I don't want to swing "smooth" though...

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This concept of "smooth" swing is something I see iterated over and over not only within the THP community but teaching videos alike. I've been following the UST Mamiya DART V TSPX Iron Shaft Review thread mainly because two guys I know...know their stuff in Jman and OldandStiff in particular are reviewing these shafts. And I guess I'm just not sure what it means to be "smooth" anymore and how it relates to "tempo" and "transition". All these buzz words we use?

And after reading both of their comprehensive views it's just really got me thinking on what it means to "swing smooth". I'm really really struggling with a THIN iron shot. I'm talking 50% of irons are thinned and I just can't get down on the ball. When I'm on the range I can slow my tempo down and make some compression happen, but the reality of it is I don't want to have to THINK about slowing my tempo down. My driver and 5 wood has never been better and with those two clubs I'm never thinking about slowing my tempo. I'm just naturally swinging in my natural tempo, so I have to believe there is a shaft out there that fits better with my natural tempo.

But it's tough to try different shafts for the obvious reason, even at a Club Champion the heavy graphite options just weren't prevalent, so I'm trying to decipher what is different in the shaft feel with my driver and 5 wood that I don't have in my irons. I'd say I've a middle of the road tempo, but I do have a fast transition. I do not like that hesitation at the top of my swing, I understand to some extent it has to be there to begin the rotation wtih your legs and hips, but how would you guys describe "smooth" swing, is what I'm describing an aggressive transition? I don't even know what "transition" really means?

What kind of shaft do you have in your driver? What have you tried in irons?

Here's how I would describe a "smooth" golf swing - and don't confuse "smooth" with "slow", because Nelly ain't swinging slow:

I’m not smooth. I swing like a bat out of hell. That’s why I fit into the shaft I do. Club fitting should optimize what you bring to the table.

When I think smooth and transition, I’m thinking of the part of my swing from the top of my up swing to the start of my down swing. If I’m fast, I become violent with that down swing and it just amplifies it for me. Some can handle it, and I’m willing to bet the shaft has a lot to do with it.

I’m not an expert on the matter of either swing, tempo, or shafts, but what I do know is when I try to hit the ball hard, that transition from into the down swing is out of wack and it messes me up some kind of bad.

I’ve found that the concept of “smooth” allows me to swing harder. For the longest - and I still get caught in this - I swung fast, not always hard. I’m playing best when I really get that little thump. I’ve implemented a little pause at the top of my swing this year and it has really helped. It helps me capture that idea of tempo.

I guess it’s just a little different for us all. The whole swing your swing thing, right? My swing has always had too many moving parts. That has led to some sequencing issues. Keeping tempo in mind has really helped with some of those issues.

thined iron shots ain't the shaft

When I think smooth and transition, I’m thinking of the part of my swing from the top of my up swing to the start of my down swing. If I’m fast, I become violent with that down swing and it just amplifies it for me. Some can handle it, and I’m willing to bet the shaft has a lot to do with it.

I’m not an expert on the matter of either swing, tempo, or shafts, but what I do know is when I try to hit the ball hard, that transition from into the down swing is out of wack and it messes me up some kind of bad.
I think I was here until I've got better this season. I'm still a mid capper through and through sitting around 14.5 right now, but I can flirt with breaking 80 which a year ago seemed IMPOSSIBLE. I have no doubt some of it is absolutely mechanics, but the fact that my driver and 5W are just so much better than my irons is where I've started to really look at how the shaft is fitting my tempo. I realize they are different clubs, but it's not like the 5W is exactly an EASY club to hit and it's just so rare I thin a 5 wood.

thined iron shots ain't the shaft
That's not at all what I'm suggesting. I'm sure my mechanics aren't perfect, but literally no one on this forum that posts regularly has perfect mechanics or they'd be considered a pro. I almost NEVER hit the bottom of my 5 wood or driver. Go read the thread I posted above. Oldandstiff is off a...1 handicap or something really good and he describes how he struggled with thins with a shaft that doesn't appear to fit him very well. I'm paraphrasing ALOT there, but...

I’ve found that the concept of “smooth” allows me to swing harder. For the longest - and I still get caught in this - I swung fast, not always hard. I’m playing best when I really get that little thump. I’ve implemented a little pause at the top of my swing this year and it has really helped. It helps me capture that idea of tempo.

I guess it’s just a little different for us all. The whole swing your swing thing, right? My swing has always had too many moving parts. That has led to some sequencing issues. Keeping tempo in mind has really helped with some of those issues.
Yea and I guess I hear what your saying, but I don't think about that tempo, I don't think about that pause, I don't think about anything except "don't sway" when hitting my driver or 5wood and hit them pretty consistent these days. Sure I have a slice every now and then like we almost all do, but overall I'm putting alot of drivers and 5woods in play, irons I just have literally no confidence. I guess I'm trying to figure out in this thread if people are thinking about changing their "tempo" or "transition" when they move from driver and wood to irons? Is that at thing people are doing?

