If you were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 you would look at to purchase

Callaway - the 2021 lineup has so many superb options it is almost impossible to not find something you love

Hogan - a lower cost option that still provides a really great looking forged club that will likely have a higher spin profile than others

Ping - just to give you a different profile to consider, from a manufacturer with quality products.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Callaway Apex
Mizuno JPX
Srixon ZX

Graphite shafts make a lot of sense for maintaining speed. Definitely give them a try.
This is my list exactly.

I'm also in the market for new irons. I'm going up to Sycamore, IL in August to get fitted at Sub 70. I really like the looks of their 699 Pro line.
If for some reason I don't hit those well then my next choice is Taylormade P770's or Titleist T200.

Cobra
Mizzy
Have never played this brand but Callaway is looking good
So now that Callaway has brought out their new TCB irons very much interested in them

Titleist
Mizuno
Callaway

At your age and playing level,
1.PXG 0211 for the money, if the stock shafts are a fit, you can’t beat them. Look as great as they play
2.Ping G425 the G series is always a great choice in your demographic
3. Mizuno Hot Metal another solid club, year after year
Callaway always gets a lot of love here, but the Apex 21’s are almost $200 per, and not a big upgrade on the 19’s. A Callaway guy I know very well said the DCBs haven’t been a big seller when I told him I hit them and wasn’t impressed.
Both Apex models are getting a lot of returns in stores though, and they’re also on CPO already, so if you hit them and like them, you should be able to get a deal.
Good luck, and have fun trying everything out.

Last edited:
Cobra MiM Tour
Mizuno JPX Tour
Srixon ZX7

Cobra MiM Tour
Mizuno JPX Tour
Srixon ZX7
You really think those are the clubs for a guy in his 60’s looking to get back into the game?

You really think those are the clubs for a guy in his 60’s looking to get back into the game?
Man I just went buy the title. If YOU were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 You would look at.

Just getting back in the game and shooting mid 80’s I think he would be fine with any of those. Maybe put some recoils in them.

I'd begin with the latest Ping "G" series irons.
Taylor Made and Callaway would be the next 2 brands I'd look into.

In no particular order:

Callaway Apex
Mizuno JPX
Srixon ZX

Graphite shafts make a lot of sense for maintaining speed. Definitely give them a try.

Agree 100% with post above…all great/solid irons and I have been playing graphite since mid-fifties due to bad shoulder/forearms and finger and other than easing the pain, have not lost anything in dispersion or distance. Good luck.

I'd have to look at
Mizuno
Ping
PXG

These are among the ones I did look at, I also looked at Callaway and a couple others. What it came down to for me a combination of forgiveness, price and ability to meet a reasonable time frame for delivery. I mention this as I discovered (and was shocked when I did) that a number of companies were/are having issues with meeting demand. It's not necessarily the club company's fault either, could be the shaft or grip manufacturer.

Callaway is always on my list, between their innovation and the pre-owned site, combined with them stepping up when I developed an intro to golf many years ago at my kids' elementary school. Callaway of all the companies I spoke to/reached out to was the only one who listened and who showed an interest. They supplied the school with about 100 total clubs, all different lengths, but most importantly all made for kids. The kids were given a very basic intro to the game, and if not for Callaway, they'd not have. For that reason alone, Callaway is always at or near the top of my list.

If I had been able to buy off the shelf (this is hard due to my fitting specs), I would likely have been a completely different story and I'd have had a couple more options.

If you want good looks, good feel and good forgiveness:

Cobra Forged Tec.

PXG 0311P Gen 3

If you want OK looks, less good feel and more forgiveness:

Srixon ZX4

Ping G425

If you just want forgivess:

Cleveland HB Turbo

Ping G710

If I was buying straight off the rack:

Callaway Apex
Cobra Radspeed
Mizuno Hot Metal

I did a fitting at Club Champion last month and was surprised they fit me in the TaylorMade Sim2 Max. Will have more on those irons after I get a few rounds in. But, TM doesn’t have much of a following here.

If I was buying straight off the rack:

Callaway Apex
Cobra Radspeed
Mizuno Hot Metal

I did a fitting at Club Champion last month and was surprised they fit me in the TaylorMade Sim2 Max. Will have more on those irons after I get a few rounds in. But, TM doesn’t have much of a following here.
Great ball strikers Morakawa, DJ and others play them.

Based soley on reviews, I would say for my own use...

1. Callaway Apex
2. Tour Edge C721
3. Titleist T200

Man I just went buy the title. If YOU were looking to buy new irons, name the 3 You would look at.

Just getting back in the game and shooting mid 80’s I think he would be fine with any of those. Maybe put some recoils in them.

Here you go, I posted this earlier.

At your age and playing level,
1.PXG 0211 for the money, if the stock shafts are a fit, you can’t beat them. Look as great as they play
2.Ping G425 the G series is always a great choice in your demographic
3. Mizuno Hot Metal another solid club, year after year
Callaway always gets a lot of love here, but the Apex 21’s are almost $200 per, and not a big upgrade on the 19’s. A Callaway guy I know very well said the DCBs haven’t been a big seller when I told him I hit them and wasn’t impressed.
Both Apex models are getting a lot of returns in stores though, and they’re also on CPO already, so if you hit them and like them, you should be able to get a deal.
Good luck, and have fun trying everything out.

From personal experience I see no statistical difference in the same category from OEM to OEM. Feel, sound, and appearance are the checkboxes along with price. Callaway Apex and Mizuno JPX are always on my mind. My current experience with Cobra really opened my eyes to them. When I tested MIM tours vs forged tecs I could game either one. When looking apples to apples the MIM tours acted and felt just like my JPX forged and Callaway Apex so picking between those 3 would just be price point and appearance. The forged tecs were something I was not expecting and are good for the game I want to play now. Getting older and having easy distance with forgiveness puts me in that category. So my new list would be the same type of irons (i500, p790, pxg, etc). Trying to take bias out of it I still think I would pick Cu Forged Tec out of those because the appearance is much better and the price is right.

Callaway Apex
Srixon ZX5
Cobra Forged Tec
Possibly Wilson Staff

Happy with my irons right now but these are the top-3 I would love to demo:

Titleist t100s
Callaway Apex/Pro
Srixon zx7

If I were in the market for new irons, I would look at irons from:

Cobra
Ping
Callaway