Is a burger a sandwich?

I think a burger is...

• A sandwich

Votes: 57 73.1%
  • Not a sandwich

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters
Is. A burger fits the dictionary definition of a sandwich. For example, Merriam-Webster: two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between. In addition, Merriam-Webster defines a burger as: 1. HAMBURGER. 2. a sandwich similar to a hamburger. So, coming and going a burger is a sandwich.

Last edited:
Regardless of the shape, a burger is between two pieces of bread. That makes it a sandwich.

wow. honestly im shocked at the amount of people calling a BURGER a sandwich.

Apparently im in the minority but a burger is a burger and a sandwich is a sandwich

Im Confused Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I stopped to think about it and now I question everything….

Is there an IDK option…😂

Yep, it’s a type of sandwich.

A burger needs to be ground meat patty on a bun, which makes it different than a sandwich. A turkey club sandwich is an example of a sandwich - bread and sliced meat that is not in the form of a patty. If you have a whole steak or sliced steak with bread or bun, it’s a steak sandwich. It could be a Philly sandwich. If it‘s a ground turkey patty with a bun, it’s a turkey burger. In Wisconsin and Minnesota you can find brat burgers in some restaurants. It’s a burger because it ground meat in patty form on a bun. If it’s in a casing and served on a hot dog style bun, it’s just a brat.

If your going to loosely bastardize the term and call a burger a sandwich, then so is a hot dog or quesadilla.

Last edited:
I believe the future of humanity rests on the outcome of this poll, and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

My house voted yes to sandwich. At first the wife said no "a sandwich is cold cuts" then I pointed out what is a "chicken sandwich then"? She changed her vote to yes

If you go back to old high school biology class…
Phylum —> sandwich
Class—> burger
Order—> cheeseburger

If the type of bread and what’s inside of it don’t matter when classifying what is a sandwich then a quesadilla is a sandwich.

Going with sandwich as I prefer my burger carefully placed between 2 slices of toasted Italian bread.

an Italian beef / roast beef / French dip / prime rib sandwich are all beef sandwiches

a burger, also made of beef, is not in that same classification of a beef sandwich.....because it is a burger!

if I asked for a beef sandwich I could guarantee no-one would serve me a burger

This is why I voted no
1706722747934.png

Don't change my burger!
God bless AI art lol

1706722936303.png
1706723030241.png

I think it is a sandwich. I dont care enough to be too concerned either way though. I just want a burger now.

just like this poll, apparently im in the minority. Asked 4 people in my office and everyone said yes a burger is a sandwich

I don't follow you. How is that NOT the definition of a sandwich?
Haha not too sure, but a burger uses a bun/roll and a sandwich uses bread per the Oxford Languages dictionary.
That would be my only argument for this.

1706799256605.png

Back