Iron Swing - How Much Effort?

How hard is your full iron swing

• Happy Gilmore

• As hard as possible while staying in balance

• I never swing my irons at 100%

Results are only viewable after voting.
I try and swing smooth and consistent - never 100% unless I’m messing around on the range. But even then, gotta push the reset and knock out a couple smooth ones for muscle memory.

Don’t be afraid to try X7’s/PX 7.0 in your irons. It’s common for people to assume that they are too stiff for everyone, but they might be perfect for you.

6i numbers from my last session are attached. That was with X100’s and I’ve since switched to PX 7.0 and am hitting longer and straighter than I ever have. I want to test some left dash Pro V1X’s as well seeing the spin profile.

Interesting thought and appreciate the suggestion. I actually had PX 6.5 in the irons originally and although they really helped on a 2-way miss focus I was having, I never felt they really released at impact. Felt a bit dead in my hands at times. With the same club head speed as I posted, I was getting 5 mph less ball speed and 500 rpm less spin with the PX 6.5's. I switched to the Oban CT125's because as soon tried them back to back against the PX 6.5's, mph soared up to the 128-130 mph range up from 122-123 range, spin rate increased and I was getting 3 degrees more descent angle. They just felt like they were snapping through the ball really well and I regained some feel of the club head. They are 125g S+ shafts and I think they are a pretty good match for my swing tempo.

Just as a comparison if i look at your SS and BS numbers, I am generating pretty close to the same ball speed on 5 mph less swing speed. I like feeling like the shaft is releasing in time with my swing and I wonder if trying a PX 7.0 for instance I would actually lose that release feel. I think with your SS you can get them to snap through the ball well but not sure I can pull that off. I don't have fast swing muscles like you do. :p 98mph 6i is crazy swing speed.

Last edited:
I swing as hard as I can while still keeping my balance through out the swing. Balance is one of my more important factors I strive for in my swing. This of course is not my 100%, fastest swing.

If I try to swing out of my shoes, my accuracy suffers tremendously.

A few decades ago I did the 80% of of my fastest swing scenario. These days my swing is probably 80% of that original 80%. Probably lost close to 15 yards per club.

I think I am mostly 80% swing with irons.

I find it's something I have to periodically reign in/dial back. I get myself to a nice controlled swing and start hitting the ball well - then as I get more confident I gradually start swinging longer/harder, and everything starts falling apart. I remind myself to swing easy and keep it under control and things get better - then as I get more confident I gradually start swinging longer/harder, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat over and over.

I generally swing a bit too hard. My tempo is something I need to slow down and get better control of this year.

I swing at 100% of what is required by the shot. That means sometimes I am swinging as hard as I can, and others much much less than that. But in my mind I think 100% so that I am committed.

I should swing smooth but I have a hard time not going at the ball too hard.

It's like dancing - Tempo and Rhythm for the required shot at a controllable speed.

For a driver, balance. Those clubs are so large and forgiving as long as I don't get a heel or toe shot, my instructor has me swinging almost out of my shoes as long as I have good balance.

Last edited:
I keep the takeaway to about 80%, never letting the shaft get to the parallel position. On the downswing I just let my natural tempo take over.

Well, at least those are the intentions. I think I can drop 10 shots if I can do them successfully most of the times.

I see some guys (non pros) swing an iron like they are swinging their driver and not sure why that is because most of the time it does not make the second shot any better unless they do hit the "golden" yardage area where the next club is dialed in.

I like to go after it, I think trying to swing too slow and easy is worse than too fast for most shots, tension is the real killer so I relax my body, but swing fairly quick with good tempo.

Iron Swing - How Much Effort?

"As hard as possible while staying in balance", which means "I never swing my irons 100%".

When I use my body, like really swing hard, I really don't gain that much distance. If I swing it as hard as I possibly could, I could probably hit my 7 iron close to 170 if I caught it right. Like, really swung out of my shoes using every muscle to twist and push the club and hard as I can.

