Irons: What is most important to you?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the #1 thing you look for in irons you decide to put in the bag long term?

I would have to say forgiveness would be the first and most important thing I would look for in irons.

Not sure there is only 1 factor. But if I had to say 1 its feel. Even up with that though would be Launch/Spin/Descent angle. Distance and forgiveness are secondary.

Looks.

If I dont like how they look they aren't going into the bag.

Consistency. Close second is feel.

Looks for sure. Little offset preferably. Used to really care about chunky ness but now I don’t think I’d mind too bad. Actually would love to give something like the t rails or the Cleveland launchers a try.

next I look for feel.

feel. performance...not necessarily in that order.

Look at address for the scoring set for sure. I need to feel comfy when I address the ball.

gonna sound stupid but for me I go with what makes me most confident, that looks nice, makes me want to hit it.

I went a few years back and got semi fitted for irons. Hit a bunch of different sets but was hitting the mizuno j something the best. I really didn't like the look but let the guy talk me into them. Got on the course and just hated them. They were gone before the summer was over.

If I had to pick one, which I do, it’s the fee on the low on the face miss. Does the ball still elevate? Do I still get distance? Do my hands sting? Those are my first concerns.

What is the #1 thing you look for in irons you decide to put in the bag long term?

#1 is definitely that the iron shaft produces good shots from comfortable swings.

Used to be
Looks, Feel and forgiveness in that order.

Now since I am kind a smarter/less ego
Forgiveness, Looks and Feel.

I thought I was good iron player but my GIR is area I need the most improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofts (irrespective of number stampings).

Off my swing, irons seem to play pretty true to their lofts.
This is simply fact arrived at first by experience and confirmed by GPS.
The clubs can be equally forgiving, with equal dispersion,
which is important,
but if the lofts fall in a place which puts set composition in a familiar place,
I'm more likely to choose those irons.

The lofts on my new 4 iron to "gap wedge two" set fall right into my 2-iron to pitching wedge wheelhouse, so that contributed to the choice between clubs that I liked equally well otherwise.

#1 is definitely that the iron shaft produces good shots from comfortable swings.
So your #1 about irons, isn’t the iron at all? Interesting strategy.

Ball flight. That's launch and peak height. I like seeing the ball fly at a certain trajectory and that breeds confidence.

So your #1 about irons, isn’t the iron at all? Interesting strategy.

If the iron head design is relatively normal, for example one designed/produced within the past 20 years and not of too extreme small or large size, then I think the shaft is 75% of what matters pertaining to a golf iron.
The other 25% of factors, in no particular order ,I think are head size and shape, sole width, cavity back vs muscle back.

Looks, feel and forgiveness in that order.

It all starts with looks for me. If I don't like what I am looking at, that is just another variable to overcome in a game that is already hard enough.

Forgiveness is #1 for me.

Looks.

If I dont like how they look they aren't going into the bag.
This! Even if something performs better than said club, if I don’t like the way it looks I won’t have it in the bag.

Forgiveness, Feel, Looks

#1. It needs to stand up to a swing that can go haywire at times, and allow for bad contact to produce passable shots.

#2. If I put said bad contact to the test, I don't want my hands/wrists to be aching telling me I hit a bad one. I need somewhat of a more muted feel (I don't know how to put it). I want some feedback. But not feedback that makes me want to drop an iron after bad contact.

#3. If it doesn't suit the eye, it probably doesn't stick in the bag. Lets face it, people prefer good looking things. (Its why the wife chose me..... /sarcasm)

Shape.

It’s what you see fist. It also has such a huge affect on you confidence.

Back