"If ____ isn't working, my round is toast!"

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
Fill in the blank. What is the one part of your game that, if it's not working, you have no hope for a good score? What can you not overcome if it runs away from you for a round?

For me it's wedges inside 30y. My GIR is not overly good so I need that part of my short game to be on point to keep a good score in play. My putting is okay, I can two putt from most places. My tee game is average. I am good with iron contact, but laterally not so strong. I expect all those things. But I need those wedges to give me legitimate 1 putt chances in order to break 90 most days.

For me it is my FW's i am a short hitter to begin with so if i lose the main way i can get good distance I am screwed.

I've got to say driver because a bad swing there is more apt to include penalty strokes over the other parts of my game.

I can get by with one part of my game not working, but not two - whether it be putting, driving, or my ballstriking with irons. This theory was tested Monday - I played 18 in the morning with some THPers and 9 in the afternoon for my league. Shot about the same both times, just got there VERY different ways. In the morning I hit most fairways, but lost strokes going into the green. In the afternoon I was striking my irons much better, but having to get out of trouble on the tee. Putting was about the same both rounds - I was rolling the ball pretty well.

Without a doubt its my Driver. I have a quick transition and in the past when it went bad it was a train wreck. Even earlier this year I was fighting a span left hook, first time ever and it was killing any chance to score.

Is "the beer cart" an answer? for me it's my short game. I get in trouble off the tee a lot, but it's my game inside 100 that covers my a$$, most days

Feel - definitely the strongest part of my game - if the short wedges and putter aren't there, forget about it...

I've got to say driver because a bad swing there is more apt to include penalty strokes over the other parts of my game.

Yup. I can rack up penalty strokes pretty quickly when my driver is off. Its hard to score well when you're having to add strokes for penalties.

Short game, but wedges in particular.

Driver. If the driver is off I am screwed. My best rounds have come when I can find the fairway.

Tee game. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it does need to be serviceable, and every so often it has a tendency to just absolutely go to hell. That's where my blow up rounds come from.

Chipping/putting. I can save some major strokes when my putting and chipping is solid, but when it's off i gain major strokes.

By far driver. More of my round are screwed up because of penalty strokes or having to recover from a poor drive than I care to think about.

Thinking cap

DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER

Case in point....playing golf in San Diego with other THPers.

Chips and pitches, with feel and touch.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Driver

I could always drop to hybrid or 4i to score but it's not as much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say that any one aspect can ruin a round anymore. I usually need two failures to really struggle. I've turned in pretty good scores still with the driver being off or the putter staying home because I've learned to adjust away from the bad aspect.

The big guarantee of a crap round comes if I'm taking multiple penalties. They can come from any club at any time and screw things up royally

Without a doubt its putting for me.

I'd have to say my wedge game. I can bomb drive after drive but if my approach shots stink, I'll never score.

Wedges

It's my driver ! I'm doing better with it this year and have several good rounds to show for it. If I hit the fairways I can shoot upper 70's or low 80's.. If the driver goes wild, I go with it.

Short game for sure, not that it's that great but if it's off, round goes downhill real fast.

Putter...always the putter :/

If my short game is off I will not be able to go low.

Back