"I shot 75" - but did you really?

I play with a guy like this pretty often. I dont mind that he fudges his scores, but I wont invite him to any of my money matches. He claims to be an 11, but its definitely closer to 20. Just the other day, we were playing and we had to quit after 16 holes due to darkness and a strong thunder shower. His comment was,

"Shame we have to quit, I was playing pretty well. I was only 8 over!".

My response was, "Really? I had you for a 48 on the front 9."

He went speechless. Lol

Why would you let it bother you, unless maybe he was being an a$$ as well? What someone else shot doesn't matter.
I'd rather enjoy a nice solo practice session on the range and let him do his thing. If he wasn't being rude I'd probably stay but I couple the two as being closely related.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think I would have a hard time not cracking a joke his way by the end of the round about his counting style.

I don't really care what other people think they shoot or how they want to score themselves, it only bugs me if all of a sudden they're claiming these scores as beating you every time or being better than you etc. If we ever played for money theres zero chance any of that flies.

Only time it bothers me is when they score that way for me. Was playing with a guy, I hooked the first drive into the wild asphalt yonder (on a par 3, sadly), teed up, put it on the green, 2 putted. "Nice par" he said as I put in the 5 I actually had in my scorekeeping device. By my count it was a double bogey. This continued throughout the round. At the end of the round his view of my score and my view were about 8 shots off. Then again, my view of his reported score and his actual score were further off than that...but that side I did not care about. He enjoyed the round more that way and more power to him on that.

I really don't care what other people do on their scorecard in the non-competitive environments I play. I honestly usually have no idea if the other guy had a 68...or a 128. As long as they have fun with their game I am good. Just don't call my score wrong. I am out to have a great time, but I also want to write a legit score.

The OP reminded me of this popular commercial

A guy that used to work for my company was like that. First time I played with the guy, we walked a course out here in Costa Mesa. He sprayed balls left and right all day. He probably hit maybe 1 fairway all day and it'd be a stretch if he hit 2 greens all day. When we were done, he handed me his scorecard and he had an 78 written down. I just laughed. It became an ongoing joke throughout the golfers in the company. We called it Brad Math. I just laugh about it when I see it happen mainly.

The ones that bother me are the guys on the other end of the spectrum. We had a guy in my golf club that was always listed as an 11-13hcp. But the worst round I've ever seen him shoot in a tournament was 75. Really? lol

1zmmhc9.jpg

I usually tolerate one or two situations like this in a given round.. it's their handicap and if they don't want the bump, that's on them.

That said, if someone fudges their numbers hole to hole I'll offer them an extra scorecard to keep their totals.... Otherwise I am writing down actual scores because I can, in fact, count.

I play with a guy like this pretty often. I dont mind that he fudges his scores, but I wont invite him to any of my money matches. He claims to be an 11, but its definitely closer to 20. Just the other day, we were playing and we had to quit after 16 holes due to darkness and a strong thunder shower. His comment was,

"Shame we have to quit, I was playing pretty well. I was only 8 over!".

My response was, "Really? I had you for a 48 on the front 9."

He went speechless. Lol

I have a friend like this too. You would never want him on your team for anything, and it's a running joke with everyone else. Last time out, after taking a bad score on #5, he proclaimed that it sucked because he was only +3 (which would have been really good for him through 4 holes). In reality, he didn't take less than double on any of the first 4 holes, and there might have only been one double. His index is 12.2, but I bet he hasn't legitimately broken 95 this year.

Sounds like the best club in the guys bag is the eraser.

Personally, I usually end up playing with strangers most of the time.

Keep my own card and don't pay attention to the scores (either real or imagined) of others. May get an inking of it but just try to ignore it and play my game.

Don't keep a cap and don't play competitively so its a non-issue for me.

Meh. Whatever. I've played with guys like that. No skin off of my back. If he wants to take liberties with the rules, that's on him and I don't care. Just pay your fees.

Best part is he's a single and not a friend of yours and he asking you to keep is score. Lol. Keep your own score smh

I've never met anyone like this, but I don't think I would care much, it actually sounds kind of funny.

I don't think I've ever played with a stranger that we kept score with each other honestly, it's always a personal mark, which is preferred IMO.

lol that was so funny to read and the comments , funny story it i have had a coupole of low handicap friends that pick up 3 and 4 foot putts all the time stating to speed up play now we will pick up a 1 footer but damn if its way outside the putter grip u have to putt imho my buddy will even sit his putter in the hole risking to scratch his putter to prove its inside his putter grip lmao too funny

I don't understand the Reverse Sandbag

it doesn't make any sense, why handicap yourself like that?

I've played with people like that before. Haven't played with them since!

Back