Interesting Club & Bag Setup Thought - Second Driver

My local golf shop my boy James treats me right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking an SLDR head or a Callaway 13.5* Big Bertha V-Series head.

I wouldn't mind a UST shaft if you get another deal like that! Haha

I'm thinking an SLDR head or a Callaway 13.5* Big Bertha V-Series head.

I wouldn't mind a UST shaft if you get another deal like that! Haha

Yeah that V-Series head would be nice nice light head and forgiving probably a good combination, if you need a shaft I can probably get you one next time I go over probably after the Kickoff Classic next weekend I can pick you up something he has a ton of shafts waiting to go into something like this probably get something decent

Yeah that V-Series head would be nice nice light head and forgiving probably a good combination, if you need a shaft I can probably get you one next time I go over probably after the Kickoff Classic next weekend I can pick you up something he has a ton of shafts waiting to go into something like this probably get something decent

Heck yeah the Callaway head sounds like a great and forgiving option! That would be awesome but I'm not in any rush right now so no need to go out of your way. Thank you though!

Tried out the Epic 13 degree with a Hazadous Fairway shaft (43.5) in Regular today. For me it was more like a 2 wood, i have the SF Tec at 12 degrees which is longer by 10 metres ( the first Driver bll is included below), much to ponder but geez what fun to hit as yu could really belt it, fade it and draw it.

Dispersion was good and i was consistent in the 200 metre carry range with the Epic at fairway length. Nice gap to the 16 degree Fairway,

Will book in again and try out some more combos as initial test was great,

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Well I have my second driver in play finally. Played my first round with it on Sunday at Callaway Gardens. My driver was on from the first tee box which was a pleasant surprise and the fourth hole afforded my first opportunity to the Cleveland Hibore XL superlaunch(16') at 43.5' into play and I piped a nice high draw to the middle of the fairway and had a nine iron into the green. I hit a slight cut with my driver and with the slightly closed face of the Cleveland I was hitting a nice tight draw. I hit it five more drives that day with four center cut and one I went after and lost right(I really took an aggressive swipe at this one) but got up and down for a par.

The UST Attas 6s shaft is awesome I put in it and pairs well with the head. I used it on all holes shaped left to right using it for the shape it hits and holes I just didn't feel comfortable with driver due to tight tree lined fairways and hazards that might come into play. The only gripe I might have is the distance I was getting might be competing with my driver I carried a couple 240-250yds and that's a little too close to my driver more experimentation will be conducted and I will have to get both on a launch monitor.

The journey will continue two weeks from now in Charleston... to be continued...

Continue to enjoy the Cleveland I pull it even when I feel the least amount of discomfort on a teebox. I'm hoping for a safety blanket with this 2nd driver. I'm committing to playing it for this season. I will be playing this Friday we will see how it goes I will share my thoughts.

I bring 2nd driver for personal joy :joy:

20151024_101336_zpsddewfzsk.jpg

I hit my Triton with PX Handcrafted and my Vapor Pro with UST THP Custom shaft the other day head to head on a sim and noticed that I was hitting the Triton about 10-15 yards further with a higher fade, but the Vapor was just hit on a rope and had more of a draw tendency with a lower ballflight. As a result, I'm seriously thinking about subbing it in for my mini driver and possibly chopping it down to like 44" (it's already at 45") and slap a little lead tape on there to compensate. The monster-head 3W idea is really appealing to me, since I never hit the mini off the deck.

You guys still rocking this?

I am still playing it.
The Exotics EX10 Beta is the only thing that threatens it.

I'd be happy to hit one driver even halfway decently. Two is way out of the question.

I hit my Triton with PX Handcrafted and my Vapor Pro with UST THP Custom shaft the other day head to head on a sim and noticed that I was hitting the Triton about 10-15 yards further with a higher fade, but the Vapor was just hit on a rope and had more of a draw tendency with a lower ballflight. As a result, I'm seriously thinking about subbing it in for my mini driver and possibly chopping it down to like 44" (it's already at 45") and slap a little lead tape on there to compensate. The monster-head 3W idea is really appealing to me, since I never hit the mini off the deck.

