, talking quietly all the while to calm her. She seemed to be stressing out over not seeing her master. This was a pattern of behavior that did not fit her profile. I laid my gun down, petted her shoulder, and told her that Bruce was not there, Bruce was at home. If she wanted to show him the bird, she had to give it to me. That was Bruce's command. Give. I said it twice, and the second time Abby opened her mouth and let the bird fall into my hand! I got chills!

Now, it tried to snatch the bird from my hand before I could get it into my game bag, but dogs will do that! And I managed to shoot a second for her that day. I took her out hunting every remaining weekend of pheasant after that. First of all, it is pure joy to hunt with a good dog. Second of all, it keeps the dog happy and satisfied. Think about it. For a "bird" dpg, hunting birds is the sole reason for its existence! imagine how you would feel if that possibility was removed from you life.

When we got back, I thanked my buddy's wife for the suggestion. and I told her that I would take Abby out every weekend after that. It was no burden. We wound up with lots of pheasant to eat!

Great stuff, thanks for posting and I hope Bruce recovers....and uses a harness next time!

Yeah, not only do bird dogs need to hunt, what you think every dog who plays with a squeak toy is doing? They're enjoying the painful screams of the critter they're killing!

Phone call:
"Hey, I fell out of my stand and I'm hanging upside down by my harness, I need help."
"Where's your stand?"
"...nevermind."

Phone call:
"Hey, I fell out of my stand and I'm hanging upside down by my harness, I need help."
"Where's your stand?"
"...nevermind."

haha. Exactly

Got a doe for the Wisconsin archery opener!

Running low on venison bacon so needed to restock!

Great stuff, thanks for posting and I hope Bruce recovers....and uses a harness next time!

Yeah, not only do bird dogs need to hunt, what you think every dog who plays with a squeak toy is doing? They're enjoying the painful screams of the critter they're killing!

Oh yeah. He's recovered and pheasant hunts with us. But he hunts out of a ground blind these days. He doesn't go up in the air any more!

BBF78535-ABCB-4768-9B98-375F4F729D8F.jpeg
My little boy turns 4 in December. Weather was finally cool enough where he could stay and hunt with me all afternoon. We had a blast

Attachments

• CF871C88-7A2B-4B1C-BF36-2F900BFFD21D.jpeg
    CF871C88-7A2B-4B1C-BF36-2F900BFFD21D.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 11
Whip knows what the fall weather brings. All he's wanted to do for the past month is sit in my truck waiting to go for birds.

The day finally came yesterday!

2PvyJb5.jpg

I've waited 2 years for this Monday to come. I'm hunting in Illinois from Monday-Thursday. Buddy has been seeing some good bucks on camera, so just need this colder weather and the rut to get one to step in the food plot during shooting hours.

Dear 8 pound baby Jesus 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
3B2E0DD8-C693-46FF-9A88-596315D296AE.jpegF4DA0977-423F-451B-A4AC-C36C5E09641C.jpeg25C28FED-89E1-46ED-BBDC-9B9309D8BF7B.jpeg55C49C9D-851E-43A0-B753-12D8F0A4CF7B.jpeg

Man they grow them big out your way. :eek:

Does he have any daytime photos? It's not uncommon that deer get that big being extremely nocturnal.

Best of luck. Would love to see a pic with him, you and some blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back