Hunting - (Warning graphic photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend was opening weekend for rifle here in VA and got a decent buck at 155 yards. Having some custom meat processed from it. Always nice to get fresh venison in the freezer. View attachment 8974541

Nicely done! I let one about that size walk. I'm waiting for his father to come back. I saw him at dusk the other night, but it was too dark for a good shot. I didn't want to wound him. He's at least 10 pts (y)

nice buck! Congrats
Thank you!
Nicely done! I let one about that size walk. I'm waiting for his father to come back. I saw him at dusk the other night, but it was too dark for a good shot. I didn't want to wound him. He's at least 10 pts (y)
I certainly understand that. We've had some big bucks over the years but they are in the process of developing the land so this will be my last year hunting it. I was trying to get a big doe that I've seen a few times but all the people working changed all the patterns. I wanted an early one to send up to PA to get custom meat made and he was the biggest deer I saw. It also seems like the rut is just starting up there.. Saw very little chasing.
Nice, congrats. Our rifle doesn't start until after Thanksgiving
I wish our seasons were a little later as the rut is way after bow season which makes it tougher for bow hunters.

Thank you!

I certainly understand that. We've had some big bucks over the years but they are in the process of developing the land so this will be my last year hunting it. I was trying to get a big doe that I've seen a few times but all the people working changed all the patterns. I wanted an early one to send up to PA to get custom meat made and he was the biggest deer I saw. It also seems like the rut is just starting up there.. Saw very little chasing.

I wish our seasons were a little later as the rut is way after bow season which makes it tougher for bow hunters.

What do you have made?

my wife and I love venison bacon and hotdogs

What do you have made?

my wife and I love venison bacon and hotdogs
We get the jalapeño & cheese polish sausage (hotdogs), the regular cheese polish sausage (hotdogs), and the venison bacon bologna. It is fantastic

Oh yeah ... you were supposed to invite me to hunt somewhere with you this year anyway :eek: what happened with that? :unsure:

I will admit that it has been a about 20 years since I got my last deer....but that is by choice. I don't like the taste of venison, so I see no need to kill a doe or small buck. for me if it isn't a wall hanger then I let it go. I have passed on several small 6 and 8 point bucks but I am starting to get a little itchy wanting to take a buck this year, 20 years is a long time....we will see.

Congratulations! I don't see any blood...did you scare it to death?
I took the picture so that it wasn't too gory. I was shooting downhill and the bullet entered the opposite side of the deer and went down through the lung and heart and exited low on the underside of the body. If I took the picture from the opposite angle it would be much bloodier.
Oh yeah ... you were supposed to invite me to hunt somewhere with you this year anyway :eek: what happened with that? :unsure:
My father in law happened. Not letting anyone but family hunt there anymore. :mad:
I will admit that it has been a about 20 years since I got my last deer....but that is by choice. I don't like the taste of venison, so I see no need to kill a doe or small buck. for me if it isn't a wall hanger then I let it go. I have passed on several small 6 and 8 point bucks but I am starting to get a little itchy wanting to take a buck this year, 20 years is a long time....we will see.
I only shoot what I'm going to eat. I will happily shoot a doe with a bigger body than a smaller buck with a large rack. Big antlers are nice but you can't eat them.

Envious of you guys with good Deer opportunities. I've only shot a few does over the years. Luckily, my setter is the envy of my gun club but I sure do love venison.

I've never shot a buck so I'd probably have a spike mounted!

I took the picture so that it wasn't too gory. I was shooting downhill and the bullet entered the opposite side of the deer and went down through the lung and heart and exited low on the underside of the body. If I took the picture from the opposite angle it would be much bloodier.

My father in law happened. Not letting anyone but family hunt there anymore. :mad:

I only shoot what I'm going to eat. I will happily shoot a doe with a bigger body than a smaller buck with a large rack. Big antlers are nice but you can't eat them.
WAIT!! I thought Vijay was eating deer antler a couple years ago??

did some scouting on Monday and man I didn't realize how out of shape I was. 2 miles in and i was dying. pulled a muscle in my groin and had to lump back to the car.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

did some scouting on Monday and man I didn't realize how out of shape I was. 2 miles in and i was dying. pulled a muscle in my groin and had to lump back to the car.(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)
The annual pain that many of us feel as our expectations are dashed by reality... though golf should probably have us more accustomed to that feeling.

HUH?! You tell me that, I will tell you that you are cooking it wrong!

I Probably am. I have tried ground meat, sausage, steaks (thick and thin)....all of them were gamey to me.
If you overcook venison at all it gets dry and very gamey. If you use a vinegar based marinade it helps break it down and I cook the steaks medium rare. With the tenderloins you can wrap them in bacon and it pulls that fat in and stays juicy. With ground venison I always grind in beef fat or bacon fat as without added fat ground venison is hard to use (way too lean).

If you overcook venison at all it gets dry and very gamey. If you use a vinegar based marinade it helps break it down and I cook the steaks medium rare. With the tenderloins you can wrap them in bacon and it pulls that fat in and stays juicy. With ground venison I always grind in beef fat or bacon fat as without added fat ground venison is hard to use (way too lean).
I was having this very discussion with guys on Saturday who thought venison was gamey. It’s all about the preparation!

Finally ..... one for the freezer !

Deer_2020.jpg

& go the Spoils! (y) Tenderloin is marinating

Deer_Meat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back