Introducing A Newbie to Golf

jrs362

Reaction score
Handicap
So my girlfriend recently mentioned that she would like to get into golf, and play with me since I don't have many people up this way to play with due to my work schedule and other stuff going on. This was a complete shock to me as she's never shown any interest in golf and has always used the "boring" line when I talk about it. She's not a very "athletic" person and I'm not sure how quickly she'd catch on, if at all. I can see this being a complete disaster taking 3-4 hours to play 9 holes. Not to mention how many balls she'd lose and how many tons of dirt/sod she'd need to carry with her to fill her divots.

I'd start her out at the range to let her figure out the swing, etc, but she doesn't own any golf equipment (I'm left handed so letting her "borrow" isn't an option) and I don't foresee her wanting to stick with it so I'm reluctant to go the lessons route. She's been eyeing a cheap $100 starter set from Dicks I believe that includes a driver, wood, hybrid, putter, and a few irons so I may let her go that route and see if she likes it. I've checked Craigslist but there's not much in our area for women's clubs.

How did you all introduce your girlfriend, wife, or someone who has never played before, to the sport?

I helped my sister learn to golf. She got a cheap starter set and I just brought her out to a field with a shag bag and let her hit. Gave her small tips here and there, but mostly just let her figure it out for herself. After a while of that we started going to the range and hitting there.

Last edited:
Look around your area and see if there are any courses offering the "get golf ready" program from the PGA....there is a course not far from me that does it and it's a series of lessons designed with a beginner in mind....they are done in groups and they last about 90 minutes each....there are 10 lessons total and it's only $99....I think it would be the perfect way to introduce them to the game

I would get the 100 dollar set for now. That is a small investment for the potential for a hobby both of you would enjoy. As TBT said as well, look for a starter lesson that introduces the basics.

One last thing like you said, go to the range multiple time before you hit the course. Going to the course before she has hit many balls will most likely cause frustration.

Luckily I have only had two complete newbies want to go out with me. Both were right handed and I let them use some old clubs. I took them out on slow weekdays and told them to not worry about other folks I would take care of letting them through when it was time. I showed them the golf grip and then demonstrated the swing and pretty much let them swing as much as it took. Scorekeeping is something you just don't need to do at all. I would let them try no more than twice to get over water and hazards, if they did not get over in 2 tries I would drop on the other side for them to continue.

One of them never tried again and the other only goes out occasionally but still cannot break 100 on his best day. They will determine if they really want to play so don't pressure her. I would look on Craig's list to see if I could get her a set much cheaper as you may be reselling it sooner than she thinks. Good luck.

I think you should get her lessons regardless. You don't want to teach her, I guarantee you that!

My wife wanted to play and there was no way I was even going to try to teach her! I would only teach her bad habits and she would for sure quit the game.

How often do courses run that program? A course not far from me has it listed on their website but no additional information about it.

How often do courses run that program? A course not far from me has it listed on their website but no additional information about it.
It varies from course to course....just give them a call....in your area I can imagine it wont be till spring...but probably early spring as that kind of program is designed to generate new golfers for the course.

Get her a $99 starter set and give them a call.

I think you should get her lessons regardless. You don't want to teach her, I guarantee you that!

My wife wanted to play and there was no way I was even going to try to teach her! I would only teach her bad habits and she would for sure quit the game.

Definitely don't want to teach. I don't mind throwing pointers her way (not that they're necessarily correct), but I think I'd frustrate myself more than I'd frustrate her in that situation.

Welcome to THP!

3 years ago I had this crazy idea that if I learned to play golf I could spend more time with my husband as we entered a new "decade". He thought that was a great idea, but if we wanted to stay married he shouldn't be the one to teach me. So we found some group lessons and I borrowed some clubs, but the teacher also had clubs I could have used during the lessons. My husband thought that would be the most economical route until I decided if I liked it or not. I sort of ended up totally addicted to this crazy game. I've continued with the teacher, and I have my own clubs now. But, if it had gone the other way and I lost interest, we wouldn't have invested too much time or money.