A normal shot, I plan on 160-165 and it feels relatively easy for me. Effectively, my normal shot is 90% but it probably feels like 60% to me.

I am a high lag player if you looked at my swing. I get virtually all of my swing speed by snapping the club through at the last second. A whole bunch of other motion really doesn't add much to it and in general, frequently causes a mis hit. I strongly suspect that a lot of what people describe in this thread is related to this issue, either having a lot of lag or not.

When I use my legs and keep the body sequencing timed with tempo, it feels like I am swinging no more than 75%. But I get the same or even higher swing speeds. One key for me is to start the body before I finish the backswing. If I start with my arms, I'm toast. When I purposefully try to swing harder I can often use too much arms and get the opposite outcome, often with other less desired ball strike scenarios as well.

A trap for me with thinking easier swing is deceleration. I always need to make a good move through the ball. Choking up, 3/4 backswing, etc. are fine. But trying to swing slower is always a mess for me.

I always feel like my speed through impact is greatest when I'm relaxed and swinging with good balance, timing and sequence. It feels like the opposite of swinging hard.

That said, I'd say I go at most shots at about 90%.

When my round goes south I tend to swing very hard out of frustration. When I do this I almost always hit the ball better. I guess I could get in better shape and try this for a full round. If I tried it right now I would be crazy sore and tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not agree with separating "iron swing" from any other golf swing.
At the 1998 US Open I stood at the Olympic Club driving range watching Payne Stewart work thru an entire bucket of balls, from SW to 8-iron to 5-iron to 2-iron to the driver. The pace-tempo-rhythm of his swing was the same for all those clubs.

Last edited:
At the 1998 US Open I stood at the Olympic Club driving range watching Payne Stewart work thru an entire bucket of balls, from S to 8-iron to 5-iron to 2-iron to the driver. The pace-tempo-rhythm of his swing was the same for all those clubs.
You know, for so many rounds in the last few years, my first drive off the first hole is often the longest of the round. It's the swing where I'm just trying to feel the club head and get it out into the fairway with an easy swing. The driver swing generally goes downhill as I start to gain confidence and swing harder.

The driver swing generally goes downhill as I start to gain confidence and swing harder.

That's not unusual. It's very common for players to strike some solid shots feel some confidence, and then start going at the ball harder-faster.
This is a primary reason for finding and using a good effective pre shot routine . For example, one's preshot routine might be look at target, one deep breath, a little half length practice swing etc... Having a simple-easy to repeat pre shot routine will help you find a consistent swing tempo-pace throughout the round.

Last edited:
Swinging hard is what I did until last week when I had my first lesson. Slowed it down and more control with same distance

At the 1998 US Open I stood at the Olympic Club driving range watching Payne Stewart work thru an entire bucket of balls, from SW to 8-iron to 5-iron to 2-iron to the driver. The pace-tempo-rhythm of his swing was the same for all those clubs.
That is the nice thing about golf, to each his own. If we look at all the pro golfers throughout the years we can certainly see the many different swings they used. I feel that some things are constant but swing speeds are adjusted by many golfers to play what they believe is the best shot for them.

I had read somewhere that when asked most pro golfers said they did adjust swing speeds depending on the shot needed. I like seeing both sides of this topic - very informative.

Harder does not equal faster. In fact, a lot of time swinging slower and in better tempo/form, will actually allow you to swing faster. IMO you should never have to feel like you’re swinging your irons at 100% every single time. It should feel controlled and in tempo.

I think for higher handicap players, they do equate harder with faster. But “harder” as a thought comes along with effort and tension. Tense muscles = slower swing speed.

So I focus on relaxing prior to swinging. It feels slower and less of an effort, but the ball usually goes much farther.

I don’t know who came up with the phrase, but I hear Martin Chuck say it a lot: “We want effortless power, not powerless effort.”

Back