You guys still rocking this?

I still like it, my SZ is my fader and GBB is setup for a draw. My home course has 5 driving holes were a draw shape is preferred and length isn't as big of a concern. So this setup works well for me.

I still like it, my SZ is my fader and GBB is setup for a draw. My home course has 5 driving holes were a draw shape is preferred and length isn't as big of a concern. So this setup works well for me.
Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking as well. I can draw the Triton as well, but it's more of a straight shot with maybe a couple yards draw - I can't seem to do anything significant. But I can fade it on a rope. The VP on the other hand, I can hook that thing hard around a tree if I want.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've grown very comfortable with my second driver its like a safety blanket. Its still in the bag and used more than my primary driver it is not leaving the bag anytime soon. The UST Attas6 shaft has served me very well and for an old head it can put the ball out there. It has shown me being a low ball hitter I need more loft than I was playing in the past.

I'm still toying with this idea for my bag. I tried carrying my Vapor Pro / THP UST Helium combo and always choking up to ~44" as my 2W/second driver for accuracy, and I really enjoyed it. The only problem is, I pretty much hit it just as far as my main driver, and now it has me thinking about cutting down my main driver!

So, what I think I'm going to do is this:
1) Driver: Cut down Triton / PX Handcrafted (set 11*) to 44.5", add weight as necessary (Polyfil).
2) 2W/"Thriver": Either crank my R15 460 / PX Handcrafted (raw) to 14* and cut it to 43.5" and add weight; OR get another head (high spin and/or loft) and cut that to the same length.
3) Transition to 19* XR16 5W

Thoughts? I'd also appreciate any suggestions on what head to use for the 2W (R15 I already have, or another). Some higher spin options I know of are Fly-Z/Bio Cell, XR/XR16, but would appreciate other thoughts.

Also, my intention all along has been to make sure that the 2W hits shorter than the driver. Is that what everyone here does too, or do you play more of a "fade driver/draw driver" with similar distance targets?

Well I snagged a Fly Z off the bay for cheap today, so I'll be using that as my thriver experiment. Excited to give it a shot!

I've done this now. Got my Cobra King Ltd at 9 degree and my Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 at 11. Mainly tee off with the Mini except particular holes which need a little extra. Liking it so far.

Haven't read the entire thread, just the OP. So allow me to concur with the thought process and explain my bag makeup.

I carry two "drivers " and have for years. I carry whichever primary driver I'm hitting well (currently a TM R15 430 with a Speeder x-flex) and an old wooden Ping Eye 2 driver with a rusty metal shaft of some sort (lol if you must). I also carry a three wood, which I can hit about 20 yards further on average than the old Ping. There are several reasons I carry the second driver. For one, it's my "scoot out of trouble" club. I can hit it very low from virtually any lie and it's perfect for hitting it under a limb and letting it run for 100 yards. My three wood wants to get up and fly so not such a great "scoot" club.

I can also hit it off the deck for distance, and will often hit it as a second into a par 5. Particularly so if the shot shape is appropriate to running one onto the green. Even more so if there is trouble left. I don't think I have ever hit this club left. It has only one shot shape for me and that is a left to right one. I can slice it, but cannot draw it. Never have even tried, why would I?

The last reason, it's my go to club on days when nothing else is working. Sure, I lose a ton of distance with it. But on those days when I just can't control the big boy, this club seldom lets me down. There's one course I play quite a bit that has the narrowest hole I've ever seen on it. It's a 375 yard par 4, that's widest point between the trees is probably 35 yards. I play this club every time from the tee here. I'm actually planning on playing a PAT at this course in June (just for shins and griggles, I spent a year 20 years ago as an "Assistant" Golf Pro and that was more than enough for me-I'm doing this just for the pure joy of it-provided all the slots aren't taken so please don't accuse me of holding anyone back, I won't sign up until last minute so that I don't keep anyone that needs it from being in it).

