Is all new equipment created equal?

Its just not the case. Design and materials play such a huge role. Take hollow body for example. There are a few designs that come to mind Cleveland MT, Big Bertha, Nike Vapor Speed. Each of these is a hollow design where the face can be thinner because they are designing them similar to that of a metal wood. Now the same category will have Wilson D200, Callaway XR, TaylorMade AeroBurner, Ping G30 and their design model is completely different.

At the end of the day the whole category is designed to get the ball in the air by moving weight way back, but they all deliver it in a completely different package. Ball speed retention away from the center is so varied on each of these, and while I know here on the internet, people dont miss the sweet spot much, in real life myself and others do. The hollow body designs offer so much retention laterally and yet the D200s offer more low and the G30s offer more high.

Another example is sole design, size, shape, etc. Take the Callaway Apex and Srixon 545. Both similar offerings, great irons and their sole designs are 100% different. They go the same distance, yet feel and sound completely different and perform very different for varied players.

This is something that gets tossed around a lot and I am not here to change anybody's mind. But based on what is out there, it's just not accurate. To give you an example, if you go back and read posts from 2008 and 2009, you will hear the exact same thing. Now take a larger club headed iron used for forgiveness and compare it to one of the hollow body irons from today...Its night and day. The same will be said a few years from now and so on and so on.

This is an exceptional post.

I learned a lot from that last post JB. I knew both D200s and G30 were forgiving, but didn't know that the differences were between high and low. Good stuff.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

At the end of the day the whole category is designed to get the ball in the air by moving weight way back, but they all deliver it in a completely different package. Ball speed retention away from the center is so varied on each of these, and while I know here on the internet, people dont miss the sweet spot much, in real life myself and others do. The hollow body designs offer so much retention laterally and yet the D200s offer more low and the G30s offer more high.

I would love to see some robot numbers on this on how many percent difference that might be. I'm guessing ranging in 1-3% rather than 10-25% range. Would love to be proven otherwise though. I don't really take that personally since it's not really me who designs the club :p

I would love to see some robot numbers on this on how many percent difference that might be. I'm guessing ranging in 1-3% rather than 10-25% range. Would love to be proven otherwise though. I don't really take that personally since it's not really me who designs the club :p

Easy. Make it to a THP Event, and you can test it yourself on FlightScope.

Back