Interesting Club & Bag Setup Thought - Second Driver

My father plays two drivers. He was brought up by my grandfather who taught him that being able to hit driver off the deck is an absolute necessity. He has a normal sized driver that he uses off the tee and he uses an older model of driver as a fairway metal. He can still hit his normal driver off the deck if he needs to but he prefers to use the smaller one for that.

I dont use use a fairway metal right now. I used to carry it as a replacement for the driver on tight par 4s. I just seem to hit my long irons might better than I could ever hit my 3 wood. Eventually I will put it back in the bag, but I don't really see a need for it at this point and I enjoy the use of my long irons.

I'm going to continue this in 2017

Having gamed it for so long now, any reason would would ever move back to a traditional Driver/3w setup?

Having gamed it for so long now, any reason would would ever move back to a traditional Driver/3w setup?

Not sure. Found something that gave me more versatility without any sacrifice in forgiveness? Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

Any chance you will try it with the GBB Epic 13.5 Driver head? It was my first thought when I saw they were offering that loft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly. Although I still think something more "spinny" fits the slot a bit better so that flighting and working the ball either way can be accomplished.

Possibly. Although I still think something more "spinny" fits the slot a bit better so that flighting and working the ball either way can be accomplished.

I was thinking about that after I posted probably best to play two very different style Driver heads if you are going the two drivers in the bag route.

I was thinking about that after I posted probably best to play two very different style Driver heads if you are going the two drivers in the bag route.

The other part of it for me is that the shallower XXIO gives me the ability to hit the driver off the deck if I want to. However to be fair, I have not tried to hit my other drive off the turf as of yet, but will get a chance Friday on the course.

I also bring two drivers to golf course .... the 2nd driver is 14th club in the bag.

I do this for fun or personal testing reasons.

I also bring two drivers to golf course .... the 2nd driver is 14th club in the bag.

I do this for fun or personal testing reasons.
How many wedges and how many woods/hybrids?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How many wedges and how many woods/hybrids?

20170129_114235_zpspgw8y8iq.jpg

I couldn't do it. I need my three wood for the tight driving holes and part 5 2nd shots

I'm giving this a go I like the idea and want to see how it works for me. I've ordered a Cleveland Hibore XL Superloft(16*) driver head to replace my three wood. I have holes I routinely play where driver is bringing in too much danger but I still want that level of forgiveness off the tee. My higher lofted G25 5 wood or Callaway Apex UT I can attack any greens needed for par 5 purposes and like JB if its over a certain distance someone should slap the go for it club out of my hands. This is strictly off the tee club for me. I haven't decided which shaft or length I'm going with but I'm excited after reading JB's success with his setup. Pretty cool idea excited to put it into play! I will update when things arrive and a plan is formulated. Maybe be ready in time for the Kickoff Classic we will see...

I'm giving this a go I like the idea and want to see how it works for me. I've ordered a Cleveland Hibore XL Superloft(16*) driver head to replace my three wood. I have holes I routinely play where driver is bringing in too much danger but I still want that level of forgiveness off the tee. My higher lofted G25 5 wood or Callaway Apex UT I can attack any greens needed for par 5 purposes and like JB if its over a certain distance someone should slap the go for it club out of my hands. This is strictly off the tee club for me. I haven't decided which shaft or length I'm going with but I'm excited after reading JB's success with his setup. Pretty cool idea excited to put it into play! I will update when things arrive and a plan is formulated. Maybe be ready in time for the Kickoff Classic we will see...

Looking forward to following how it works for you in this thread. Should be fun to compare.

My second driver(Cleveland XL Hibore SuperLaunch) will be arriving tomorrow I'm excited to try it out on the course. The first deal though is I have to change out the shaft in it since it has a senior flex shaft. Haven't really thought a lot about this probably going to put a three wood shaft. I want it to be high launching and not as low spin as my driver shaft. Will have to do some research... Anyone have any suggestions?

This sounds super interesting and I haven't thought about trying this until recently since my driving has been much better than it used to be. Time to go search through the used drivers at my local Pro Shop!

This sounds super interesting and I haven't thought about trying this until recently since my driving has been much better than it used to be. Time to go search through the used drivers at my local Pro Shop!

Would enjoy hearing about it when you find what your looking for, mine is on the UPS truck as we speak and I'm excited to see how it goes.

I like the idea of a second driver and IMO many golfers could benefit from it. I like to think of my Callaway 2Deep as a second driver at 12.5* and I use it off the tee 9+ times per round. For me, the smaller head seems to help me focus as I hit the sweet spot more often than I do with my driver. I'll soon be ordering the Epic SZ 13* to see if it can replace my 2Deep.

Would enjoy hearing about it when you find what your looking for, mine is on the UPS truck as we speak and I'm excited to see how it goes.

If I find one I'll definitely post on here if it works for me! I think I'm going to search for an older club I've always wanted to play.

If I find one I'll definitely post on here if it works for me! I think I'm going to search for an older club I've always wanted to play.

That's what I did, I had the Unicorn a long time ago the fabled Cleveland Hibore 2 wood 16* of bashing fun, it was great. I gave it to a buddy who still plays it today frustrating. My Cleveland Hibore Superlaunch also 16* arrives today probably higher MOI than the 2 wood being 460cc so excited to see how it works out for me.

IMG_1217.JPGIMG_1218.JPG

Look what came in the mail today, now to figure out what shaft to throw in this beast...

Man!! That's a sweet setup for a thriver. eBay?

Man!! That's a sweet setup for a thriver. eBay?

My local golf shop my boy James treats me right!

If you run across a deal like that again you should let me know

Back