One more reason I guess. This club has probably single handedly won me more money from strangers than all my other clubs put together. You break something like that out on the first tee and you look like a sucker for all the degenerate gamblers out there. After they stop snickering, they all want to talk money. Before they see any balls flying. Lol!

Since I'm already writing a novel here, the rest of my bag is comprised of a 3H (that I hit exactly as far as my 3i and would be the first club to go if I need to trim-I usually only hit it every fifth round or so and only then when I have a crap lie from the rough as that's the only time it's even remotely close to as consistent of a club for me as my 3i). 3-PW (again, Ping Eye 2's-have been my clubs for 20 years or so now) and an old 40.00 Walmart putter of a brand I can't recall without going and looking at it. Laugh if you must but I've tried many others of just about all price points and none have cut it for ME as well as this one. Also laugh if you must at me carrying a stock set PW as my only wedge. I used to carry the stock set SW, but it met a watery demise after dunking three straight balls into a lake in Apple Valley OH. This was 20 years ago and I guess I must have had a temper back then. As to only carrying the stock PW, I can hit every wedge shot with it from bump and run to flop. It's not like I've not tried out others, I just find no advantage to them from this tried and true friend of mine.

Yes, that's only 13. I'm well aware. I promise that as soon as I find another club that I like, I'll add it. But don't be too surprised if it's a third driver or a second putter, lol!!

So I may be joining this club myself. Grabbed a JGR 10.5 on a lark and put it in play today. Other than a dead pull this thing goes pretty darn straight! Though it's a high launcher for me which takes some distance off compared to the XR16.

Used it on holes where I just needed to be in play, be it shorter holes or tight fairways. Other than one user error miss I was in a pretty good spot every time I pulled it.

If this works out I'll probably ponder cutting it down a touch but after one round I dig it. Helps that I can't hit a 3W off the deck to save my life so the swap out isn't too big of a dagger.

So I may be joining this club myself. Grabbed a JGR 10.5 on a lark and put it in play today. Other than a dead pull this thing goes pretty darn straight! Though it's a high launcher for me which takes some distance off compared to the XR16.

Used it on holes where I just needed to be in play, be it shorter holes or tight fairways. Other than one user error miss I was in a pretty good spot every time I pulled it.

If this works out I'll probably ponder cutting it down a touch but after one round I dig it. Helps that I can't hit a 3W off the deck to save my life so the swap out isn't too big of a dagger.

That's awesome JonD. Did you shorten it at all?

I'm about to go down this path as well; Waiting on my brother to ship out the GBB that's already at his house. I'm thinking of cutting off 1.5" to get it to 44", adding lead tape and setting it up to fade. I'll then probably move the weight on the F7 to the heel side. Use the GBB on tight holes or ones that require a fade, and if it's wide open or need a draw use the F7. Sounds great in theory.

Glad to see some others going to same route. I hit the Fly Z I just got at the range yesterday and it launched higher than my Triton even at 10.5, and it really just wants to go straight. Like others, I'm gonna cut it down to probably 43.5"-44" and add extra weight, and loft it to taste.

Glad to see some others going to same route. I hit the Fly Z I just got at the range yesterday and it launched higher than my Triton even at 10.5, and it really just wants to go straight. Like others, I'm gonna cut it down to probably 43.5"-44" and add extra weight, and loft it to taste.

You're welcome. I kid I kid.

There's a chance my bag will have 2 drivers at the RR. Team ShowMe is stacked with talent so the 2 driver setup should intimidate them and thus bring HOF tags to Team Juicy Lucy.

You're welcome. I kid I kid.
No need to kid, I wouldn't have thought to go Fly-Z unless you'd said it. So thanks!

Now I just need the right size wrench lol.

No need to kid, I wouldn't have thought to go Fly-Z unless you'd said it. So thanks!

Now I just need the right size wrench lol.

I meant the loft part of it...haha

Back