"In my opinion..."

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
If you write or say something, it's your opinion. It doesn't need to be reiterated that it's YOUR opinion. Duh. Unless you have hard data to support what you said, and talk about this data, then it's still your opinion.

That being said, if you have a lot of experience at something, your opinion may have more validity, but screaming at someone that what they just said isn't fact is just asinine. If it's FACT there is data to support the FACT.

The other day I got all kinds of **** because some of the things I wrote weren't fact and how dare I say them!! 99% of what is written on most internet forums are opinions. See, that's MY opinion. I have no data to support that, and it is perhaps some hyperbole, so no, I don't have hard data to support this. Ergo, NOT A FACT. Just my opinion.

JB talks to a lot of industry insiders and reports his findings which I consider FACT. Personally. You may not, because he didn't do a scientific research study with data analysis, but because he himself is an industry insider and has his feet on the ground, it is pretty damn reliable information. So yeah, it's a fact when he says what he says concerning a new product he just spoke to the person who created it about.

I was at the US Open as a volunteer this year and HALF of the people I spoke to were super pissed off about how they were being treated. Even USGA employees who chose to volunteers were dismayed. Did I speak to all 4500 volunteers. No I didn't, but I extrapolated based on my experience there. So I said that 2000 people complaining was something to be listened to. And got **** for saying that because it's not FACT. No **** it's not fact.

If all we wanted to talk about was fact, how much content would forums like this really have?

No, your opinion is not FACT (most of the time). Is yours?

Sure, at times it absolutely is.

and i would say many people are far too quick to extrapolate an anecdote to a population and draw a conclusion that is inaccurate.

but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Keep in mind there are facts out there that are easily manipulated to form an opinion.

To use your example...

FACT:I was a volunteer at the US Open at Winged Foot
FACT:I enjoyed the experience from day 1
FACT:I would do it again if I could make it work
FACT:I did not care that I had to pay because what I put up was easily covered
FACT:The gentlemen in my area were all fine with their assignment and how we were dealt with
FACT:Volunteering at such an event will not be for everyone
FACT:Everything I have said above does not invalidate your personal experience or thoughts on the matter

You can make an assertion that is an established fact.

If there's differing opinion or lack of consensus, I think it's appropriate to frame it with "in my opinion" to show that it's your viewpoint, but not be everyone's.

I think facts and opinions are both valid contributions to the forum... is it important to distinguish which one you're presenting? In my opinion, yes...

19b.jpg

I remember a lesson like this when writing persuasive essays back in high school. And a bit from a great TV show.

So much is lost when communicating via text (not face-to-face or even phone) that I think the more you make clear for the reader, the better. But that's just my opinion.

42a1ad9e744e8d31eb8c10b50c6fdb62--battlestar-galactica-dwight-schrute.jpg

I will often add "IMO" to an idea or thought just to reinforce that I'm not under the illusion that I believe it's a universal fact.

To me these two sentences read a lot differently:
1) The Rogue SZ is the lowest spin driver ever made.
2) In my opinion, the Rogue SZ is the lowest spin driver ever made.

Regarding golf equipment "facts" I often question the data that supports those facts.
For example, there is a fitting studio- club building shop that puts out a lot of YouTube videos testing club heads, shafts etc... According to the shop's simulator-Quad the guy swinging the 6-iron consistently carries the ball straight, with a high trajectory, and 200+ yards.
But the guy's swing has a significant lateral move, he sways off the ball quite a bit. There is no chance that on a real golf course his shots would have the accuracy-trajectory-carry distance that his indoor simulator shots produce. So, I question the "facts" of the golf industry electronic shot measuring devices.

I remember a lesson like this when writing persuasive essays back in high school. And a bit from a great TV show.

So much is lost when communicating via text (not face-to-face or even phone) that I think the more you make clear for the reader, the better. But that's just my opinion.

42a1ad9e744e8d31eb8c10b50c6fdb62--battlestar-galactica-dwight-schrute.jpg

MICHAEL!!!

If there's differing opinion or lack of consensus, I think it's appropriate to frame it with "in my opinion" to show that it's your viewpoint, but not be everyone's.

My assertion is that unless stated as fact with appropriate proof that it is indeed fact, everything stated on the internet is nothing more than opinion.

Unless experience is a factor, in which case, that should also be stated.

For example: "I've run a successful small business for 30 years. I know how a successful small business should handle things with clients. Telling me that a small business can have universally poor CS but still stay in business for a long time is just not how it is."

So, is that a statement of fact? Or just an opinion? One can say it is an opinion based on one business and how it handles its own clients. One can also say the experience of that one business owner can transfer to all small businesses and is just a fact of how a small business runs. I chose the latter.

I'm glad our engagement could get more conversation going on THP!
I think there's a really easy way to communicate on the internet.

Sample:
Instead of saying this; "The PGA Tour doesn't care about blah blah"
Say this; "Based on the fact of blah blah, I bet the Tour doesn't care about that"

There's so much false information flying around message boards. Safest play is to not parade around with fake absolutes. Adding "I bet" or "IMO" or "I think" when you're not 100% sure.

I'm glad our engagement could get more conversation going on THP!
I think there's a really easy way to communicate on the internet.

Sample:
Instead of saying this; "The PGA Tour doesn't care about blah blah"
Say this; "Based on the fact of blah blah, I bet the Tour doesn't care about that"

There's so much false information flying around message boards. Safest play is to not parade around with fake absolutes. Adding "I bet" or "IMO" or "I think" when you're not 100% sure.

Of course!

I had a professor in College for a Sociology class, and when writing an essay, if you wrote on there "I think" or "In my opinion" or stated that something was a fact without appropriate citations, you lost a ton of points. Some people actually failed the class on that alone.

MICHAEL!!!

I can not wait for our next trip together (fact!) I’m covering sooooo much of your stuff in jello (threat)

Of course!

I had a professor in College for a Sociology class, and when writing an essay, if you wrote on there "I think" or "In my opinion" or stated that something was a fact without appropriate citations, you lost a ton of points. Some people actually failed the class on that alone.

Sure, but a web forum is not an academic setting, so the norms are different.

I can not wait for our next trip together (fact!) I’m covering sooooo much of your stuff in jello (threat)

I'm picturing golf ball Jello jigglers...

It’s the nature of the internet beast, thoughts get conveyed, but without feeling and emotion being clearly transmitted misunderstandings can and frequently do happen.

The onus is on all of us (opinion) to do our best to not only clearly communicate our feelings as best we can, but endeavor to read others thoughts with that in mind. It’s a hard line to balance, but it’s crucial for communities like this.

When it comes to presenting anecdotal data it really is important (opinion) to make sure that we clarify how we came up with data.

In the case of volunteers mentioned above, a simple disclaimer like: based on the conversations I had it seems.....

Another thing to consider is herd mentality (not sure if that’s the right term) where you might have a couple people unhappy about ‘x’ talking with some people that might not care about ‘x’. However in that environment those that have no strong opinion might agree with the unhappy group to avoid conflict. So your sample size might be skewed with no good way to identify how skewed it is.

I do not believe it is necessary for a writer to have to "support with facts" every assertion made. I think it's up to the reader to use their own judgement when reading and, or, interpreting someone's writing.
For example, in golf shoe threads here several people inevitably write that the shoe they wear "is the most comfortable golf shoe ever made". The writer does not need to support that statement with facts, or write "in my opinion". It's up to the reader to be sensible enough to differentiate facts from opinions.

Putting "in my opinion" before a statement helps the readers from thinking that you are trying to state something as fact. That then helps the conversation continue on instead of the conversation turning to whether you are stating something as a fact or an opinion.

Back