Invest In Rain Gear

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just a bit of a PSA. If you are a golfer that plans on traveling for golf, or wants to travel for golf or wants to play in a THP Experience, invest in some rain gear.

There is literally nothing worse than getting a chance to play some dream course and have it raining to ruin your fun. A good set of rain gear, while pricy, will pay for itself over the years and think of it as an insurance policy.

Do yourself a favor and look around, find something good and be happy if you never have to use it, but be so freaking thankful if you do and have it. A good set will be the difference in enjoying your round and being miserable.

Experienced this on Sunday.

I was just looking at some this week and just can't pull the trigger yet.

I have some callaway ones laying around for a year or so with tags still on them. :confused:

Good PSA. It’s one thing you have but hope to never have to use. Can’t say that about too much other golf gear, apparel or accessories.

Is there something that can fix hitting into a 20 mph headwind on all 18 holes at TPC Las Vegas? Asking for a friend.

I'm quite sure it's been covered, but what are some recommendations? I have rain gear, but I suspect with technology advances much better rain gear exists.

This is just a bit of a PSA. If you are a golfer that plans on traveling for golf, or wants to travel for golf or wants to play in a THP Experience, invest in some rain gear.

There is literally nothing worse than getting a chance to play some dream course and have it raining to ruin your fun. A good set of rain gear, while pricy, will pay for itself over the years and think of it as an insurance policy.

Do yourself a favor and look around, find something good and be happy if you never have to use it, but be so freaking thankful if you do and have it. A good set will be the difference in enjoying your round and being miserable.
Can confirm I was very damp at ballyhack.

Stop Having me spend money!!! I will own a Galway Bay set soon.

I'm quite sure it's been covered, but what are some recommendations? I have rain gear, but I suspect with technology advances much better rain gear exists.
I bought a set of Marmot rain gear, goretex, before my trip to Bandon, and it has served me very well. It is lightweight, packs down compactly, and being Goretex, it works.

This is the jacket. It usually goes on a pretty good sale. The hood doesn't stow, but I don't think it gets in my way when I am playing. It comes in very handy when it is windy and raining hard.

Men's GORE-TEX® Minimalist Jacket | Marmot

good rain gear is imperative.
Love golfing in Pacific NW, rains often.

worth the investment.

I have a good jacket but pants I do not,

I use the Galway Bay set we reviewed earlier this year because I think the pants are the most comfortable.

For something a bit more budget minded, check out the Puma stuff on BudgetGolf. A lot of times huge markdowns and I have the last years jacket and it worked pretty darn well.

I’m steadfast in it being golf specific too, due to the motion of the swing

Always ... rain gear & waterproof shoes. Nothing worse than getting wet & staying wet. Don't forget the umbrella as well. I have a set of pants & jacket from FJ that I use. One of the best out there. I know there are better, but these work in everything except a torrential downpour for hours. Then my jacket may not repel all the water. But .. I shouldn't be playing in that anyway :eek:

rain gear has never been a thing for me. I have never even considered it. But, for the purposes of THP golf, I could see it becoming a thing.

Is there any real discernible difference between getting ‘golf specific’ rain gear vs just waterproof pants and a thin waterproof jacket? Besides price of course.

For you people that have water that falls from the sky regularly, do you see that a jacket generally is enough for you? Or do you go full gear?

Is there any real discernible difference between getting ‘golf specific’ rain gear vs just waterproof pants and a thin waterproof jacket? Besides price of course.
Yes.

Took care of this over the winter. I had been meaning to since being caught last summer in a tournament. Not quite as glamorous as a new driver or that putter you have been eyeing but equally as good an investment

This is a good tip. And shoutout to Budget Golf, as I’ve already picked up some rain gear last year due to some great deals. BG came through for the BG Championship before I was even selected!

REI has a good selection of rain pants at all different price points. They also offer slimmer fitting rain pants as I find many of the golf brand rain pants pretty baggy. When walking in rain like I did last week, I like to also protect my clubs.

75D0EA30-BBC6-4943-A2D0-B6E6712DE3D7.jpegDBD65B22-5CD0-4FDE-A161-26403DC2C22D.jpeg

I got a pair of Galway Bay lined pants a few years ago. They have actual waist size and inseam and fit almost like regular pants. Game changer. If I was going to recommend a product that is not from Budget Golf, this would probably be it. They've got some new styles now that are tapered leg and chino style and they're pretty awesome.

for as little as I play in rain, I plan to use a thin northface non-golf rain jacket for now. will report back if it makes golf miserable.

I use the Galway Bay set we reviewed earlier this year because I think the pants are the most comfortable.

For something a bit more budget minded, check out the Puma stuff on BudgetGolf. A lot of times huge markdowns and I have the last years jacket and it worked pretty darn well.

I’m steadfast in it being golf specific too, due to the motion of the swing
HA! I didn't even see this before I commented.

Yes, but depending on what non golf specific items you look at, it might not matter.

The marmot jacket I linked to above isn't golf specific, but it doesn't hinder my swing. YMMV.

Back