I Wish Courses Would Bring Back Caddies

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
I recall the caddie shacks at golf courses long ago. Young kids who loved golf and would help with club selection, find balls, breaks on the greens, etc. I'd pay for a caddie if they had them. I caddied for two summers and had a great time!

Not many would pay for caddies around here at most courses anyway. Unless you're talking private clubs, then I don't know. I know I wouldn't use one if I belonged to a private club.

I've never played golf with a caddie, I would like to someday.

I have never played with a caddie. Would be fun to do once on a course I was playing for the first time.

I have never played with a caddie. Would be fun to do once on a course I was playing for the first time.

I've done so numerous times. I think I paid about $80-$100 with tip....but it was worth every penny because you're helping a young kid with a job, and you feel like your on TV with your caddie standing behind you looking at your putts, cleaning the clubs, carrying the bag while you take your glove off after hitting the green.

Ive done it a few times and have enjoyed it for the most part more times than not

I recall the caddie shacks at golf courses long ago. Young kids who loved golf and would help with club selection, find balls, breaks on the greens, etc. I'd pay for a caddie if they had them. I caddied for two summers and had a great time!

caddiesnow.com is a caddie service that lets you book caddies via their app

Caddies can be so hit or miss. I've had a few awesome caddies, and then I've had a couple where we just did not mesh well, especially on the greens.

I prefer to have the option to take one or not. Let me choose vs being forced.

I have never played with a caddie maybe someday I'll get the chance.
I can see this more at say Pebble Beach or Agusta and such rather than the local muni.

Nothing beats having a caddie. I’ve enjoyed the few times I’ve had one, and also was a caddie for years for a summer job. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds. It was good money for a kid, and also some good life lessons watching how different people conducted themselves on a golf course.

I've never had a caddy either. I'd like to try it. I can picture striping my drive, handing off my club and walking straight down the center of the tee box towards my ball. lol

I would love to play on a legendary course with a good caddie, just once.

I've never had a caddy either. I'd like to try it. I can picture striping my drive, handing off my club and walking straight down the center of the tee box towards my ball. lol

It's typically more

*Swing*
"%&@* that's off the planet. GONNA BE LONG DAY FRIEND HOPE YOU BROUGHT A FLASK" and then you rally from there.

I fall into the never-played-with-a-caddie club. I would like to try it one day, but I am such a cheapskate that I doubt I would ever pay one unless it was some type of crazy circumstance. Besides, I do NOT walk my course due to obesity and the fact that I'm lazy, so I don't need anybody to carry my clubs for me. :)

I've done it several times. Like many things there's a wide spectrum of skill sets. A really good one is awesome.

I had a really good one at The Wynn in Vegas and it was great. I wouldn't want to have a caddie all the time though.

Caddies really are hit or miss. When you find a good one at a course you like playing, it’s awesome knowing that you will have him on your bag again. There are two in particular that I love - one at Shadow Creek named Sarge and one at Whistling Straits named Dale Lorenz.

Having a great caddie can make all the difference. However I’ve had absolutely horrendous caddies too. The one I took at Bali Hai actually lost my 3w cover - a 2016 Oakmont US Open Headcover that was made specifically for Callaway Staff Players playing in the US Open that year. I’ve had another absolutely horrendous one at Erin Hills that did nothing but trash talk Whistling Straits and carry my bag. His reads sucked and i kept a better eye on my ball than he did because I was the one always finding it.

For me, the main criteria on determining caddie skills is green reading. The ones that say “this putt will break 2 cups” are not the good ones since break really depends on how hard one hits the putt. The good ones show me where to hit it too and with approximately what speed based on watching me on the putting green and first few holes. The best is when a good caddie tells me to try and stop a ball at a specific place when I have a downhill putt with lots of break and he says “aim right here and make the ball stop here as if it’s the hole. The slope and break will take care of the rest”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've played using the caddy one time, it was at Whistling Straits. Having a caddy does nothing for me. I would just as soon take the cart and use my GPS app. It won't bother me if I never use a caddy again. It adds quite a bit of expense to an already expensive round of golf.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

A friend at my club is a retired civil service employee who caddies at Pinehurst and goes to Pebble Beach for about a month each year to train caddies there. He’s also been to China to train caddies. I’ve played Pinehurst with a caddy, and it’s a great experience. These are usually men who’ve been there for years, not kids, and they know each nuance of the course and especially the breaks on the greens. Many courses these days are not designed for walking, but the older courses were built with holes close together and are very walkable. It’s definitely worth doing at least once on the right course.

Its something for high end courses. I wouldnt want one on a normal weekend track.

Lots of private courses around here are having trouble even getting enough kids out to caddie anymore....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I can almost guarantee I will never play a track high end enough that I would need or want a caddie.

I’ve had a forecaddie once at the Golf Club of Houston. They do some of what a normal caddie does, but some things different. The guy was in his late 30’s and knew the course well. He would give a run down of each hole and where to hit (or miss), then walk down the fairway to watch the tee shots. He’d have them all located by the time we arrived down the fairway. Then he’d provide information a normal caddie would for second and approach shots, but for the entire group. He’d also tend flags, help with reads, mark and clean golf balls, and rake the bunkers. It was $50 per player so he essentially makes $50 an hour.

I'm looking to caddie in my spare time this summer in between events. Blows my mind how few clubs have caddies now. Tough to even get loops!

Ugh. No thanks. between carts and GPS, who needs them? P.S. We aren't on tour...

Back