"If ____ isn't working, my round is toast!"

Driver always. It's hard to make par when you're second shot is behind a tree.

My driver.
If it is not working, I am in for a loooong round, score will be bad to absolutely awful.

I can't really pin it down to just one aspect of my game because it seems like when one thing goes south, others seem to get better. And then sometimes they all go, that's when it gets ugly. I guess you say that bogey golf is like skinning a cat, more than one way to do it.

Tee game for me. It's a mental block, as when it's bad, it's bad with whatever club I have in my hands. I won't discriminate against driver, fairway, hybrid, or even 9 iron…

My Driver when it goes bad it seems to propergate into the rest of my clubs.

Wedge or putter! If I don't drive it well, I can make up for with the putter or wedge it close enough to get by! If I don't putt well I will not break 80! I have played rounds hitting no fairways and still shoot par or better. But if I take 36 putts or more I am done!

following this thread gets me thinking about other threads we have had pertaining to what we feel are the more important parts of the game when it comes to where we stand as for our HCap's and better scoring in general are concerned.

In general (but not all) the trend in this thread shows that mid and especially higher cappers in general do need to get the longer game and approach game better on track in order to have a chance at better rounds. While lower cappers who can already (even on a bad day) take it as a given that the long and approach game is never really all that toooo bad and it hen becomes about the short stuff and putting. Hence something I have always maintained, the better one gets at golf, the more important the short stuff then becomes.

But first one needs to be somewhat respectably decent in keeping the ball in play and moving forward with some success even if on a less than good day or he simply will not score well. There is imo a huge importance to be able to do at least that and once that is a given, its then the short game and putting imo that dictates the rest as for how low you can go and how much you can save. One does need to first get from the tee box and down near enough to the greens in a respectable amount of strokes hole after hole in order to avoid a badly blown up round.

The putter

Driver - because every good round has had one thing in common - good drives. I need to be hitting an 8i or shorter into the green. If this isn't working I can be going up and down for double bogey.

Low handicappers with decent control over their long games need to have their short games working.

Putter... if my driver isn't working I can always hit and iron or 3wd off the tee, but if I am 3 putting everything else is for naught.

timing, if it is not working, nothing will go right for me

Putting game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee game. Hitting fairways is my forte.

Driver, which is stupid because I can still hit my 3w 280yds and find fairways all day. I will inevitably due to my own insecurities(I am big, strong man who hits far, lol) pull driver on a long par 4 or 5 and that will lead to a major blowup hole around double par.

My putter. Why bother getting it there if I'm just going 3 putt all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver, which is stupid because I can still hit my 3w 280yds and find fairways all day. I will inevitably due to my own insecurities(I am big, strong man who hits far, lol) pull driver on a long par 4 or 5 and that will lead to a major blowup hole around double par.

I know what ya mean for wanting to hit that driver regardless how well your 3wood is playing, but fwiw (at 280 and fairways all day with the 3wood) you should be destroying any tees mid 6000's to 7000 so long as you have a short game. That's longer than most hit their driver by a significant margin and your also hitting most fairways. Work on that shorter stuff and even with no driver your 12 cap I will bet easily becomes single digits :)

The putter...

chipping/pitching

Putting ... Putts can add up pretty qwk if they're all 3 putts

if i start to get out a sync and start pulling the ball with my irons my game is in a rough place really fast. I can recover from pulls from the tee much more difficult from the approaches.

Range finder :alien:

Seriously again, it's driver for me. Doesn't matter how well I'm striking the ball or putting if I'm in jail off the tee and having to 1 putt for pars all day.

range finder

Driver ... If I can not get out of the tee box good, I am screwed ...

If you hit 3W as far as the average PGA Tour pro hits their driver AND hit most fairways then why worry about hitting driver at all?
I have been told that same thing many times, the answer is simply that I am a stubborn ignoramus.

Back