Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who uses them? Did you buy or make you own? What brand? Some drills I need to use will require use of bag.

I've only used one during a lesson, but if I was going to purchase one I would probably by the SKLZ model. Given the level of abuse I don't think I would try to make my own.

I've never tried one and don't quite understand their purpose

I purchased one and it's still empty in the garage. Not sure of the purpose either, not sure why I even bought it.

I use a giant pile of towels from time to time in my home office. My wife LOVES it. Perhaps I should invest 🤣

Keeps you from flipping at it, and teaches you to use your body more to deliver the hit instead of your wrists and hands.

Keeps you from flipping at it, and teaches you to use your body more to deliver the hit instead of your wrists and hands.
How?

For wrists and flipping, if you throw your hands at it, the clubhead will hit the bag and you’ll see your hands are behind the ball. We know it ain’t supposed to look like that.

For body turn, honestly? You make the bag heavier and your goal is to try and send that bag as far as you can. If you toss your hands at it, it’s not gonna go anywhere, plus it could hurt. You learn that you’ll move the bag when you have some weight behind it, which the only way you can do that is to keep your body turning and let your body weight hit it, essentially.

That verbiage made sense in my head, but I also acknowledge I slept for like 4hrs last night thanks to a kiddo having an allergy attack at 2:30

I purchased one and it's still empty in the garage. Not sure of the purpose either, not sure why I even bought it.

Purpose - not to flip before you hit the bag. Hands in front of clubhead. Shows where hands and clubhead are at impact.

Purpose - not to flip before you hit the bag. Hands in front of clubhead. Shows where hands and clubhead are at impact.
This ^^^^^ was my understanding.

I have an OnCourse bag I picked up at my LGS a while back. Looking into golf training aids at the time: A lot of what I read suggested a lot of pros/instructors felt an impact bag was one of the more effective training aids. Was inexpensive so I figured I'd give it a go. *shrug* Didn't do anything for me, but that may have been due to me having so many other swing defects and not working with it enough.

It did show me I was apparently not getting my hands behind the club at impact. But was I hitting the bag the same way I was hitting balls?

I suspect videoing one's self actually hitting balls might be more helpful in this respect?

I'll give it another try once I get to that point in my current training regimen.

I don't have one. But take a look around YouTube. All kinds of drills and uses for them

I destroyed 2 of them. have not bought a third.

Additionally, the bag, and the resistance it provides, will strengthen wrists helping to minimize future injuries. It also shows improper heel or toe leads in a more pronounced fashion as the improper lead collides with bag's strong resistance. And maybe most important, though the ball only weighs a fraction of the bag's weight, the body engagement for the anticipated level of bag resistance should be nearly the same dynamically as when a measly ounce and a half ball is present. Square, strong, wrists.

Additionally, the bag, and the resistance it provides, will strengthen wrists helping to minimize future injuries. It also shows improper heel or toe leads in a more pronounced fashion as the improper lead collides with bag's strong resistance. And maybe most important, though the ball only weighs a fraction of the bag's weight, the body engagement for the anticipated level of bag resistance should be nearly the same dynamically as when a measly ounce and a half ball is present. Square, strong, wrists.
I’ve always tried to send the bag as far as I can, and you can’t do that as well with the wrists. Hit it with the body though and weee.

But, that’s what just worked for me.

For wrists and flipping, if you throw your hands at it, the clubhead will hit the bag and you’ll see your hands are behind the ball. We know it ain’t supposed to look like that.

For body turn, honestly? You make the bag heavier and your goal is to try and send that bag as far as you can. If you toss your hands at it, it’s not gonna go anywhere, plus it could hurt. You learn that you’ll move the bag when you have some weight behind it, which the only way you can do that is to keep your body turning and let your body weight hit it, essentially.

That verbiage made sense in my head, but I also acknowledge I slept for like 4hrs last night thanks to a kiddo having an allergy attack at 2:30
Hmm, I kinda want one now...

I’ve always tried to send the bag as far as I can, and you can’t do that as well with the wrists. Hit it with the body...

That's good, that's the general idea.

And maybe most important, though the ball only weighs a fraction of the bag's weight, the body engagement for the anticipated level of bag resistance should be nearly the same dynamically as when a measly ounce and a half ball is present. Square, strong, wrists.

I understand what they are “supposed” to do. I am not sure they actually do it..

You thump the ball already, you may do it already by default?
I don’t care who you are. Everyone wants more thump..

Back