funny, my wife said the same thing to me last year before she got pregnant. we went to the driving range probably about 10 times before she said she felt comfortable going to play 18. there is an all par 3 course right by us that is rarely crowded so whenever we play together we go there. we've only played best ball (which I highly recommend doing) that way it reduces the amount of balls lost and also the frustration of hitting probably 6-10 shots per hole while I birdie or par each one. I had an older set from when I was in high school and right around the same height so thankfully those worked for her. I would recommend getting a cheap starter set because she might not even want to play again after a couple rounds! lol

I would start her out with a used set of quality clubs, no sense in spending the big money on what may not work out. My other suggestion is let her play along, and just explain to her the etiquette side of playing. Meaning if you guys are holding up the course then you will need to pick up and go to the next hole or let people through. I strongly suggest getting her some lessons. I will pay dividends to her enjoyment of the game, and will keep the tension down between you guys. If you're doubting that she will stick it out, why not invite her out one afternoon to ride along with you, let he do some chipping and putting to get a sense of being out there. Then play it by ear, if she wants more of it, let her take more. My wife actually hates womens clubs, she plays with senior flex that are cut down for her height, she's only 5'4". So that may be another option to look at. What it really sounds like is she is wanting to spend time with you, and you're feeling like she is encroaching on you're golf time.

Welcome to THP!!!

As has been mentioned, go with the intro lessons they will be a life saver, they go over etiquette and work their way back from the green to the tee. My wife has enjoyed playing the par three with me, it is quick and also is a known learning course so you know pace of play isn't going to be blistering. I wish I had taken lessons right away because she has a great swing and is only lacking confidence in herself.

1st, welcome to THP.
2nd, get the cheap starter set & lessons. Most instructors I know would rather work with women or children anyway, they tend to be more open to suggestion & less likely to have their own way of doing something.
Hit the range, play some goat pastures that don't have many hazards, you'll lose fewer balls & make it a little easier on everyone involved. Make it fun. My wife has certainly gotten better but we still play best ball most of the time. We tend to use my drives & her putts so everybody contributes.
Just some ideas but keep it fun, golf is a game after all.

When my wife started I let her first experience be with a pro so he could be the teacher and me the support. She loved the lesson and went back for a second and third the next two weeks. Now we play all the time and she really has a lot of fun with it.

I took my wife to a range showed her how to address the ball and grip the club. She took about 15 swings at a ball with a 7 iron, before finally topping it about 10 yards.
She looked at me and said it was a stupid game and wanted nothing to do with it.
A year later I took her again. She took 5 swings before topping a ball. Then she bladed 3 or 4 balls in a row.
And then....BANG! She hit the ball flush and it flew out to about 65 yards. She was hooked.

Get her first set from Goodwill or something like that so they are very cheap. Then get her some lessons.
I did that with my wife and I now have a golf fanatic on my hands that loves to play every bit as much as I do.

I was told last night, "don't get me golf clubs for Christmas; that'd be weird," so I'll definitely be waiting until next season comes around to see if she's still interested. I'll go the range route, and if she's interested after a few trips will consider the lessons if she wants.

I started teaching my fiance for the same reason. I recalled my steps of learning to golf so bought her a set to get her excited. Lol, matching bag and clubs got her happy. I took her to the range, let her make contact with the ball after correcting stance, grip, alignment, aim and watch her progress... It took about a month or two to get these. I then took her out on a shorter course after she was able to arm swing 50 to 75 yards so she can get a feel of the game. She now wants to practice and get serious. After she expressed her interest, I restarted the teaching with the smallest and most important swing, putting - aim and hitting square. Took that to chipping as an extended putting... She is still at pw, 9, and 7...The entire process is kind of fun. I am re-learning the fundamentals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Started set and lessons.

The best thing I did when my wife showed interest in playing was getting the 'Get golf Ready' program. It was $99 for 5 lessons, not 10. But I bought her a hybrid, 3W and very old set of ladies irons. She really enjoyed the lessons.

She enjoyed them so much that after the 2nd lesson she accompanied me to the Atlantic City THP Van stop and played!!! Of course she had great playing partners in GG, nerfny, and Mrs.Golf4life. She bought a set of Adams clubs from nerny and really enjoyed both the round and the companionship!! Now she's talking about getting a fitting next spring! Next year I hope to get her into a ladies league.

Get her with the 'Get Golf Ready' program and an inexpensive starter set.

Back