I need some input. Going to sound very weird.

PuttForTheWIN

Reaction score
Handicap
-
Basically i have been advised to quit my job and focus on golf full time for 3 months which i have started today.
My coach has said i am very talented and could make a career in golf which is nice to hear. My training program is as follows i have to play a minimum of 5 hours of everyday accept weekends. 1st i start at the range 2nd Chipping and then play the little academy course.

Heres what i don't understand i have only been playing for 6months and i don't have a handicap but i don't know where to go from here i am 22 years old and i love golf and want to play for a living i feel like i am miles behind where i need to be because must tour pros turned pro at my age. I am sorry for the rant but i really don't see what my golf pro sees in me as a player. I know im incredibly lucky and i am thankful for the opportunity but is it wildly unrealistic for me to want to become a tour pro?

My golf pro has also coached european tour players and his son is a european tour player and has also been an amateur world champion.

Not crazy at all. if you have the game,money and time then pursue your dream. It won't be easy I'm sure but dedicate yourself and see where it takes you. I believe Ian Poulter turned pro off of a 4 HC. So it can be done. Good luck to you!!!

Go with it. Life is too short for what if's.

You wouldn't be the first to gain success in golf later in life compared to others. I say, go for it!!

Livin' the dream! I say go for it. It's never too late to start. As long as you can afford the travel and entry fees on the mini-tours, and hopefully play in some web.com qualifiers you can go far. Age makes no difference in regards to how hard you're willing to work.

Always pulling for the late bloomer...

I wish I'd followed my passion at a young age instead of chasing $$. Go for it dude. You can always work

Thank you for all the messages! it means a lot ill be sure to put 110% in

Larry Nelson didn't pick up a club until his discharge from the Army, I'm guessing he was around 21 years old. At age 26, he was on the PGA tour and became a major winner. Since I assume that you are single and no one is dependent on you except yourself, it's just my nature to say pursue your dream. What I would suggest is that when you and your coach think you are ready, as soon as feasible, enter some top shelf amateur tournaments-venues that will provide points for amateur standing. If the tour is in your future, at some point, I think you should be winning these amateur events or at least finishing high. I see you have a swing coach, maybe you might consider a mental coach as well. There are a lot of great golfers that don't make it because of the 6 inches or so between their ears. As you progress, you might consider a physical trainer as well. You hear a lot of pro golfers talking about and crediting their team. Hopefully at some point you will find some sponsors willing to support and help you down your path.

Last edited:
The world with its real life expectations and demands isn't going anywhere. There's nothing worse in life than a missed opportunity. I say go for it. If you decide to go for it then REALLY go for it. Do not half ass this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it!

Man I wish someone would tell me that.... instead of "don't quit your day job".

You are young and talented form the sounds of it. GO FOR IT! Life will always be waiting.

Good luck in your journey, can't wait to follow along and see how you develop and progress.

Go for it!

Man I wish someone would tell me that.... instead of "don't quit your day job".

I firmly believe in having a job before quitting a job, but you're about as close as I'd come to telling someone to just quit their job.

Go west young man!

Seriously, you're young and unless you are quitting a job that you can't get again then why not roll the dice? Hell, it is only a 3 month commitment.

That sounds very cool.
How cool would it be if THP eventually sponsored you and you would be broadcasting THP to the world!

Just about everyone on this forum given the time, talent and money would have quit their job at 22 yrs old to do what you're doing.

If you have the ability to do it, go for it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Honestly, those hours sound short to me. I would expect 8-10 hours on weekdays and probably still some on the weekends.

But if you can afford it, definitely go for it. Some days I wish I would have tried to make it on mini tours. It would be nice to know, without a doubt, that I made the correct decision. But I'll never know.

All of the above said - here is a little reality. What is your handicap as an amateur? I used to play nearly every day with a young man who was a high school All-American, who at 19 was a genuine +4 handicap. I was playing to a 0 to +1 handicap, and I beat him ONE TIME in a year. The difference of a couple of handicap strokes at the plus level is HUGE. He went to play the mini-tours, and was cashing in most tournaments, but it turned out he hated the travel - he was a homebody. He had the game to make it, but not the desire to do the traveling it takes.

So here is the thing - you have to play every tournament you can get into, and learn to cope with the pressures of competition - having a good game is not all it takes. You need the experience of contending and winning at every level you play. I wish you had mentioned your handicap and tournament record/experience, but if a teacher as well-placed as you say tells you he thinks you have the game, he is likely right enough for you to give it a big go. Best of luck!

I guess what you need to think about is how much time you will give yourself to prove that you really can play.

I'll be the killjoy here. Out of one Tiger Woods there are thousands who didn't quite make it. It takes not only talent, but luck and a lot of hard work also.

It's nice to hear from another person how good you are, but in the end give yourself some goals and see if you can accomplish them at your given time frame.

Unfortunately, we don't hear about those who didn't make it. Well, we do, a bit. See ty Tryon, hank kuehne.

Still, good luck and keep at it. See Fred funk and Ian Poulter for inspiration. And there's this brother team who did trick shots in YouTube, and they'll be on the PGA tour next year. I forgot their names.

Play on.

3 months sure seems like a very short amount of time to get ready for professional level competition, but that's just my own uneducated (meaning I've never seen you play or your swing) opinion. Having said that I do wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to fulfill your dreams.

I'll be very honest I have been around some of the best in the world from a teaching stand point to a playing stand point. I've seen guys shoot 66 like it breathing. Come tournament time they can't break 76. I've see guys huddle together in a tiny apartment to save dollars and fail when it came time to play for dollars.

At 6 months I'm not sure what he is seeing but I can say 3 months of none stop won't make a dent in what you are trying to do. A lot of great players try it and fail. It's a grind, daily from sun up to sun down 7 days a week. And this is when you have the talent to play and aren't learn how to swing. The best player in the world my never make it back and he has been playing at the highest level for 35+ years.

Chasing your dream and every other golfer that held a club is great but there is so much to consider before you go down that road.

Assuming you are not quitting a great job you can't get back then why not. Better to say oh well I tried then not try

Get more than one person's opinion

Back