I may be changing my club membership very soon

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been a member at a local course for about 6 years now. When I first joined, they had just redone the greens to TIFF Bermuda and it was known to have the best greens in the area. It's not a difficult course, but it is walker friendly and there was a good group of walkers that met every weekend and we had a lot of fun.

Fast forward a few years, and while the greens are still in decent shape, the rest of the course has went way downhill. It was never a ritzy country club type course, but it was in good shape. Because the course is walker friendly, there are very few cart paths, they are typically around the greens and tee boxes and that is about it. For the past 2 years, they have not overseeded the fairways in the winter, and we get a lot of rain in the winter. There is no control over where the carts go on the course, so there are no fairways left on many holes because of it. Last year, they lost their large water pump, so they could not water the fairways enough and pretty much only watered the greens to protect them. There are a few spots where drainage has become a problem and again, with no control over where the carts go, it's turned into a muddy, rutted mess. One green has become overrun with another type of grass, and seems to get worse every time I play there. We have instituted a 2 putt rule on that green because there is no way to putt on it.

I am good friends with one of the ladies that works there, and I asked her what the deal was, and she said that the owner was caught up in a lawsuit due to some bad land deals, which is affecting the amount of money that can be put into the course. They have cut their staff down to one full-time greenskeeper and one teenager that helps out a little part time. I don't care how hard he works, there's no way that one guy can take care of over 7000 yards of golf course appropriately. I've noticed that our large group that used to walk every weekend has dwindled away, to where most of the time it's just me and another guy, and he's talking about leaving as well if they don't start putting some work into getting some fairways back.

So now I'm stuck. I like the location of this course and the guys that I play golf with out there, it's about 2 miles from the house, but I can't justify paying money to a course that's consistently getting worse. I could actually pay less money to join the military courses right across the street from my work, and while they used to be really crappy courses, they've put a lot of time and money into them to the point that they're actually better than my home course. The one right across the street from my work is around $700 a year and it's a Donald Ross design.

One course is proving they don't your money and others are proving they want it. Maybe it is time to give them both what they want.

No way would I ever pay to be at a course like that. I would be looking elsewhere if I knew my money wasn't going back into the course.

It's time to move on I think. Your paying for some quality golf time but are lacking the quality.

Can you talk with the owner directly? I'd be a bit bummed that something I'd invested in had gone downhill like that.

Can you talk with the owner directly? I'd be a bit bummed that something I'd invested in had gone downhill like that.
The owner knows. He plays golf there every weekend as well. The problem is that he's been sued for about $8 million and probably has no money to put into the course. Sorry, but your bad business decisions aren't going to affect my enjoyment on the course that I'm paying good money for.

The owner knows. He plays golf there every weekend as well. The problem is that he's been sued for about $8 million and probably has no money to put into the course. Sorry, but your bad business decisions aren't going to affect my enjoyment on the course that I'm paying good money for.

You have your answer right there. No reason to waste your money and time there if it is frustrating.

I agree, it sounds like there is only one logical choice. The Donald Ross course it is.

Sounds like it's time to move on, sucks about your walking buddies dwindling away.

Yeah, forget that.

To me this comes down to a moral debate. Support the course you know and used to love, and hope they start doing better upkeep, or go to another course and try the "greener grass". personally i am in this to as my home course has quit doing a lot of maintenance lately and there are many around i could go to. but i do try to support the local and give them a chance. Could it be they are just waiting for better weather to improve the course? Or have they been neglecting it for awhile?

edit: just looked at your state......sorry to hear this, and yes maybe time to look for a new home course.

I agree with everyone here.

And the thought you can join any course let alone a Donald Ross one for $700 a year, has me very envious and thinking, I'm living in the wrong area.

I agree with everyone here.

And the thought you can join any course let alone a Donald Ross one for $700 a year, has me very envious and thinking, I'm living in the wrong area.
It's a military course, so it's cheap for retirees.

Sounds like the Ross course is a better option right now. Why not ask your group if they would want to change their membership as well?

I'd be done with that place...sounds like outside of being close to ur house there is 0 benefit now

Sounds like it's time to get the heck out of there. Muddy fairways alone is ridiculous. Golf is too expensive and time consuming to be wasted on a goat track like that IMO.

Make the change! Maybe even try to recruit your friends in to joining the new one with you.

It's so disappointing. 2 years ago it was one of the best courses in the area. Another advantage that the course by my work has is that there's no restrictions on walking. My current course will not let you walk until after 1 on the weekends.

Now I just need to find the $700 to start my membership.....

Like others have said, I think the decision is being made for you. I would be wary of belonging to a country club whose owner is having finanical issues and it sounds like you have other courses in your area that are on solid ground.

Had a similar dilemma a few years ago. Looking back, leaving was the best thing that ever happened. Wish I could still play with those that I used to, but the new people I have met pared with a course that I truly enjoy... priceless.

I agree with you. I would refuse to pay money to play a course that was continually getting worse. Have fun on that Ross design! haha

I agree with you. I would refuse to pay money to play a course that was continually getting worse. Have fun on that Ross design! haha
The one I'm thinking about joining isn't the one we played. I wouldn't pay for a membership there either. This one is a lot longer and tougher but has similar greens. 410 yard par 4s and 600 yard par 5s from the middle tees combined with typical Ross greens. If that doesn't make me a better player, nothing will.

Talked to a buddy of mine who is a member at Pinehurst and he said that they have a saying when they play: FDR.

Back