Irons - Callaway Diablo Edge vs. Mizuno MX1000 vs. Taylor Made R9

E Lee

Reaction score
Handicap
Have just started reading the reviews and the posts...love the site.

So after 10 years, I'm back in the market for new irons (drivers too, but that's later). I play to a 15, although the number of rounds I play has decreased a lot recently (from 10-20 rounds to now 5 +/- rounds a year). Irons have never been really a weakness, although lately I have been noticing that I've been hooking them a lot as well as hitting them a bit fat (shaft issue?).

My clubs currently are Ping I3s (stiff shaft) and a Taylor Made R7 driver (also stiff). I love the clubs, but have heard the new SGI clubs may help a lot (would love to hear if the new irons are in fact that much better). I hit my 7 iron 160 and driver in the 250 yard range. I also don't know if I should trade down to a regular flex...I'm 42 now and in good shape, but have never really swung particularly fast.

As for irons, I'm really just looking to hit them far and straight (yes, I know). But what I mean is that I'm not really looking to shape my shots now...I don't play or practice enough to do that effectively. I just want to be able to go to a course and have fun, which for me is straight. From what I've been reading on your site, it seems like that puts me in the SGI category.

Based on the reviews, the Diablo, Mizuno MX1000s and TM R9 stood out. So I went to a local store and hit them indoors (unfortunately just into a net...no monitor around). The Diablos "felt" the best...felt like I had the best contact, just very smooth. The Mizunos were also great...contact seemed harder, but hit them well. I also felt that I could feel mishits more, and at least indoors, they felt like they might go farther (although I have no idea). The R9s were just a step below the others in terms of feel. I did try the Nikes and Pings, and just didn't like them nearly as much.

So a few questions to the group.
1. Thoughts between the 3? I kinda want to like the Mizunos more, but the Diablo felt great. Just worry that it mutes the feedback "too" much (if that's possible).
2. It seems like the R9 is viewed by others as not really in the SGI category...will it ultimately be a tougher club to hit for someone like me who doesn't really play a lot anymore?
3. I've been reading a lot about this uniflex shaft for Callaway. I thought the one I was hitting was a regular flex...are they only sold in uniflex shafts?
4. Anyone have any places to recommend in the Boston area to get fitted (and really try) all 3? And can you go to a place with all the high tech indoor equipment, or do you really need to try them outside too?
5. I've also read that the lofts are stronger for the Callaways, which to me sounds like cheating. Does anyone know if the lofts for the MX1000 and TM R9 are that different than the Diablos?

Thanks! Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the site!

I would defer to a fitter as far as shaft options go. Nobody here can really help you like a fitter will.

As far as the irons go, I would also throw the Adams A7oS out there as an SGI option. I play the A3os and they really get the ball out there high and straight.

The R9's are great clubs, but not even close to an SGI club. The TM Burners might be worth trying out?

I don't think stronger lofts equal cheating at all. All you should be concerned about is what distance you get from each club. The number is just that. A number.

Im not sure I can help you much other than to say I have used and tested all three sets. Most of the people at our last outing and demo day did as well. All three are great sets. I would also say that I do not consider any of these SGI except maybe the Diablo Edge. All three are good irons. But I also think all three are very different irons.

Diablo Edge - Incredible Burner like distance, really high ball flight and perhaps the most forgiveness on the toe we have ever seen.

R9 - Performance packed into a GI iron like few we have seen before. Great feel rivals that of many softer metals and solid all around iron. Played them for months.

MX1000 - Solid GI iron that offers good feel and good forgiveness.

You really cannot go wrong with any of them. Try them all and get them fit for you and you will be happy for years to come.

As for stronger lofts, that is just the business nowadays. 45* PW for GI clubs, but keep in mind, even players irons are strong lofted now. Bridgestone J38 has a 46* PW. I guess I am a little confused though. If you hit them all and the Diablo Edges performed the best, why not take a shot? it seems as though you want to get talked out of them...hehe

:welcome:

You may be right on trying to convince myself out of the Diablos! I've never really considered myself a "Callaway" guy, but I do have to say they felt great indoors. I should probably just stop on the R9s and try the Burners instead. I just hope these clubs are better than my Ping I3s...they are going to be missed.

At the end of the day, it's scores and results right? If one brand of equipment gets you those things then great. If it's a whole mish-mash of different brands then that's great too. Everyone's bag is different. My new favorite saying that I'm stealing from a Nike rep I talked to at a demo day is 'golf isn't a beauty or popularity contest....if something works, use it.'

You may be right on trying to convince myself out of the Diablos! I've never really considered myself a "Callaway" guy, but I do have to say they felt great indoors. I should probably just stop on the R9s and try the Burners instead. I just hope these clubs are better than my Ping I3s...they are going to be missed.

I just went through a similar situation and wound up getting the Diablo Edge's. They just felt the best to me when I tried out different models. I agonized over going with TaylorMade's since I'm not much of a "Callaway guy" myself but the Diablo's just felt right to me so I got them. I went with the 3h, 4h, 5-PW irons set. Only had them a few weeks now but loving them so far....

I've also recently tested all of those sets. Like everyone's saying, go with what you think feels best. For me it was down to the Diablo Edge's and the Machspeeds. I thought they felt very similar, but to me the Machspeeds felt a little smoother and I felt like the Edge's had kind of a heavy feel to them. But its all down to what feels right for you, they're all great sets. Good luck!

E Lee:

I recently went down a similar path, even starting with Ping i3 blades from 10 years ago. I settled on the Nike Machspeeds because they have a bit less offset than the Diablo Edges.

I tested both against the Pings on a launch monitor and found that the Diablos and Machspeeds performed very similarly. Compared to my old Pings, both showed more forgiveness on off-center hits (shot dispersion was significantly tighter) and about half a club longer in distance for both the Nikes and Callaways. On the course, the wider sole of the Nikes has helped with slightly fat shots (my nemesis); based on my testing, I think the Diablo Edge's would offer the same benefit.

I also tried TM Burners and didn't get anything out of them vs. the Ping i3s. The Burners do go farther, but a Burner 6-iron spec's out about the same as the i3 5-iron in both loft and shaft length, so that can be misleading.

Back