I think I was here until I've got better this season. I'm still a mid capper through and through sitting around 14.5 right now, but I can flirt with breaking 80 which a year ago seemed IMPOSSIBLE. I have no doubt some of it is absolutely mechanics, but the fact that my driver and 5W are just so much better than my irons is where I've started to really look at how the shaft is fitting my tempo. I realize they are different clubs, but it's not like the 5W is exactly an EASY club to hit and it's just so rare I thin a 5 wood.
We’re in the same boat, but in different places :D I’m good with the irons, but the driver and 5w are my struggle with tempo.

We’re in the same boat, but in different places :D I’m good with the irons, but the driver and 5w are my struggle with tempo.
Yea...and that's where I struggle with the concept. Should it be that way? Should you be having to actively think about your tempo when swinging different sets of clubs or is that equipment that were just not good enough at our handicaps to really conceptualize? I don't know?

I don't try to swing smooth. I like the feeling of a very active and determined change of direction. Smooth feels terrible for me, at least what I feel as smooth.

Yea and I guess I hear what your saying, but I don't think about that tempo, I don't think about that pause, I don't think about anything except "don't sway" when hitting my driver or 5wood and hit them pretty consistent these days. Sure I have a slice every now and then like we almost all do, but overall I'm putting alot of drivers and 5woods in play, irons I just have literally no confidence. I guess I'm trying to figure out in this thread if people are thinking about changing their "tempo" or "transition" when they move from driver and wood to irons? Is that at thing people are doing?
I don't. I try to be equally violent.

Yea...and that's where I struggle with the concept. Should it be that way? Should you be having to actively think about your tempo when swinging different sets of clubs or is that equipment that were just not good enough at our handicaps to really conceptualize? I don't know?
Yes? I think it’s the notion that I have a wood in my hands and I need to pipe one down the fairway as long as I can. I’m pretty sure mine is a swing issue and not an equipment problem.

I maintain the same general thought no matter the club.

I think a synonym for smooth would be controlled. Max Homa and Nelly Korda have some of the smoothest swings in the professional game but they’re still swinging hard. There’s also guys/gals out there swinging smooth with a 70mph clubhead speed

I usually focus more on my tempo with my longer clubs. It’s easy for me to start thinking more of smashing the ball with driver or 3 wood in my hands or steering it to shave a couple yards… as if I’m good enough to do that. With irons I have more options so I don’t always have that feeling of needing to power the club or shave some yardage.

I try to think of swinging smooth as not forcing power and letting the speed come naturally. Previously I equated smooth with slowing down and it hurt my game. Forcing power also hurt my game. I figured maybe meet in the middle and don’t be so extreme. I’m getting there but it’s hard to remember to just let it happen when I’m looking at a wide open fairway.

And after reading both of their comprehensive views it's just really got me thinking on what it means to "swing smooth". I'm really really struggling with a THIN iron shot. I'm talking 50% of irons are thinned and I just can't get down on the ball. When I'm on the range I can slow my tempo down and make some compression happen, but the reality of it is I don't want to have to THINK about slowing my tempo down. My driver and 5 wood has never been better and with those two clubs I'm never thinking about slowing my tempo. I'm just naturally swinging in my natural tempo, so I have to believe there is a shaft out there that fits better with my natural tempo.
As far as hitting it thin, I don’t think tempo or shafts is going to make a difference. I’ve been hitting it thin, sometimes to the extreme. This video helped me.

Smooth doesn’t automatically mean slow or non aggressive, it means in control and efficient. Typically producing WAY more speed than swinging “hard”.

even when i feel like i’m going after it most people think i look smooth. it’s just the nature of my move.

i don’t necessarily think your transition is the cause of low point issues. but if the shaft is not a good fit to your transition it could certainly lead to issues.

For me I think about slowing down my back swing. When my back swing is too quick I get out of sequence and wind up slower than when I get fast. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Smooth doesn’t automatically mean slow or non aggressive, it means in control and efficient. Typically producing WAY more speed than swinging “hard”.
Yes! This is what I was trying to say in so many extra words. Maybe I need to tell myself “controlled and efficient” before I swing. That really resonates and it’s a quick reminder.

I think people either swing "fast" or "smooth".. And I assign that designation to their back swing and us it either jerky (fast) or smooth?

If my backswing is not smooth / deliberate and gets too fast, things go wrong.. Now, I swing at the ball and use my legs as much as possible on the downswing. But it won't go well if I allow my backswing to get myself in the right position.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Back